Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Laminate flooring

• 30-04-2020 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a question about replacing laminate flooring.

Flooring in the bedroom are showing their age with some of the laminate breaking away from the wheels under the bed so I am thinking of replacing them.

Would prefer NOT to remove the skirting boards and would hope that the replacement laminate flooring will fit under the existing skirting boards.

Has anyone replaced their laminate flooring and if so did they do so without removing the skirting boards

And if the answer to these is yes what tips do you have for starting to remove the flooring - how would you gain access to the first strips of laminate

Hope I made myself clear!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Can’t see any way that you could get it under without taking the skirts off. Possibly on the edge you start on but beyond that I can’t see how.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭tritriagain

salmocab wrote: »
    Can’t see any way that you could get it under without taking the skirts off. Possibly on the edge you start on but beyond that I can’t see how.

If you don't want to remove skirting run new floor upto skirting ,allowing for expansion,and then run a trim molding around the skirting. I did this in my hall and it looks nice especially if trim and skirting are painted rather than stained.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

salmocab wrote: »

Was thinking that too or remove a skirting boards at an inconspicuous location to start the removal process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Le shovelle

Run a circular saw down the existing floor to cut out a section and pry it up with a nail bar.
    Lay new floor as tight as possible to existing skirting and nail on a trim piece to conceal the edges.
    The store you bought the floor from might have trim to match the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Far easier and quicker for a flooring fitter to take off the skirting and fit a new floor then refit skirting.
    Or fit new floor and fit a Scotia moulding on to the skirting afterwards .

Its not impossible to do in a smallish room leaving the skirting on.
    Lay fully under the skirting on one side and corner then try and slide floor to go under skirting on opposite side and corner using window suckers and a bucket of good luck.
    Could be tricky around the doorway hence the bucket of good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement