Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,533 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

When we had the last global pandemic in 1918 we rediscovered how valuable life, living and society is.... Which lead to the "roaring twenties" which saw an exponential rise in parties, concerts and general enjoyment of life.

I fully expect something similar after this one, and I expect the 2020s to be one of the best decades ever..... For art, creation, newness, freedom and friendliness.
    If we have to suffer some more, especially now with the finishing line truly in sight, then Bring it on I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

sydthebeat wrote: »
    When we had the last global pandemic in 1918 we rediscovered how valuable life, living and society is.... Which lead to the "roaring twenties" which saw an exponential rise in parties, concerts and general enjoyment of life.

I fully expect something similar after this one, and I expect the 2020s to be one of the best decades ever..... For art, creation, newness, freedom and friendliness.
    If we have to suffer some more, especially now with the finishing line truly in sight, then Bring it on I say.

"Finishing line"????? Where/when do you see that exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

5th of March argh...another 6 weeks of this and after that how much more longer...I don't want to get out of bed today it's grey, damp and miserable out there...so fed up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

they were coming out of WW1 , I dont see a necessary parallel

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ficheall wrote: »
    Eh? I was responding to the poster exactly in kind.
    Sure but why resort to referencing the dying? It looks cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sure but why resort to referencing the dying? It looks cynical.
    A-There are people dying of loneliness
    B-There are people dying of covid
    C-Why are you talking about people dying, B?
    :-/

I'm not really sure what your point is. And people ARE dying of covid - though I get that some wish to brush that under the rug.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A thing to point out regading the Ebola epidemic in West Africa in 2015 is that due to the action taken to stamp out that virus there was a rise in deaths from other causes.
    More deaths were from non-ebola than Ebola itself.
    This is a known medical phenomenon.

However it is similar to cutting off a limb to stop the spread of infection or gangrene.
    The threat of Covid-19 to modern society is worse than the individual experiences are. Hence the draconian measure needed.
    I've seen no doctor deny the health impact on other services or the toll on mental health.

A-There are people dying of loneliness
    B-There are people dying of covid
    C-Why are you talking about people dying, B?
    :-/

I'm not really sure what your point is. And people ARE dying of covid - though I get that some wish to brush that under the rug.

From your own post.
    yes, there are people dying alone in hospitals around the country, from covid.

My point is that there really is no need to use the dying to prove any point. You seem to disagree so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Fabio

DellyBelly wrote: »
    5th of March argh...another 6 weeks of this and after that how much more longer...I don't want to get out of bed today it's grey, damp and miserable out there...so fed up

I know...felt similar. It's tough at the moment. Just take it a day at a time, don't look too far ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Roaring twenties also properly seeded nationalist, fascist and communist movements accros Europe. It culminated in Wall Street collapse and great depression. It was incredibly productive time for arts but part of reason for that was that there were huge societal shifts and conflict. The best art tends to be produced when people are dissatisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

is_that_so wrote: »
    My point is that there really is no need to use the dying to prove any point. You seem to disagree so I'll leave it there.
    Presumably you also disagree with them being used by the poster I was responding to then?

meeeeh wrote: »
    Roaring twenties also properly seeded nationalist, fascist and communist movements accros Europe. It culminated in Wall Street collapse and great depression. It was incredibly productive time for arts but part of reason for that was that there were huge societal shifts and conflict. The best art tends to be produced when people are dissatisfied.

Demographics were different as well, a young population versus a middle aged one is going to behave differently. Germany today is turning into one big God's waiting room. A country like Iran might see a big shift for instance

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Presumably you also disagree with them being used by the poster I was responding to then?
    Yes I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

To answer the actual thread, I'm sick of it. I do remain positive and have an optimistic outlook both personally and in particular professionally but regarding the lockdown, it can f*ck off.

It is P*SS boring, the weather is sh*te, I have consumed a ton of Netflix and almost dread the working day ending as I'll be watching more, or Prime or Disney.

An then this morning we hear the "leak" of it going on until early March... I've done my bit and followed the rules and it meant nothing since millions of others did not. I have zero sympathy for other people, I'm not interested if they get sick, I am not sick and nor is my partner. This is a direct effect of the prolonged covid problem, my complete lack of sympathy or concern for anyone else.

I've done my bit and followed the rules and it meant nothing since millions of others did not. I have zero sympathy for other people, I'm not interested if they get sick, I am not sick and nor is my partner. This is a direct effect of the prolonged covid problem, my complete lack of sympathy or concern for anyone else.

One thing it definitely seems to have done is turn people against each other..
    It's not like there's been mass flouting of the lockdown?.. Of course you have to blame people breaking the rules, because the reality is these type of diseases at this time of year just spread..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It's not like there's been mass flouting of the lockdown?.. Of course you have to blame people breaking the rules, because the reality is these type of diseases at this time of year just spread..

I’m surprised it’s taken so long for people to turn against each other

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

To answer the actual thread, I'm sick of it. I do remain positive and have an optimistic outlook both personally and in particular professionally

Oh yeah? Brillia.........
    but regarding the lockdown, it can f*ck off.

It is P*SS boring, the weather is sh*te, I have consumed a ton of Netflix and almost dread the working day ending as I'll be watching more, or Prime or Disney.

An then this morning we hear the "leak" of it going on until early March... I've done my bit and followed the rules and it meant nothing since millions of others did not. I have zero sympathy for other people, I'm not interested if they get sick, I am not sick and nor is my partner. This is a direct effect of the prolonged covid problem, my complete lack of sympathy or concern for anyone else.

Oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

I actually don't mind the lockdown but this governments lack of planning, dumb rules (5km), fines and the medias reporting and celebrity style approach does my head in.

Dr. Bre wrote: »

It didn't take long.. there were signs of it within a week of lockdown starting last march..

silverharp wrote: »
    Demographics were different as well, a young population versus a middle aged one is going to behave differently. Germany today is turning into one big God's waiting room. A country like Iran might see a big shift for instance

I think there will be big shifts in society, how we live, where we live, how we work and so on. However we always see past with rose tinted glasses. We have just as much of a chance that this will be followed by some sort of misery not by time of huge excitement and opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Everyone has had enough really, but the alternative is mindblowingly abysmal... vaccine is here, just everyone keep their heads down and remain disciplined ffs. It sucks, it’s boring, it’s dull ... it’s necessary, it’s kept and keeping people well, alive and healthy.

It didn't take long.. there were signs of it within a week of lockdown starting last march..

To be fair, there are very good reasons for that!

While most of the country are adhering to the restrictions, you've got deluded morons gathering in town regularly because they think the Lizard People are trying to inject 5G into them via the vaccine. Then other groups organising raves here and there. In my locality we have sports clubs who haven't stopped their close-contact activities at all since the pandemic started. There's a certain gym with franchises all over the country who have been practicing close-contact sport the whole time with no repercussions.

It's tough to swallow for people who haven't seen their mothers or hugged their grannies in months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

Strumms wrote: »
    Everyone has had enough really, but the alternative is mindblowingly abysmal... vaccine is here, just everyone keep their heads down and remain disciplined ffs. It sucks, it’s boring, it’s dull ... it’s necessary, it’s kept and keeping people well, alive and healthy.

Well it would kind of piss you off 140,000 arriving into Dublin airport over Xmas with no restrictions.

No way they did two weeks quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I think the vast vast majority of people, who actually think about this in detail, find themselves saying "f**k this" multiple times a day. What a way to live :(

Edited to add that I'm generally a positive person but find the last year has just taken a toll. I think it's primarily driven by the fact that I have zero confidence in our leadership to make evidence based decisions and communicate appropriately. When that's not there, it's hard to find hope...

I'm actually ok during the whole thing but with two primary school kids and busy business our life wasn't full of excitement anyway. However one thing I firmly avoid is checking social media to see what others are doing and reading outraged accounts of rule breaking. There is no point getting angry and miserable about stuff we can't control and frankly obeying the rules and avoiding getting sick is not just good for society it's also for our own good.

It's funny too how, everywhere along the line, there's always some aspect of it that just makes no sense, many at this stage, that you can't question, and just have to go along with..

It's funny too how, everywhere along the line, there's always some aspect of it that just makes no sense, many at this stage, that you can't question, and just have to go along with..

Members of the Catholic Church have been doing that their whole lives here. It's second nature to them!

I started reading this thread and agreeing with the first few posts and it suddenly dawned on me it was opened in April of last year.

If the OP was fed up of Level three after about 6 weeks of it back in April, he or she must be rocking themselves in a corner 9 months later.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think there will be big shifts in society, how we live, where we live, how we work and so on. However we always see past with rose tinted glasses. We have just as much of a chance that this will be followed by some sort of misery not by time of huge excitement and opportunity.

I'd be positive, the 1930's was a resource crunch/grab as well. There are a lot of positive developments around the corner like 4th gen nuclear , Carbon capture. If the next 10 years is about the demise of commuting we are entering a #goldenage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Dr. Bre wrote: »

When your own government tells you " we're all in this together" which is a blatant lie, you can't blame people for turning on each other.

Advertisement