Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Benimar wrote: »
    The public are the ones paying €150 for haircuts, the public are the ones not social distancing (we have all seen the slacking off), the public are the ones out working on the 2 building sites (private ones) that I walked past this morning, the public are the ones having the house parties. The existence of the black economy you mention is the reason why the public have to take their share of the blame.

The majority of the public are doing whats asked of us, but those that aren't cannot be absolved from blame.

If you ban everything the public will find a way to do it, it's just human nature. The same as drugs, they are illegal but people still take them even though it would be safer to use if they were legal.

Banning everything is not the way to go, opening stuff in a safe environment is the way to do it. Look at our European neighbors they have opened hairdressers etc but it's done in a safe way with people using masks and stuff.

I think the OP lost the conversation with his "Am I the only one feeling like this?"

I mean, how self absorbed do you have to be to think this is only affecting you?
    Everyone I talk to, when I ask how are they give the same reply "Grand. Starting to get fed up though". I've not seen my father since February, and my mother since Christmas. Meanwhile the OP is lamenting the fact he can't visit the beach. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

niallo27 wrote:
    So what are we aiming for to open, have we been given any figures or do they just decide on the 18th. We were told we need to flatten the curve, we did that, we need to not overwhelm the hospital services, we did that, we need to get the icu numbers down, we did that. Whats the plan now.
    Well for anybody with a bit if cop on its to wait and see what happens in Spain in about 10 days time. If they get a brutal second wave then continue the lockdown and hopefully our idiot government finally see sense and put proper restrictions in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Benimar wrote: »
    The public are the ones paying €150 for haircuts, the public are the ones not social distancing (we have all seen the slacking off), the public are the ones out working on the 2 building sites (private ones) that I walked past this morning, the public are the ones having the house parties. The existence of the black economy you mention is the reason why the public have to take their share of the blame.

The majority of the public are doing whats asked of us, but those that aren't cannot be absolved from blame.

So the majority get punished for the minority even though overall it has having little or no affect on the overall numbers or keeping the curve flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Banning everything is not the way to go, opening stuff in a safe environment is the way to do it. Look at our European neighbors they have opened hairdressers etc but it's done in a safe way with people using masks and stuff.

Not saying that we don't open but there's no need to reopen everything just yet but just because European neighbours have reopened hairdressers, it's too early to know to what degree that will impact the transmission rate. Bouncing back up to a point we have to close down sections of the economy again will just make things worse.

Nothing wrong with being more conservative if it prevents a rapid increase in transmission rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well for anybody with a bit if cop on its to wait and see what happens in Spain in about 10 days time. If they get a brutal second wave then continue the lockdown and hopefully our idiot government finally see sense and put proper restrictions in place.

Why not look at germany or the czechs or denmark, why compare us to a country that was completely overwhelmed. I'd love to hear your idea of proper restrictions, weld people into their houses.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Why are you looking to Spain and not say, Germany or Denmark? We were never in the position that Spain was.

Not saying that we don't open but there's no need to reopen everything just yet but just because European neighbours have reopened hairdressers, it's too early to know to what degree that will impact the transmission rate. Bouncing back up to a point we have to close down sections of the economy again will just make things worse.

Nothing wrong with being more conservative if it prevents a rapid increase in transmission rate.

Germany opened thousands of shops a few weeks ago and they have said they haven't noticed a huge increase in cases with their r0 still at around .65

Our government need to get off their asses and make it mandatory for everyone to wear a masks when in public.. especially in an enclosed environment. We have Luke O’Neill Professor of Immunology at Trinity College crying for the government to introduce a mask policy.

It's so sad that in Ireland we are always so late to implement things, most Europeans countries have been making masks mandatory for weeks now.

South Korean experts have said the 2 current best ways to contain the virus are:
    Option 1. Lock everyone in their basement

OR

Option 2. Everyone wears masks

The Irish government seem happy to go with option 1 while not caring about peoples mental health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

niallo27 wrote: »
    So what are we aiming for to open, have we been given any figures or do they just decide on the 18th. We were told we need to flatten the curve, we did that, we need to not overwhelm the hospital services, we did that, we need to get the icu numbers down, we did that. Whats the plan now.

We now have to wait and see if the clowns can get their testing numbers up to 100,000 a week which is needed before any lockdown can be lifted. They hoped to get it up by last weekend and failed, which is why we got the two week extension to the lockdown. I have very little faith in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Germany opened thousands of shops a few weeks ago and they have said they haven't noticed a huge increase in cases with their r0 still at around .65

Yes, on the 20th of April they allowed shops smaller than 800m2 to reopen. Although anecdotally, a lot of them had stayed shut and not many shoppers had returned to the shops that had reopened.

They did say guidance on face masks would be issued at the start of Phase 1. In most countries it's mandatory on public transports and when shopping which is where they have said masks should be worn. No one is on public transport yet. There's time.

Not saying there shouldn't have been something by now. Just that it needs to be in place in time for the people who need them by May 18th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

To the OPs question, I think everyone is fed up at this stage.

At least we seem to have a plan to open up whether people like it or not is another question. I'd like to see us move to phase 2 and then if going well put phase 3 and 4 together and speed it up.

What I don't get is people using that the Government messed up on care homes (I agree) as a reason to be allowed do what they want.

Surely because they screwed up doesn't mean we as a population should join in and not do everything in our power to minimise the spread.
    Same with the people calling out that G O'D and her supporters flout the laws so I should too etc...

We don't say the same with, for example speeding, if one person drives 100km in a 30 zone I don't do the same as I feel envious of them, I don't get the mentality.
    Same for the lockdown laws, I don't go breaking them just because I don't like how they affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Every day I embellish my escape plan, ( bit like Methadone for H. addicts!) may never happen but it gives me a feeling of getting some controle back.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We now have to wait and see if the clowns can get their testing numbers up to 100,000 a week which is needed before any lockdown can be lifted. They hoped to get it up by last weekend and failed, which is why we got the two week extension to the lockdown. I have very little faith in them.

They only have 2% of the tracing staff trained. Lockdown till after the June bank holiday due to HSE incompetence.
    Mentioned in the article.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/dr-holohan-increasingly-concerned-about-number-of-young-people-with-covid-19-998125.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

The plan is go to Germany (my 2nd OR 1st Home? ) around 05 June (full Moon night! )
    How (Options )?
    • Cycle, did go to France by bike, but now a bit too old for that sh1t.
    • Drive, no car since years, so have to buy or borrow
    • Bus, train, ferry, not too appealing , but possible
    • Fly, most likely, but it's convenience does not honour the historic moment of escape ( if you want to take me along on your micro-light, could be tempted )

So, each day leads to new thoughts about the escape tunnel I'll be using, and God knows I may not go at all.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dohouch wrote: »
    The plan is go to Germany (my 2nd OR 1st Home? ) around 05 June (full Moon night! )
    How (Options )?
    • Cycle, did go to France by bike, but now a bit too old for that sh1t.
    • Drive, no car since years, so have to buy or borrow
    • Bus, train, ferry, not too appealing , but possible
    • Fly, most likely, but it's convenience does not honour the historic moment of escape ( if you want to take me along on your micro-light, could be tempted )

So, each day leads to new thoughts about the escape tunnel I'll be using, and God knows I may not go at all.

Submarine, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think the OP lost the conversation with his "Am I the only one feeling like this?"

I mean, how self absorbed do you have to be to think this is only affecting you?
    Everyone I talk to, when I ask how are they give the same reply "Grand. Starting to get fed up though". I've not seen my father since February, and my mother since Christmas. Meanwhile the OP is lamenting the fact he can't visit the beach. :rolleyes:

Yes. My partner hasn't seen her kids since the start of lockdown (bar skype video calls) as they live with the father.

We'd generally get them half weeks so it's a seismic shift for us as a unit.

I havent seen my family since christmas/jan. Same for herself. I missed an uncle's funeral (not covid related death) due to covid lockdown.

There's a lot of people missing out stuff on this. But its the only way to defeat this thing, or at least, to hang on till a vaccine is found.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes. My partner hasn't seen her kids since the start of lockdown (bar skype video calls) as they live with the father.

We'd generally get them half weeks so it's a seismic shift for us as a unit.

I havent seen my family since christmas/jan. Same for herself. I missed an uncle's funeral (not covid related death) due to covid lockdown.

There's a lot of people missing out stuff on this. But its the only way to defeat this thing, or at least, to hang on till a vaccine is found.

You've lost your marbles if you think we'll stay like this until a vaccine is found. If we get extremely lucky and a vaccine is found really fast we are still probably look at least 2 years from a vaccine

vaccine, or at least medicine to combat it and make it less fatal.
    If you think we're all going to fly again and travel etc in 2-6 months then you are mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

If you think we're all going to fly again and travel etc in 2-6 months then you are mad.

People are already flying and traveling.

Less fatal to whom? The virus kills a tiny %.
    Children are pretty much safe from it, young adults unless with an underlying condition again ok. Older age groups again unless underlying conditions ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Children are pretty much safe from it, young adults unless with an underlying condition again ok. Older age groups again unless underlying conditions ok.

I think I'll stick to the advice of a HSE Consultant as more in the know unless your credentials mean more?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062219&page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭clown2brown

The lockdown is a waste of time now, the damage done by staying in now outweighs the benefits. I don't care about getting the virus anymore and its not possible for me to carry it without knowing either.

Oh that's funny I didnt realise we had a doctor in our midst. Where did you qualify?

In the absence of any credentials, I will stick with the medical community advice thanks

GazzaL wrote: »
    People are already flying and traveling.
    Yes, inconsiderate arseholes.
    99.7% of flights are grounded compared in YoY.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

niallo27 wrote:
    Why not look at germany or the czechs or denmark, why compare us to a country that was completely overwhelmed. I'd love to hear your idea of proper restrictions, weld people into their houses.
    I've already posted what I believe is. required in this thread.
    Make it law that everybody wears a facemask in urban areas, shops etc. The reason for facemasks is to limit community spread of the virus. Czech Republic did it and their numbers fell rapidly, they also closed their borders. Maintain social distancing.
    State quaratine for anybody coming into the country, no exceptions. I believe the person should pay for the quarantine as it'll be another deterrent to keep people away.
    Quarantine continues even after we open up again until this virus is under control worldwide.

I think I'll stick to the advice of a HSE Consultant as more in the know unless your credentials mean more?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062219&page=4

Any thoughts on what Professor Nolan stated about lockdown versus SD?
    Btw is what I said wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

The lockdown is a waste of time now, the damage done by staying in now outweighs the benefits. I don't care about getting the virus anymore and its not possible for me to carry it without knowing either.

It's not about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Eh, what?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Make it law that everybody wears a facemask in urban areas, shops etc. The reason for facemasks is to limit community spread of the virus. Czech Republic did it and their numbers fell rapidly, they also closed their borders. Maintain social distancing.
    So you're actually in favour of removing restrictions once people are wearing face masks and using social distancing where possible?

Oh that's funny I didnt realise we had a doctor in our midst. Where did you qualify?

In the absence of any credentials, I will stick with the medical community advice thanks

Yes, inconsiderate arseholes.
    99.7% of flights are grounded compared in YoY.
    Ignoring the opening sneer, do you need to be a doctor to educate yourself?
    Even the HSE lists the most at risk groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I've already posted what I believe is. required in this thread.
    State quaratine for anybody coming into the country, no exceptions. I believe the person should pay for the quarantine as it'll be another deterrent to keep people away.
    Quarantine continues even after we open up again until this virus is under control worldwide.

We need an online petition to demand the compulsory wearing of facemasks now. I don't want people breathing on me or near me with their naked faces.

Advertisement