Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Again, I don't buy that. Based on the progress that has been made so far in reducing the R0 value and given the rate of deaths and the rate of new cases it should be possible to estimate this on the basis of the data.

Edit:

Well if the RO value is acceptable now that we have quarantined for a few weeks what happens the RO value if we all get back to normal next week. They can probably estimate what will happen if we stay in lockdown but not if we lift restrictions.

Nobody is saying that we should lift all restrictions at one time, but some restrictions should be eased if it is safe to do so. A plan should be put in place as to when these should be eased and at what level of the R0 it would be safe to begin easing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭This is it

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You think a virus cares about fair? Where does fairness come into this at all?

I wish people would stop whining as if they are owed something here.

There is a virus. We need to stop it spreading. It's working. We just have to keep it up a little while longer.

"Oh no, I can't see my boyfriend"

"Oh no, I can't get my haircut"

"Oh no, I can't drive to an arbitrary spot for no other reason than to be awkward"

Stop crying like little children about it and suck it up!

This. Absolutely.

Everyone is suffering. I want to go see my 5 year old, I can't. Will I whinge and moan about it, no, I'll get on with it because I know it's best for him, his mother, my family, and theirs.

I understand the difficulty faced by most but the alternative here could be contracting the virus yourself, or worse again, spreading it to someone else.

One thing this lockdown has made apparent is how soft some people truly are.
    "Can't go to the pub"... "McDonald's closed"... "can't see my boyfriend" etc etc...

Hopefully these people never encounter real adversity.

There are plenty of other germs around apart from the big scary covid 19.

Going for a drive on my own is harming NOBODY.

Good man. Explain that to police at a checkpoint. I'm sure they'll make an exception for ya :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Concretejungle

Nobody is saying that we should lift all restrictions at one time, but some restrictions should be eased if it is safe to do so. A plan should be put in place as to when these should be eased and at what level of the R0 it would be safe to begin easing.

I think that is happening and about to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There are plenty of other germs around apart from the big scary covid 19.

Going for a drive on my own is harming NOBODY.

The only toxic people in this thread are the pro lockdown cult.

Germ? Now you're just spoofing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So you can exercise up to 5km from your home, another supposed restriction

removed was the restriction for the over 70's. The over 70's were never confined to their homes instead they were advised to remain indoors. Lifting a restriction that never existed now that's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Ireland is an embarrassment. Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Austria, Denmark, etc. have all announced progressive plans with details and dates. Ireland's "plan" is to do nothing for another 2 weeks making it 7 in total, and then seeing what to do every 3 weeks after that. Nobody allowed to ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Good man. Explain that to police at a checkpoint. I'm sure they'll make an exception for ya :P
    Well they made an exception for Gemma O'Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

GazzaL wrote: »
    Ireland is an embarrassment. Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Austria, Denmark, etc. have all announced progressive plans with details and dates. Ireland's "plan" is to do nothing for another 2 weeks making it 7 in total, and then seeing what to do every 3 weeks after that. No details, no dates, and nobody allowed to ask questions.

What's embarrassing is that posters like you bitch and moan but offer no alternative on how to get out of this situation. I'm glad to see restrictions slowly and carefully lifted as I want to be in a position where a lot less people on this island will die unnecessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

degsie wrote: »
    What's embarrassing is that posters like you bitch and moan but offer no alternative on how to get out of this situation. I'm glad to see restrictions slowly and carefully lifted as I want to be in a position where a lot less people on this island will die unnecessarily.

Alot of people are going to die unnecessary in the coming years due to severe cutbacks.

I've offered an alternative, repeatedly. We follow the lead of our fellow European countries and ease restrictions, allow businesses to re-open once they use social distancing and good hygiene practices. Most businesses are ready to do this immediately, because they were either doing it already before the lockdown or have been working on it for the last 5 weeks while they watch their liabilities grow with no money coming in. We are the slow man of Europe, absolutely pathetic.

Alot of people are going to die unnecessary in the coming years due to severe cutbacks.

There'll be a lot of people jumping into rivers again.

I've offered an alternative, repeatedly. We follow the lead of our fellow European countries and ease restrictions, allow businesses to re-open once they use social distancing and good hygiene practices. Most businesses are ready to do this immediately, because they were either doing it already before the lockdown or have been working on it for the last 5 weeks while they watch their liabilities grow with no money coming in. We are the slow man of Europe, absolutely pathetic.

When this is all over, feel free to take up residence elsewhere

When this is all over, feel free to take up residence elsewhere

Evidently there is no defending how pathetic Ireland is compared to the rest of Europe. Absolutely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I've got time for this argument. Obviously governments have to put measures in to protect us.

However, this doesn't mean that the government should be above scrutiny and it doesn't mean that the government shouldn't be transparent surely?

People have the right to demand that given that they are lending their time to the government to get alternative measures in place. That support isn't unconditional. If governments aren't transparent then they will lose public support, and the measures will no longer be enforceable as more and more people flout the measures.

Eventually the government will have to give a clear idea as to where this is going or people will lose discipline.

I never said that so while you might have time for the argument, you are arguing with yourself - I'm responding to a whinge along the lines of, "I'm tired of the restrictions now, everybody take heed I shall break them".

Plenty of people in this thread totally insane by the looks of things.

I will drop another little truth bomb on people.
    First week or two of work we had social distancing at this stage it has totally gone out the window and still NONE of us are sick.

Large numbers of people working together for 8 to 10 hours social distancing is not practical.

Have you still not gone for your drive? :pac:

Ireland is an embarrassment. Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Austria, Denmark, etc. have all announced progressive plans with details and dates. Ireland's "plan" is to do nothing for another 2 weeks making it 7 in total, and then seeing what to do every 3 weeks after that. Nobody allowed to ask questions.

I don't think Spain committed to dates, as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong though. My parents have been stuck there in what is essentially the European epicentre, and they likely won't get home before my baby arrives - I would love to know if there are concrete dates so they can plan their return :)

Evidently there is no defending how pathetic Ireland is compared to the rest of Europe. Absolutely useless.

I assume you speak with some authority here, do you work in international affairs?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

First week or two of work we had social distancing at this stage it has totally gone out the window and still NONE of us are sick.

Large numbers of people working together for 8 to 10 hours social distancing is not practical.

Let me drop a little truth bomb on you. I was sick, fairly sure I had it but couldn't get tested. Two people in my extended family diagnosed. One sick now and tested, waiting on results, but sure she has it. Neighbours sibling and partner are currently recovering having tested positive. Those personally known cases aside, there are new cases announced every day. You don't know who in your workplace may have been asymptomatic either. Social distancing in the work place is doable; my workplace and others I know of are discussing this very thing right now and making plans. Do you even live in the real world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I don't really see the point of going into a rigid timetable. A framework is far, far superior as it gives flexibility.

This is a new virus. We are only starting to get a sense of how it impacts people and how it spreads. There isn't any data, experience or anything really to base a model on.

To me, the Irish approach seems like a rock of sensibility. Setting up a list of dates, without any ability to actually achieve those dates is setting yourself up for potential failure and public blow back when they are not achieved.

What we have now is a series of proposed steps, that are giving quite a lot of detail and they will be taken when the situation meets a particular set of criteria.

I don't really think it could be much clearer and I think trying to lock lock an unknown pandemic into a rigid timetable is ludicrous stuff. It's not like you can sit down and have a chat with a novel coronavirus about its planned schedule. Nor do we have anything like sufficient data to model anything properly.

This is play-it-by-ear stuff and I think it's very reasonable to acknowledge that and be realistic about the fact that it will have to be a framework, not a rigid timetable.

It could move more quickly or more slowly and each stage could end up being quite different. There are unknowns and unknowables in this and there's no point in pretending otherwise. It's going to do what it's going to do and that won't respect any timetable.

My view of it is that what's been published is treating the general public with a degree of maturity and ability to be rational about scientific data, rather than just publishing some final target date.

I'd be fairly confident you'll see a few second waves elsewhere. I prefer the step-by-step approach to this. It allows adjustment along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

It is good that the Irish government have published a plan with concrete dates. This is the kind of leveling with people I was talking about.

I hope they do the same in the UK next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

People from the North free to move all over Ireland.
    Scab slave labour being flown in on flights.

Travellers totally free to do what they want when they want where they want.

I am working long hours which are deemed essential.

I am going to get out for a decent drive this weekend and head for a beauty spot and get out for a walk and enjoy the sun.

Before you shut me down mods can you answer what harm I will be doing?

This is a discussion forum we are not living in China or North Korea.
    Hi Cinema guy,
    You are free to do what ever you like, but if your stopped by the gaurdi and they ask questions like. What's your name,? Where are you from? What's the purpose of your trip?
    They are free to fine you or put you in jail if the answers aren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Nice day for it.
    I wonder how far the OP has got at thus stage.

For many reasons, I hope that your not a employee of one of the meat processors that have been identified as a covid cluster.

Need a haircut? Fly to Denmark or Norway where you can already avail of this service, or fly to Portugal or Spain on Monday. In Ireland you'll be waiting another 11 weeks, unless of course you get it done behind closed doors like a lot of people are doing.

Want to go to a shop that isn't a supermarket, convenience store, or off licence? Fly to Austria where they are already open. In Ireland you'll be waiting 5 weeks.

Fancy going out for a meal? Fly to Portugal in 2 week's time and you'll have your choice of restaurant. In Ireland you'll be waiting 8 weeks.

Need to see your partner and/or child(ren) but they are further than 5km from where you live and neither of you are travellers or from the North? Fly to another country and visit them there.

Lots more examples like this. Ireland is the slow man of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

GazzaL wrote:
    Lots more examples like this. Ireland is the slow man of Europe.

Because saving lives is such a stupid idea!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Because saving lives is such a stupid idea!

Every other country in Europe is not stupid. Our "plan" is going to destroy lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

People are hilarious. Being asked to do one thing which is basically stay home and do nothing and a select few can't even do that.
    No point in arguing with these idiots either. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Advertisement