Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Laptop Advice - budget around £600

Comments

the matebook d is much better in terms of build quality -> all metail and ips screen

the honor magicbook is the same make (huawei) and pretty much the same laptop - at box.co.uk for £550 for 256gb ssd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I bought the matebook D 14 last week on Glasso's advice. It arrived yesterday. It's a neat little thing. Slim. Decent specs. The webcam is hidden in the keyboard and it doesnt give the best angles which I learned on a zoom call yesterday but that's not really a huge thing for me tbh but that's probably the only downside I've seen so far.

I got it from box.co.uk and used address pal. Was a very quick turnaround.

I'm happy with the purchase anyway. Exactly what I was after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I bought the matebook D 14 last week on Glasso's advice. It arrived yesterday. It's a neat little thing. Slim. Decent specs. The webcam is hidden in the keyboard and it doesnt give the best angles which I learned on a zoom call yesterday but that's not really a huge thing for me tbh but that's probably the only downside I've seen so far.

I got it from box.co.uk and used address pal. Was a very quick turnaround.

I'm happy with the purchase anywa. Exactly what I was after.

Useful to know! I've been trying to find out a couple of other things about this model - maybe you could help me? (It's on my shortlist of 3 and I need a laptop ASAP).

How good is the screen at colours? I work a lot with (still) images, and know it's fiddly and maybe pointless to match screen colours with photo and printing colours, but it would be good to get at least some idea on screen of whether for instance a photo has captured some detail in the darkest areas, and in clouds. I don't need colours to look more "punchy" on.the screen than they are (though maybe they could be toned down if necessary?). I could see for myself at a glance, but it's a day's work to drive to a decent computer shop & back, plus I'm supposed to isolating because of age!

The other thing is, would I be able to use Chrome, Google Drive & Docs etc, to mesh in with the work in my Android phone? (No matter if it's fiddly to set up - I've got used to that over the years!).

The others on my shortlist are the Lenovo Yoga C740 and Asos VivoBook S14.

Found the answer re the Huawei and Google stuff! :-(
    https://support.google.com/android/thread/29434011?hl=en

that Huawei issue with Android phones has no impact on their windows laptops.

the screen on this has nice viewing angles and contrast as is IPS, but it's not especially colour accurate.

the sRGB % is not that high.

if you really need very accurate colours go for something with near or exceeding 100% on sRGB value (yes it can go over 100%)

• Advertisement

Thank you glasso (guess Microsoft involvement should have been a clue!).

And that RGB tip is just what I needed. (If detailed specs or a general search don't help, I can always consult/ask at photography-oriented websites).

Advertisement