Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend wants to enter Ireland potentially during lockdown

• 30-04-2020 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My friend is from Romania and he regularly visits me here in Ireland.
    At the moment he is in lock down over there until May 15th when that country will re-open.

It seems he is struggling to deal with the whole thing and his outlook seems increasingly bleak when we talk on the phone.
    This is exactly when his trip was planned for here and although I explain we will get another chance to see each other, I can't help but worry from some of the things he has been saying.

He has told me that the countries airline Blue Air will be resuming flights and he could fly as early as May 16th directly to Dublin from Bucharest.
    I feel it would be the best for him to be around people right now and I hope that this is possible although a tall order given the current situation.

We don't know yet what will happen with Ireland's restrictions that are due to expire on May 5th but it's possible that those rules will be extended.
    So I have already explained to him that he would have to self isolate which he can do in a vacant apartment I own. I also told him about the specific rules we have to follow here, much of which also is in place in his own country.

My question is if he arrived on a flight, would it be just a case of explaining that he will self isolate which I understand he will be asked to do for two weeks?.
    This is on May 16th or later, flights are confirmed to happen by airline and it's just the question of where are out restrictions will be at.
    Can he do this and does he have to have visits from officers to check up on him in isolation or anything?. He is more than willing to do that but just wondering how it might work.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i understand your apprehensions, its really hard to have an overview and mental health is strained for many. Even the close future is hard predict. Things can change daily and we all have to adjust. i find communicating with freinds and family helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I don’t recommend he travel before lockdown restrictions have been eased in both countries.

When they have, and provided countries allow it, I don’t see why he shouldn’t be able to come so long as he follows all necessary guidelines.

However some things to consider:

- should he get sick, will he be covered medically in Ireland?
    - if there is a second wave and he cannot return, does he have the means to support himself here?
    - should be not be seeking professional help? It’s not fair to burden untrained friends with problems that even highly trained people struggle to support

I know I’m in a minority with my opinions, but as soon as the lockdown restrictions are eased, and provided it is safe to do so, I will travel on necessary plane journeys with all the proper precautions etc.

By that I mean work trips and visiting very close family who live abroad. My opinion is that someone is as likely to catch it congregating in a home in ireland as they are in an airport/airplane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I too am following developments closely for both the UK as well as Ireland. My personal view is that the lockdown will be lifted here later than the UK and most EU countries who have already started to partially lift the restrictions.

As soon as it's safe, I will be going home to the UK. But I don't see that happening much before the end of summer/early autumn if I'm honest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

There's official guidance on the gov.ie website in relation to people coming into Ireland from abroad.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e885b2-covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice/

I 100% echo what Batgurl has posted above, especially in relation to issues to be considered before your friend travels anywhere.

Advertisement