Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry E-Commerce Sites

• 30-04-2020 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of businesses over the years thought that having one page with a photo and contact details was the ultimate online presence. Some sites went a bit further, and showed photos of what they sold. The problem with a lot of those sites was that they didn't quote prices, and they expected potential customers to get in touch with them. They never made it easy for themselves to do business online.

Now of course, with the lockdown, some of them have actually gone the whole hog, and are selling their goods online, the same as thousands of others have been doing for years.

The first one that I spotted, a couple of days ago, was Landers. It looks like they're in the throes of adding more and more stuff to the site, and I hope a lot more local businesses follow this trend.

https://landers.ie/ :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

ejmaztec wrote: »
    A lot of businesses over the years thought that having one page with a photo and contact details was the ultimate online presence. Some sites went a bit further, and showed photos of what they sold. The problem with a lot of those sites was that they didn't quote prices, and they expected potential customers to get in touch with them. They never made it easy for themselves to do business online.

Now of course, with the lockdown, some of them have actually gone the whole hog, and are selling their goods online, the same as thousands of others have been doing for years.

The first one that I spotted, a couple of days ago, was Landers. It looks like they're in the throes of adding more and more stuff to the site, and I hope a lot more local businesses follow this trend.

https://landers.ie/ :)

I can only give an opinion regarding sites, many businesses were sold the Government €2000 free site by Web Designers, I know some of those businesses, but the business does not have the time or ability to maintain the sites.

This involves Website optimisation, Social Media and email marketing, that takes time and effort, therefore the sites are just pages.

I agree that Landers is a decent site BUT it does not have a Returns Policy, which is the first page many customers look for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

newman10 wrote: »
    I can only give an opinion regarding sites, many businesses were sold the Government €2000 free site by Web Designers, I know some of those businesses, but the business does not have the time or ability to maintain the sites.

This involves Website optimisation, Social Media and email marketing, that takes time and effort, therefore the sites are just pages.

I agree that Landers is a decent site BUT it does not have a Returns Policy, which is the first page many customers look for

Perhaps Landers will have a returns policy in place when they realise that they left it out?

I bet the businesses that didn't take e-commerce on board are kicking themselves now, and wish that they had taken the time and the effort to set things up. With the "virus" ruling things for some time to come, a business could be "ticking over" with online sales, or "going under" without.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps Landers will have a returns policy in place when they realise that they left it out?

I bet the businesses that didn't take e-commerce on board are kicking themselves now, and wish that they had taken the time and the effort to set things up. With the "virus" ruling things for some time to come, a business could be "ticking over" with online sales, or "going under" without.

Most of the sites are are on a WordPress platform which are great for Social Media or as Advertising sites but a proper Retail site would need a platform like Shopify and that is much more expensive
    Its also suprising the amount of retailers who are not using Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Schalker

Just ordered chocolate from Skelligs Chocolate Factory online.

They ship to Germany.

Did it before Corona and now during Corona to have them open when I return to the Glen one day when the Epedemic will be over

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

newman10 wrote: »
    Most of the sites are are on a WordPress platform which are great for Social Media or as Advertising sites but a proper Retail site would need a platform like Shopify and that is much more expensive

Woocommerce (the biggest ecommerce plugin for WordPress) runs almost a third of the worlds online stores.

Shopify 10%

• Advertisement

Biggest does not neccisarily make it the best platform

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You should definitely tell the amateurs like

AeroPress
    Singer
    Weber
    Airstream
    The All Blacks
    The Spectator
    Van Heusen
    Skelligs Chocolate

I won't drag the thread any more off topic. Suffice to say the ability/professionalism of an e-commerce site is not related to the underlying platform whether it's woocommerce, shopify, magento or any one of thousands of other options.

It's great to see more companies looking at ecommerce. I suspect/hope we'll see a lot more new entrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Castle Off Licence in Tralee has an online store and delivers nationwide.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

A few of the boutiques in Tralee have set up new websites. Effigy & Rockalilly just in the last couple of weeks. I see Dan Fitzgeralds have a website as do Ross jewellers and Hilsers. CH Chemist have a site, which I've ordered off three times now since lockdown.

Graham wrote: »
    You should definitely tell the amateurs like

AeroPress
    Singer
    Weber
    Airstream
    The All Blacks
    The Spectator
    Van Heusen
    Skelligs Chocolate

I won't drag the thread any more off topic. Suffice to say the ability/professionalism of an e-commerce site is not related to the underlying platform whether it's woocommerce, shopify, magento or any one of thousands of other options.

It's great to see more companies looking at ecommerce. I suspect/hope we'll see a lot more new entrants.

I don't remember using the phrase amateurs about anyone, large or small, but I take it that you do not like to be questioned, we are all entitled to have an opinion...........

• Advertisement
Advertisement