Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

MrStuffins wrote: »

I wish people would stop whining as if they are owed something here.

But people are owed something here. We have basically voluntarily destroyed our own economy in a bid to halt the virus.

When this is done, people will be unemployed maybe homeless, we'll see huge cuts in healthcare, schools, roads - all will have to be paid for through tax hikes. We will be entering into a once in a century depression in all likelihood. People have already sacrificed a lot.

So an easing of restrictions, maybe an increase in the radius for exercise or an increase in the groups you can have would be a fair reward for the work done so far in dropping the infection rate. And if we see an increase in cases, we can roll them back and maybe the clock will reset on people's frustrations for the inevitable second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Originally I wanted to go places and even the next town over to get cakes and stuff for Easter but I sort of snapped out of it.
    I basically said to myself do I want to be a hassle to Gardai and be similar to Gemma O Doherty and her supporters and I said no.

Similar if I had an accident. How would I explain. Myself to nurses,emergency services and people I know locally.

Also if I went to my local town and picked up Covid19 and passed it onto my parents and it finished one of them off I'd feel fairly nad it if I went somewhere on a walk or to buy something and I picked it up. I'd feel even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No your not OP, I want t go back to the office. and to my normal routine. Also I haven't seen my grandparents for 6 weeks now, usually see them weekly.
    My atttiude is we must live with this virus among us and take precautions. Life is too short for these restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

GazzaL wrote: »
    1 is too many. We still don't ban driving.

That's a good point, we don't ban driving, we restrict (speed limits, set areas you can and can't drive in etc...) it much like we are doing for the pandemic.
    We have restricted going outside to curtail spread, we can all still go out, just not to do as we like/as much as we would like.

While I'd agree with lifting some restrictions, I don't have all the data, I don't have advice from the WHO and medical professionals so I let the people that do make the rules (for now).

There will 100% be a report done on the decisions in time and we will know then if they were right or wrong.

If you are having mental health difficulties due to or aggravated by the restrictions please contact a professional for help.
    If you are being abused where you are in lockdown - get out, contact the supports and don't look back
    If you can't resist abusing someone who lives with you as you are at home 24/7 with them then it's not a lockdown issue, it's a you issue.

It's a **** enough situation at the moment but it will pass and we will move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

But people are owed something here. We have basically voluntarily destroyed our own economy in a bid to halt the virus.

When this is done, people will be unemployed maybe homeless, we'll see huge cuts in healthcare, schools, roads - all will have to be paid for through tax hikes. We will be entering into a once in a century depression in all likelihood. People have already sacrificed a lot.

So an easing of restrictions, maybe an increase in the radius for exercise or an increase in the groups you can have would be a fair reward for the work done so far in dropping the infection rate. And if we see an increase in cases, we can roll them back and maybe the clock will reset on people's frustrations for the inevitable second wave.

You're acting like you made those sacrifices for someone else? Like you're doing someone a favour.

We all made these sacrifices together, as a nation, for everyone in this nation...

There is a lot of weak-willed people in this country. Previous generations have suffered through far worse than what you are being asked to endure... some of you people really need to toughen yourselves up a bit and cop the fcuk on!

All the whining and complaining is a bit pathetic tbh! It's juvenile BS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Think there's a good few people getting a bit fed up. I'd sympathise with anyone living in an urban estate/ apartment with little opportunity to get away from the concrete and who are restricting their movements. But I'd have little time for people like the OP and others who have daily jobs to go to, are getting paid and just want to head out at the holiday weekend. These people need to cop on, lots of others are making serious sacrifices.

As for the debate, hard to know where this is going given lack of transparency. If the virus is now largely confined to institutions and the like, well maybe it can be contained there and let the rest of society get on with it. But if it's still prevalent in the general community, that's a different matter. I hear people arguing to change the 2km guideline to 5km and this is ridiculous. The distance is just an arbitrary figure made up to get the idea across that people should not make unnecessary journeys. We either have a guideline like 2km or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

You're acting like you made those sacrifices for someone else? Like you're doing someone a favour.

Lets not beat around the bush here. This was done to protect the older generation and vulnerable in society. I have no complaint about it. I'm happily adhering to the rules. No problem for me personally. I'm just tired of people saying it is nothing and belittling others concerns.

There is a lot of weak-willed people in this country. Previous generations have suffered through far worse than what you are being asked to endure... some of you people really need to toughen yourselves up a bit and cop the fcuk on!

...which brings me to this attitude. The effects of this sacrifice have not even kicked in yet. The long term costs are going to be up there with the worst of what other generations suffered. (please don't bring up World War I or II in response)
    All the whining and complaining is a bit pathetic tbh! It's juvenile BS!

Well, in the long term, more people are going to start whining and complaining, so you better get used to it. Who knows, in another 5 or 6 weeks it might be you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm not trying to shame anyone, I honestly hope he doesn't get in a an accident, but if he does I hope he is killed on impact.

Just easier and cleaner that way and less risk for people who have to clean it up.

A lot of scum on this site absolute filth my God.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

By this logic you will be asking your parents to cocoon whilst also maintaining a quarantine for yourself and your family for the duration of flu season every year going forward.

The fact of the matter is that in life and society we accept a number of preventable deaths each and every day, that truth may not be palatable to some to consider. In a way it is horrifying, but that's the way we operate as a society.

This is my long term fear off the back of this crisis. There will be more pandemics. Do we run scared from it every time and experience one economic meltdown after another? Where is the line drawn? These temporary lockdown measures might be justifiable once in a lifetime. They cannot be justified on a repeated basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Gael23 wrote: »
    Life is too short for these restrictions

The irony! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

degsie wrote: »
    One thing that this lockdown has highlited for me is that it brings out the real character of a person. When it come down to it, people are asked to sit on their arse for a few weeks in order that some others are not departing this planet sooner than they deserve. This is deemed cruel and unusual punishment by some who I believe have no empathy with those who have lost someone they loved due to Covid-19. I have witnessed now former 'friends' who flout the restrictions without a care in the world. It is a real character tester if nothing else.

Star Post and so very very true.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the video of that vile nutjob Gemma with the Garda. She could have said "I’m Gemma O’Doherty, this is John Waters, we are plaintiffs in a High Court case and we are on our way to the High Court right now.” Instead she spent 4 minutes being obnoxious and bullying and threatening a woman who simply was doing her job. Most interestingly, the outcome would have been the exact same, as despite her obnoxious ranting she ended up giving her name, the name of her fellow traveler and the purpose of her journey in order to be allowed to drive on.

On the other hand, and far more widespread, I’ve seen so many instances of people being friendly, kind and accepting of all kinds of difficulties over the last few weeks, in ways that make you feel good just to witness them. Fortunately these greatly outnumber the bellicose ranters like Gemma and the disgruntled types who sit on their ass and whine away their time on Boards.

(And on the subject of Gemma/John, great to see that almost 70,000 people have taken the time and trouble to state publicly here that they DO NOT speak for us as People of Ireland)

Please God you don't have an accident, but if you do hopefully you will be killed on impact.

I have a lot of friends in the emergency services and I wouldn't like them or their families put at risk because of some selfish cúnt.

Please God you don't have an accident, but if you do hopefully you will be killed on impact.

I have a lot of friends in the emergency services and I wouldn't like them or their families put at risk because of some selfish cúnt.

Going for my drive tomorrow Jesus Christ what kind of demented psychopaths are among the posters here scary ****.:(

By the way I will be going for my drive these posts made up my mind.:mad:

markfinn also thanked the two of those posts I reported him I hope boards takes action.

However there are some decent people on this site.
    begbysback wrote: »
    The shaming, and using emergency services for the purposes of virtue signaling at this stage is becoming tedious, get the fcuk down off that high horse and give it a break.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

Gael23 wrote: »
    No your not OP, I want t go back to the office. and to my normal routine. Also I haven't seen my grandparents for 6 weeks now, usually see them weekly.
    My atttiude is we must live with this virus among us and take precautions. Life is too short for these restrictions

Of course it is too short. No point stopping living in fear of death ;)

A whole new level of nastiness.

I hope boards take action against those who thanked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

By the way I will be going for my drive these posts made up my mind.:mad:

Take pics or it didn't happen. Can you try to get your car reg in one of them for the lols.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    There's some amount of doom and gloom merchants on this forum and lockdown fanatics,jaysus imagine having to live in the same house as these absolute nutters:eek:

You said it.

Take pics or it didn't happen. Can you try to get your car reg in one of them for the lols.

Even if he does go for a drive to some scenic spot he'll more than likely be stopped at a checkpoint and it will be all 'Sorry Garda' and he'll be turned around and sent homeward bound with his tail between his legs.

Wackos and nuts here wishing me dead and those posts being thanked I will go on my little day trip and post a couple of pictures here just to annoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

uli84 wrote: »
    Of course it is too short. No point stopping living in fear of death ;)

What about the 80% that will make a full recovery?

Somebody who is out 6 days a week working with way over 100 people can not go for a solitary drive on their own?

Jesus this country has sunk to new depths of stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

A lot of scum on this site absolute filth my God.:mad:

Some of the stuff they post is disgraceful, it's disgusting that they are so abusive to an essential worker like yourself. Enjoy the drive and have a great weekend, no doubt it's well earned. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Lets not beat around the bush here. This was done to protect the older generation and vulnerable in society. I have no complaint about it. I'm happily adhering to the rules. No problem for me personally. I'm just tired of people saying it is nothing and belittling others concerns.

You sound very much like you do have a problem with it... you want to be rewarded for your efforts so far. Like you think people should be thanking you for your hard work, and now letting you have a bit of freedom...

Nonsense!

There is no "us" and "them"... we did this together as a nation, for everyone in this nation! You made these sacrifices as much for yourself, as you did for any old or vulnerable person. We're all in this together!

...which brings me to this attitude. The effects of this sacrifice have not even kicked in yet. The long term costs are going to be up there with the worst of what other generations suffered. (please don't bring up World War I or II in response)

We'll see what the long term consequences are. There will be challenges for sure, but we've always faced challenges before... so no reason to become despondent at the prospect of more challenges. It's all part of the struggle of life - embrace the struggle and find the silver linings wherever you can! (that's what previous generations always did)

I'll bring up any human struggles I see fit... you don't want the world wars brought up, because you know those people had FAR bigger problems to face. You know it shines an uncomfortable light on your whining and bitching about the current predicament! ;)
    Well, in the long term, more people are going to start whining and complaining, so you better get used to it. Who knows, in another 5 or 6 weeks it might be you.

I've faced harder struggles than this in my life... this situation is frustrating (and deeply sad because of those who have perished)... but I can endure this situation for as long as it takes! I'm not even close to breaking or throwing in the towel...

I find some of you guys really pathetic, because you're so damn weak you can't even stick this thing out to its conclusion - for the greater good. Why can't you just suck it up and get on with it like everyone else in the country? Just grit your teeth and endure it? It will end someday in the future... and then you can get on with your life!

Just stop being a selfish pussie, basically! (This isn't just for you btw - it's everyone reading this who thinks the same way as you!)

GazzaL wrote: »
    Some of the stuff they post is disgraceful, it's disgusting that they are so abusive to an essential worker like yourself. Enjoy the drive and have a great weekend, no doubt it's well earned. :)

Thanks very much and I wish well to all the decent people trying their best is this trying time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Somebody who is out 6 days a week working with way over 100 people can not go for a solitary drive on their own?

Jesus this country has sunk to new depths of stupid.

Jesus, would you ever go on your trip to fcuk and quickly, you are becoming unbearably whiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭XLR 8

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Sick of people saying "suck it up" or just "deal with it" everyone circumstances are different, what about people with severe mental health problems with suicidal thoughts, should these people just "suck it up" what about elderly people who haven't been outside in 5 weeks and might have no family or people to talk to, should these people just "suck it up" what about people living in apartment or tower blocks who have no garden ,or large families where kids are bored and rows and arguments, sick of these poxy doom merchants, lockdown fanatics who get some perverse pleasure from being in lockdown,and it would appear there are many of them on here!!

The facts are, cases have dropped significantly, most things to do with the virus have, yet the public are still being punished, despite high compliance, the economy is in tatters, if this continues this will have far far greater implications that the virus, you'll have people completely broken mentally , the economy will be completely fcuked and will take years and years to recover, some, not all restrictions need to be be eased ASAP.

Common sense would be to lift the ridiculous 2km restriction, allow the elderly to get out and exercise, allow some shops to open with strict social distancing measures in place, review it again in a few weeks.

I never said suck it up. Common sense will prevail and I agree with you that some are suffering more than others. But no government can tailor any lock down to suit individual needs. They will never ease the restrictions if people continually ignore them as you seem to advocate. I do believe they will ease some of the more draconian measures soon. But till then do as your told or do what you want. Choice is entirely yours. Your not being punished you are in fact being protected. Thankfully we are also being protected from you.

The whole world is undergoing a health emergency. How hard is that for you to comprehend?? Include yourself in that 'depths of stupid'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Even if he does go for a drive to some scenic spot he'll more than likely be stopped at a checkpoint and it will be all 'Sorry Garda' and he'll be turned around and sent homeward bound with his tail between his legs.

But when he tells us the story it will be about how he gave the Garda loads of cheek and put him/ her in their place and was allowed on his way etc. :pac:

OP if you want to be a selfish pr*ck and break the restrictions just do it - why the song and dance on Boards beforehand? Do you want us all to stand outside and clap as you drive past? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Gynoid wrote: »
    Jesus, would you ever go on your trip to fcuk and quickly, you are becoming unbearably whiny.

Hopefully he comes around our way... we are taking pot shots at non locals :D

Gynoid wrote: »

This is not just about me this is hitting the whole country I am one of the lucky ones I still have a job.

The projections that the lockdown are based on now luck to be totally off the wall.

Most cases are in care homes and sick people where discharged from hospitals into those care homes.

I am not being whiny I though we are supposed to live in a supposed free country I am allowed give my opinion on current affairs and I think this lockdown is total madness.

The people is was meant to protect got sick people dumped in on top of them.

I am now done with the lockdown the nastiness of some of the posts here has left me in now doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Antares35 wrote: »
    Hopefully he comes around our way... we are taking pot shots at non locals :D

Haha sound like you live in a similar place to me. And yep, I think if the OP could give us his estimated time of departure the nation could arise together, stand tall, hands on hearts and silently (but together) mark the beginning of the great rebellion. Maybe Paddygreen could give one of his famed woohoos for the occasion. Even if somewhat muffled behind the sanitary towel stuck to his mouth. These are days that will be remembered.

Advertisement