Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just downloaded it but the contact tracing setup seems to be broken as you can’t do it.

Have you turned on Bluetooth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Also if android the google play services need to be up to date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭plodder

That's great, and good idea to spread the news by using the "share app" option which can post on facebook and possibly other social media platforms.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It seems that the Apple version of the app is not available for international users. Can't be used then by visitors?

From what I've read, countries that are actively trying to control incomers are quarantining (enforced/monitored) and/or keeping most non-citizen travellers coming from certain countries out, not using voluntary apps to keep track of them. Relying on an a bluetooth phone application for that doesn't seem like the best approach to me (?), so not sure it would matter if they cannot install it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Have just downloaded it there from the play store no bother.

Have no qualms about privacy or data in this sense because of what it is needed for.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Have you turned on Bluetooth?

I never turn it off. Asks for my number but even when I put it in it says it’s not set up on the tab at the bottom. When I try set up again it directs me to put in my number again. Just a loop of that.

I never turn it off. Asks for my number but even when I put it in it says it’s not set up on the tab at the bottom. When I try set up again it directs me to put in my number again. Just a loop of that.

Restart phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

iOS 14 dev beta, and it says that COVID-19 Exposure Logging is not available in my region when I go to settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Had a look at the source code 2 weeks ago when they put it up on github. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Downloaded it this evening, simple and effective. No nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,639 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Gael23 wrote: »
    No, huge invasion of privacy. Amazed it was approved by Data Protection

What exactly are you up to that's so private that you don't want to download an app that will help us in the fight against a pandemic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭plodder

App registrations gone from over 500 to over 10K in the last 30 minutes. Impressive.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Had a look at the source code 2 weeks ago when they put it up on github. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Downloaded it this evening, simple and effective. No nonsense.

I would see it as useful for pub restaurant or match settings as we emerge out of the immediate danger and things normalise. A price of greater freedom I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Whoever the HSE hired to build the site did a great job. https://covidtracker.gov.ie/

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just installed it no problem without having to input my number. I was able to just skip past that part. The app will notify me anyway if I've come into contact with someone I'd rather not have, so there's no need for the number.

What exactly are you up to that's so private that you don't want to download an app that will help us in the fight against a pandemic?

You will find a lot of these privacy nuts post everything about their life all over facebook etc :D

Zaph wrote: »
    Just installed it no problem without having to input my number. I was able to just skip past that part. The app will notify me anyway if I've come into contact with someone I'd rather not have, so there's no need for the number.

Is your tracing saying set up or not though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Especially when it doesn’t have access to your location.

I wonder if people spouting this nonsense about tracking your every moment realize that you're not important enough for the government to warrant tracking you.

In any case, the app is decentralized. The only way the HSE get data is if you click submit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I would see it as useful for pub restaurant or match settings as we emerge out of the immediate danger and things normalise. A price of greater freedom I think.

I was thinking it should be made mandatory for enterance into pubs, clubs (if we ever reopen them), cinemas, gyms and other similar buildings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

jetsonx wrote: »
    I know about the potential downsides. But this is really a matter of life and death.

All this talk about Big Data. All the frankly useless and sh1t apps people install on their phones. This is one case where technology could be leveraged directly to save lives. In fact, it seems bizarre that we're not doing something like this. We have enough software developers living here. The telecom infrastructure is already in place.

You need to look at the demographics in a lot more granularity and with more forensic examination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

spookwoman wrote: »
    You will find a lot of these privacy nuts post everything about their life all over facebook etc :D

You will also find that many don't have Facebook accounts too. Although maybe you won't as they keep their personal information and data to themselves where ever possible

Found out why the tracing won’t set up on the iPhone, in the phone settings covid 19 tracing is not allowed in this region yet apparently. Presumably that’ll have to be an iOS update.

sY2rt1l.png

You will also find that many don't have Facebook accounts too. Although maybe you won't as they keep their personal information and data to themselves where ever possible

I hate these nutters that think this app is sending off a load of data. It has been throughly reviewed by the public who know how to and are the most privacy concered along with Apple and Google for compliance with their no tracking requirements to be allowed to be listed as the official covid app in a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Does bluetooth need to be on constamtly for the app to work?

Found out why the tracing won’t set up on the iPhone, in the phone settings covid 19 tracing is not allowed in this region yet apparently.

At some point you selected the UK or some other country as your region or changed region to the uk to get siri working like used to be required or bought a phone from abroad. Somewhere in settings region should be an option you might be able to change it to Ireland or on your IOS/Google account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭Pistachio19

Mine says "Unfortunately this device does not support Contact Tracing. You can still use the app for COVID Check-in and Updates"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Whoever the HSE hired to build the site did a great job. https://covidtracker.gov.ie/

Self praise is no praise :D

Does bluetooth need to be on constamtly for the app to work?

Low energy bluetooth yes. It will use much less than 1% of your battery per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yeah, we already know you won't use the application. Think you told us trusting sheep twice already.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    Self praise is no praise :D

Huh?

Advertisement