Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LTE Router opinions

• 30-04-2020 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭

I currently have a WISP serving me, but at times like this, with contention etc, sometimes 3/4G is faster and I use an old phone as a hotspot.

I was thinking about making it a more permanent solution and if it's fantastic and pays off maybe lose the WISP. But at the least I'd have a good fallback option.

On that note, I saw this recommended. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TKFKLCI/

What is the opinion on it? Too expensive or good value? I'm very rural, mast is not close, and the house is a 2-storey so an external antenna on the roof isn't possible (for me personally at least) at the mo. However there is more or less clear line of sight to the mast from the house.

I also WFH regardless of Covid-19 and need to hang on a year or 2 more before NBP comes knocking.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Its not a bad router I had one, folks have it now.

Fairly rugged, best part is the fact it can be wall mounted so you have some options. with getting better signals.
    Hard to swap out sim cards as you need to unscrew it apart.

Web Interface is fairly rubbish!

I got a TPlink like this one for a couple years.

https://www.komplett.ie/D-Link-DWR-921-4G-LTE-Router/20205605/product?channable=e38727.MjAyMDU2MDU&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7qn1BRDqARIsAKMbHDbQk_DKICRgaRvlNMdDEFgaXQ6O6ABRvWfHkCB3yMdsImweMVeVWEUaAjWbEALw_wcB
    Range on that one in the house was pretty good a little better.
    Web interface was a good bit better with a simple click in an out for sim card swapping.

I now just have the 3 Huawai B525.
    Great interface, would be easy to swap simcards if you picked it up unlocked.
    5G range is brutal, as to be expected, regular range is a little less then the TP in the same location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Thanks for the info. I missed the bit about the SIM slot being internal. TBH it's a secondary SIM and I wouldn't be using it elsewhere.

My main requirement is it's ability to pick up the signal, without going to an external antenna (but that option is not completely off the table). The range through the house is gonna be shyte guaranteed as it's an old farmhouse with 2-foot thick stone walls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Pique wrote: »
    I currently have a WISP serving me, but at times like this, with contention etc, sometimes 3/4G is faster and I use an old phone as a hotspot.

I was thinking about making it a more permanent solution and if it's fantastic and pays off maybe lose the WISP. But at the least I'd have a good fallback option.

On that note, I saw this recommended. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TKFKLCI/

What is the opinion on it? Too expensive or good value? I'm very rural, mast is not close, and the house is a 2-storey so an external antenna on the roof isn't possible (for me personally at least) at the mo. However there is more or less clear line of sight to the mast from the house.

I also WFH regardless of Covid-19 and need to hang on a year or 2 more before NBP comes knocking.

You have a lot of things to take into considertation. I am using my 3 sim in a Huawei B593S-12 4G router I bought off ebay cheap it is connected to a 4G 360 omni.

Putting your external antenna might not get you the best speeds, line of sight will be best if possible but it all depends on the sectors on your nearest $G mast.

In my case I get best speeds at a lower hight as it seems to get the best connection to the mast sector. I did a lot of testing to find the best location and get up to 50mbps down.

You also fill to consider how buy the local mast you connect to is, if it has alot of users you mignt not achieve high speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

Pique wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I missed the bit about the SIM slot being internal. TBH it's a secondary SIM and I wouldn't be using it elsewhere.

My main requirement is it's ability to pick up the signal, without going to an external antenna (but that option is not completely off the table). The range through the house is gonna be shyte guaranteed as it's an old farmhouse with 2-foot thick stone walls!

You got to be using an outdoor antenna. One of which is a directional panel antenna, pointing to your target mast.LOS is really important.

A combination of low-coast china brand model (TL-MR6400 - w/ easy-to-access sim card slot) plus 3rd party antenna can do the job.

I'll drop this link, you might want to check it out.
    https://signalsolution.novatel.ie/tp-link-tl-mr6400-4g-lte-router

Advertisement