Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

empacher wrote: »
    148 died on Irish roads in 2019. Not much of a comparison.

The poster stated that they would not accept any deaths per day due to Coronavirus. It's a valid comparison. Coronavirus isn't exclusively in Ireland. There were 1.35m traffic related deaths worldwide in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Gidea wrote: »
    And every year car manufacturers and governments work together to increase safety standards and reduce deaths. Restriction on speed limits, alcohol consumption, not wearing seatbelt, unsafe features etc. has significantly reduced deaths in this country. IE restrictions work, as is the same for COVID-19 currently

When people flaunt these restrictions on roads, it causes death

So surely better to lockdown cars until we can achieve a system that brings the number of deaths to 0. That is literally what you are saying about CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Arghus wrote: »
    All this disingenuous mental health white-knighting. I don't believe 90% of the posters who bang on about that everyday are really that deeply concerned about the mental health of others - they just want to justify their own selfishness.

Overrun hospitals and thousands of people dying could be pretty depressing too.

The lock down strains everyone's mental health. But it's for the greater good: I can put up with it. I'm fortunate to be fit and well.

So far Covid 19 has killed 1200 people. I don't know what the figures are for death by Netflix.

I've lost a good friend this very week and not to the virus. I'd only spoken to him last week. He was not in a good place but I never imagined he was as low as he was. It's eating me up what I could have said to him or even what I could have done over the years but I know rationally I'm being silly and at least he was talking about his woes.

I won't be able to attend his funeral or explain to his mother about our recent chats. Somehow a phonecall doesn't seem appropriate at this time.

I still don't know if I'd like the restrictions lifted/eased too soon. There's people flouting them already which is dragging the whole thing out even more. Always the few that drag the many down with them, which would be amplified (but by how much?) if they were eased a little more. I know our health service could cope with a little more capacity but we know it doesn't take much for the R0 to head the wrong direction again. Can the general public be trusted that much? I've seen so much selfishness out there that I'd worry about the potential outcome. Not to be too negative on us Irish, because we weren't given a completely fair turn at seeing how we could manage it in a less restrictive but highly informed environment due to the open nature of our borders and the slow the initial response of the Government was.

There's bullsh*t exaggerations on both sides of the argument too that is driving me nuts. But the mental health (although already significant) is being blown up to even more than it is by some. I'm going to say it; a lot of people talking about their "mental health" issues are just looking for attention and are too self absorbed to understand that they must take on a little burden for a while for the health of society. Or worse, they do understand but meh, they're just simply more important. Empty vessels make the most noise. It's the ones that are not talking I'm most worried about. So if you haven't heard from someone that you're worried about in a while, check in on them (even if it didn't work out in my case). The ones posting on Facebook about their mental health will fair better because at least they're venting.

I'm resolved to not flouting the restrictions and missing the funeral. I'm going to write his Mum a letter on the suggestion of another friend which I think is a nice idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

This is not just about me this is hitting the whole country I am one of the lucky ones I still have a job.

The projections that the lockdown are based on now luck to be totally off the wall.

Most cases are in care homes and sick people where discharged from hospitals into those care homes.

I am not being whiny I though we are supposed to live in a supposed free country I am allowed give my opinion on current affairs and I think this lockdown is total madness.

The people is was meant to protect got sick people dumped in on top of them.

I am now done with the lockdown the nastiness of some of the posts here has left me in now doubt.

You are being whiny... also selfish too... oh and a big giant pussie as well!

I don't see why so many people are losing their mind with this lockdown?

It's like some of you guys are just spoilt kids, who have never faced any real hardship in your lives... this is the first time some of you have had to face anything remotely challenging mentally, and you are throwing in the towel... like a bunch of cowards!

What a pathetic generation of spoilt brats we have spawned in this country!

(Not everyone of course... majority of people will stick this out and do what needs to be done! But holy fcuk, many in this generation are seriously embarrassing themselves!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

This is not just about me this is hitting the whole country I am one of the lucky ones I still have a job.

The projections that the lockdown are based on now luck to be totally off the wall.

Most cases are in care homes and sick people where discharged from hospitals into those care homes.

I am not being whiny I though we are supposed to live in a supposed free country I am allowed give my opinion on current affairs and I think this lockdown is total madness.

The people is was meant to protect got sick people dumped in on top of them.

I am now done with the lockdown the nastiness of some of the posts here has left me in now doubt.

Ah, this line. Trotted out time and time again by people who cannot or will not understand that a free society is not a f*cking free for all. It doesn't mean we can just to whatever we want and to hell with the consequences. Most "free societies" will still have rules and regulations in place for the greater good, a concept usually forgotten by those who give out about the "gubberment" and how we live in a "free world". With rights come responsibilities. You don't get to pick and choose what rules you follow, and use the "free society" card to get you off the hook. If everyone did that, you would soon find that the concept of a free society and it's civil liberties would no longer exist for most people.

Like anyone, I enjoy my civil liberties - I also know they are meaningless if I am six feet under. "free society" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

You sound very much like you do have a problem with it... you want to be rewarded for your efforts so far. Like you think people should be thanking you for your hard work, and now letting you have a bit of freedom...

I don't think I sound like I have a problem with it. I do have a problem with people like yourself who think this is just par for the course. I'm lucky enough to have plenty to do around my house and garden, to be honest, it's not changed my day to day life that much at all. But for others it might be different. I empathize with them.

There is no "us" and "them"... we did this together as a nation, for everyone in this nation! You made these sacrifices as much for yourself, as you did for any old or vulnerable person. We're all in this together!

No, I would not have chosen this at all, I don't have any fear of the virus. I don't want to help to spread it to anyone that might be susceptible, that's all. So to say I did it for myself is a complete nonsense.

I'll bring up any human struggles I see fit... you don't want the world wars brought up, because you know those people had FAR bigger problems to face. You know it shines an uncomfortable light on your whining and bitching about the current predicament! ;)

Yes, I know, that was exactly why I said it.
    My bitching and whining? This is starting to feel like a troll.
    I've faced harder struggles than this in my life... this situation is frustrating (and deeply sad because of those who have perished)... but I can endure this situation for as long as it takes! I'm not even close to breaking or throwing in the towel...

Good for you. There will be a point for others though, don't worry about that.
    I find some of you guys really pathetic, because you're so damn weak you can't even stick this thing out to its conclusion - for the greater good. Why can't you just suck it up and get on with it like everyone else in the country? Just grit your teeth and endure it? It will end someday in the future... and then you can get on with your life!

...If only everyone was as tough and strong-willed as you. Maybe they will be getting on with what's left of their life, if, like you suggest, this ends, someday in the future.
    Just stop being a selfish pussie, basically! (This isn't just for you btw - it's everyone reading this who thinks the same way as you!)

How is it being selfish to empathize with people having a tough time of it and fear for the future. The stay-at-homers are starting to sound more zealot like with each passing day. I knew the insult would drop eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

It's like some of you guys are just spoilt kids, who have never faced any real hardship in your lives... this is the first time some of you have had to face anything remotely challenging mentally, and you are throwing in the towel... like a bunch of cowards!

(Not everyone of course... majority of people will stick this out and do what needs to be done! But holy fcuk, many in this generation are seriously embarrassing themselves!)

ah I replied, only to see you are trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

XLR 8 wrote: »
    I never said suck it up. Common sense will prevail and I agree with you that some are suffering more than others. But no government can tailor any lock down to suit individual needs. They will never ease the restrictions if people continually ignore them as you seem to advocate. I do believe they will ease some of the more draconian measures soon. But till then do as your told or do what you want. Choice is entirely yours. Your not being punished you are in fact being protected. Thankfully we are also being protected from you.

what dont you understand here, how can you expect people with severe mental health issues to remain in lockdown, how can you expect the elderly to be cocooned, im not asking for concerts or sports events to take place, relax the 2km , that isnt going to make the slightest bit of difference if people want to travel further none at all as all public transport has posters on seats with social distancing measures , allow elderly to go out for exercise, some shops to reopen, that's the very least that should be done at this present time, if not then people just wont comply mark my words.

im not from "this generation" ive been around decades mate im likely a lot older than you are so stop with your nonsense, just because a lockdown is ok for you doesnt mean its not ok for thousands upon thousands of people, think before you come out with this rubbish,you are the coward here,id say more but the moderators would probably issue a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

People from the North free to move all over Ireland.
    Scab slave labour being flown in on flights.

Travellers totally free to do what they want when they want where they want.

I am working long hours which are deemed essential.

I am going to get out for a decent drive this weekend and head for a beauty spot and get out for a walk and enjoy the sun.

Before you shut me down mods can you answer what harm I will be doing?

This is a discussion forum we are not living in China or North Korea.

So because some like the travellers aren’t abiding by the restrictions you’re going to copy them? Pathetic.

• Advertisement

jonnny68 wrote: »
    im not from "this generation" ive been around decades mate im likely a lot older than you are so stop with your nonsense, just because a lockdown is ok for you doesnt mean its not ok for thousands upon thousands of people, think before you come out with this rubbish,you are the coward here,id say more but the moderators would probably issue a ban

He’s right. Man up FFS. You’re pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Antares35 wrote: »
    Ah, this line. Trotted out time and time again by people who cannot or will not understand that a free society is not a f*cking free for all. It doesn't mean we can just to whatever we want and to hell with the consequences. Most "free societies" will still have rules and regulations in place for the greater good, a concept usually forgotten by those who give out about the "gubberment" and how we live in a "free world". With rights come responsibilities. You don't get to pick and choose what rules you follow, and use the "free society" card to get you off the hook. If everyone did that, you would soon find that the concept of a free society and it's civil liberties would no longer exist for most people.

Like anyone, I enjoy my civil liberties - I also know they are meaningless if I am six feet under. "free society" :rolleyes:

I've got time for this argument. Obviously governments have to put measures in to protect us.

However, this doesn't mean that the government should be above scrutiny and it doesn't mean that the government shouldn't be transparent surely?

People have the right to demand that given that they are lending their time to the government to get alternative measures in place. That support isn't unconditional. If governments aren't transparent then they will lose public support, and the measures will no longer be enforceable as more and more people flout the measures.

Eventually the government will have to give a clear idea as to where this is going or people will lose discipline.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    So because some like the travellers aren’t abiding by the restrictions you’re going to copy them? Pathetic.

the op is absolutely right too, if a planeload of peasants can come in on a packed place to pick a non essential fruit then he is within his rights after working hard to go for a drive, he isn't harming anyone or hurting anyone, you'd swear he was to about to commit a murder the way some lunatics are going on here, unbelievable.

what dont you understand here, how can you expect people with severe mental health issues to remain in lockdown, how can you expect the elderly to be cocooned, im not asking for concerts or sports events to take place, relax the 2km , that isnt going to make the slightest bit of difference if people want to travel further none at all as all public transport has posters on seats with social distancing measures , allow elderly to go out for exercise, some shops to reopen, that's the very least that should be done at this present time, if not then people just wont comply mark my words.

Some people don’t comply anyway. “Mark my words” he says, is that a threat? Are you going to throw your toys out of the pram

He’s right. Man up FFS. You’re pathetic

man up what sort of pathetic comment is that , you and the rest of the lockdown nutters are the ones who are truly pathetic beyond belief, Jesus i feel sorry for your families what you must be like to live with,anyone in their right mind wants the basis restrictions lifted except lockdown fanatics like you lot.

man up what sort of pathetic comment is that , you and the rest of the lockdown nutters are the ones who are truly pathetic beyond belief, Jesus i feel sorry for your families what you must be like to live with,anyone in their right mind wants the basis restrictions lifted except lockdown fanatics like you lot.

Lockdown fanatics he says. LOL. Desperate nonsense

Some people don’t comply anyway. “Mark my words” he says, is that a threat? Are you going to throw your toys out of the pram

im not even going to furnish this nonsense with a response.

jesus wept:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

the op is absolutely right too, if a planeload of peasants can come in on a packed place to pick a non essential fruit then he is within his rights after working hared to go for a drive, he isn't harming anyone or hurting anyone, you'd swear he was to about a murder the way some lunatics are going on here, unbelievable.

"non essential fruit" - fruit is essential, you don't get to choose which fruits are non essential. The level of discrimination against some poor strawberries on these boards is just outragous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Travellers totally free to do what they want when they want where they want.

In fairness this was the case pre covid 19.

Lockdown fanatics he says. LOL. Desperate nonsense

thats exactly what you are, no one in their right mind wants this to continue absolutely no one ive spoken to none whatsoever, the only people were on this thread.

• Advertisement

"non essential fruit" - fruit is essential, you don't get to choose which fruits are non essential. The level of discrimination against some poor strawberries on these boards is just outragous.

sarcasm isnt your strong point mate,dont give up your day job ....if you have one!!

im not even going to furnish this nonsense with a response.

jesus wept:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You’re talking gibberish pal. “Mark my words”, Mark my words what? There are already idiots who are failing to abide by the restrictions that are necessary, so what does “Mark my words” mean exactly. Means nothing, you’re bumping your gums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

thats exactly what you are, no one in their right mind wants this to continue absolutely no one ive spoken to none whatsoever, the only people were on this thread.

Plenty of people in this thread totally insane by the looks of things.

I will drop another little truth bomb on people.
    First week or two of work we had social distancing at this stage it has totally gone out the window and still NONE of us are sick.

Large numbers of people working together for 8 to 10 hours social distancing is not practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

jonnny68 wrote:

What does it matter if some people are "lockdown fanatics", it's not going to change anything. The lockdown will end eventually and people enjoying the lockdown will not change the timeline.

Plenty of people in this thread totally insane by the looks of things.

I will drop another little truth bomb on people.
    First week or two of work we has social distancing at this stage it has totally gone out the window and still NONE of us are sick.

Large numbers of people working together for 8 to 10 hours social distancing is not practical.

stop right there mate your making too much sense people on here dont seem to grasp what that actually is that :pac:

im away anyway you enjoy your drive at the weekend and all the best to yourself :):)

i myself will be going for a long walk whether that's 5 or 10km ill decide, and ill have a few beers then afterwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This place is chock full of rebellious Shinners and hard Lefties who will do anything to beat the Government of the day with anything, including their own me fein attitude. Most of us are just law abiding and hope for the best without all that political bashing. Now is not the time for this, maybe soon, but not right now.

I'd say the average age (with some exceptions) of those proposing a resumption of duty on Tuesday without fail is under 30. I could be wrong.

The vibe of immaturity coming off some posts here is really bizarre, and would be amusing if the situation wasn't so dire.

I understand the economy issue, I understand the boredom and loneliness, I understand all that, am one of them who has had to avoid people because of THEIR being cocooned or shielded or whatever the word du jour is now. Anyway, it's a test of one's mettle. Those who survive are the ones who will bring the country back, those who constantly moan, bicker, and so on will always be that way. There is no pleasing them. Nothing would please them ever, and their impatience is astounding.

The vast majority of people have complied with the rules for the greater good, but you will always get those who think they are above the rules, me me me.

I doubt there will be much great news tonight for the mavericks, the bored, those who cannot cope with a bit of discomfort. But I think things will re open slowly, slowly and incrementally, just like this feckin site at the moment. WTF are they doing or not doing, it is ridiculous how this place has slowed down and might soon stop.

stop right there mate your making too much sense people on here dont seem to grasp what that actually is that :pac:

im away anyway you enjoy your drive at the weekend and all the best to yourself :):)

Talk about stupidity seen a couple in their late 50s early 60s in the supermarket last week the husband was wearing a mask and the stupid wife had blue surgical gloves on.

She was picking up loads of stuff including joints of meat and putting them back down again.
    For every one thing she put in the trolley she felt up about 8 or nine things.

Dirty bitch spreading germs all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Talk about stupidity seen a couple in their late 50s early 60s in the supermarket last week the husband was wearing a mask and the stupid wife had blue surgical gloves on.

She was picking up loads of stuff including joints of meat and putting them back down again.
    For every one thing she put in the trolley she felt up about 8 or nine things.

Dirty bitch spreading germs all over the place.

For someone who doesn't like to be judged by their actions, you are not slow at judging other people by theirs. This is a pretty toxic thread by any measure.

degsie wrote: »
    For someone who doesn't like to be judged by their actions, you are not slow at judging other people by theirs. This is a pretty toxic thread by any measure.

There are plenty of other germs around apart from the big scary covid 19.

Going for a drive on my own is harming NOBODY.

The only toxic people in this thread are the pro lockdown cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Concretejungle

Again, I don't buy that. Based on the progress that has been made so far in reducing the R0 value and given the rate of deaths and the rate of new cases it should be possible to estimate this on the basis of the data.

Edit:

Well if the RO value is acceptable now that we have quarantined for a few weeks what happens the RO value if we all get back to normal next week. They can probably estimate what will happen if we stay in lockdown but not if we lift restrictions.

Advertisement