Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you date a woman who was asexual?

• 30-04-2020 6:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

By asexual, that means she has no interest in sex. Can still enjoy romance and cuddling but no sex whatsoever.

A lot of people think that this type of relationship is only a friendship but people do go into it romantically. I know a woman my age (22) who married a religious 25yr old man that also has a low sex drive. They've told me that they only consummated at marriage and didn't enjoy it much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

oh look …
    another fegelien Sex related thread...…

feck sake lad....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For practically all sexual people, it is a core aspect of any relationship. Along with friendship and emotional support, sexual intimacy and sexual gratification are a pillar of virtually all relationships between sexual people.

The internet is full of very unhappy people in relationships which have lost their sexuality and as a result the whole thing is in ruins.

If someone stated from the outset that sexuality would not form part of any relationship with them, then most sexual people would walk away.

Sex isn't a requirement for being in love. You can love someone, even romantically, without having sex with them. But despite Mr. Lennon's insistence, you need more than love to make a relationship work. Both parties need to be fulfilled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What Seamus said. Jaysus, I'm agreeing 100% with Shay, it's like the old days all over again. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

greenspurs wrote: »
    oh look …
    another fegelien Sex related thread...…

feck sake lad....

Take out "sex" and "related", and you're right on the money!

Eh Mr F, why you discriminating against gay men? Why you specifying only women partners? Gay men can't be gentlemen?? Gay men can't be asexual?? Hmm?? Hmm???? HMM??????

Disclaimer: I'm not inferring or assuming anything, the above is meant entirely in jest of course (hence the overuse of question marks). But now that I think about it, I'm starting to think I may have some semblance of a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dated loads of them. They weren’t at the start, just went that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

By asexual, that means she has no interest in sex. Can still enjoy romance and cuddling but no sex whatsoever.

Wouldn’t actively seek out a relationship like that, but it wouldn’t be an immediate dealbreaker for me personally either.

And Reader... I married her.

A lot of people think that this type of relationship is only a friendship but people do go into it romantically. I know a woman my age (22) who married a religious 25yr old man that also has a low sex drive. They've told me that they only consummated at marriage and didn't enjoy it much.

I have before. I had a girlfriend for two years who received no direct physical pleasure from sexual intercourse. She'd go through the motions with me, because she knew that I wanted to be with her, but she didn't receive the physical rewards. However, per her own words, she received emotional rewards by pleasing me. It made me feel creeped out at times, but the sex wasn't a core part of our relationship.

There's a lot more to most relationships than just sex. Sex is important for many people, and provides a foundation to form connections (and memories) to help relationships stay together in the first few years, but sex doesn't hold the same value for everyone. For myself, I've gone through different phases as to it's importance and also my partner at the time, was also a major factor. I think it also depends on your own personal experience with sex. I started later than most people in exploring my sexuality properly, so I kinda exploded when I was in my 30s, trying everything. That helped enormously because I knew what I was missing or what ticked my boxes.

With my ex, sex wasn't a high priority. There was other concerns, although sex still happened because of physical imperatives... she was gorgeous, and I enjoy sex. So it happened to please me, but, honestly, it was a pretty rare thing, and I didn't miss it that much. We broke up for other reasons.

Lastly, I have another ex who was raped as a young teen, and later again, as an adult. Long before I met her, but her subsequent relationships were with men who didn't appreciate her background. So, her total experiences were with people who weren't gentle, or didn't seek to teach her to enjoy the experience for herself.. also missing was the long talks before anything sexual happened. The point is that many women who feel that they don't enjoy sex, just haven't been given the opportunity to explore their sexuality in a healthy environment. It's not the case that they're asexual.. just that they don't know that there's anything better out there for them.

I think many people would do well to consider and talk about sex before plunging in to engage in it. Too many people are embarrassed by it, or have some really strange ideas of what's involved.

Advertisement