Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

uli84 wrote: »
    It’s like nearly all the other illnesses ceased to exist, only covid-19 kills...

Since day one of this lockdown the government, DOH and GP's have been telling people constantly to seek medical help if required or attention to health issues if required that have nothing to do with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

GazzaL wrote: »
    I've been in what is normally one of the busiest public hospitals in the country multiple times throughout the lockdown. The place is deserted.
    If we'd been sitting here with a Wuhan or Italy style situation with ICU patients scattered all over the hospital you'd be giving out as well.

The Irish people have done a brilliant job controlling this thing (for now), but there will more than likely be a second wave of this sometime in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

They saw the Italian experience of who was most in danger regarding the virus, instead they transferred sick people into care settings from hospitals. If the strategy is to kill a large number of our elderly it's working well.
    Mr President, Let me close with this final point. How a society treats its most vulnerable – whether children, the infirm or the elderly – is always the measure of its humanity. ... When a society begins to disregard the vulnerable and their rights, instability and conflict will only grow.

They saw the Italian experience of who was most in danger regarding the virus, instead they transferred sick people into care settings from hospitals. If the strategy is to kill a large number of our elderly it's working well.

Your faux concern for the elderly doesn't ring true.

The perfect reply to cheap vulgarity, and well said.

The concept of 'discussion boards' is lost on a fair few around here.

Personally, I have resisted all temptation to get the motorbike out, and it has not been easy on the glorious days we've had.

Apart from that, for various reasons, this crisis has hardly affected my lifestyle at all. I am very fortunate.

I will not break the restrictions, but I wouldn't say a word to someone of my acquaintance who at this stage is contemplating doing what you're doing.

If you need to do it, do it. I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you don't get caught.

I might or might not do it I posted because this lockdown is getting me down like many others I would say.
    I did not do it for a reaction or to insight others I shoot from the chest.

Nice to meet somebody such as yourself I hope you are doing ok during this time.:)

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »

bait-fish-e1580751369775-1024x752.jpg?resize=1024%2C752&ssl=1

Don't bite.;)

All this disingenuous mental health white-knighting. I don't believe 90% of the posters who bang on about that everyday are really that deeply concerned about the mental health of others - they just want to justify their own selfishness.

Overrun hospitals and thousands of people dying could be pretty depressing too.

The lock down strains everyone's mental health. But it's for the greater good: I can put up with it. I'm fortunate to be fit and well.

So far Covid 19 has killed 1200 people. I don't know what the figures are for death by Netflix.

All this disingenuous mental health white-knighting. I don't believe 90% of the posters who bang on about that everyday are really that deeply concerned about the mental health of others - they just want to justify their own selfishness.

The lock down strains everyone's mental health. But it's for the greater good: I can put up with it. I'm fortunate to be fit and well.

So far Covid 19 has killed 1200 people. I don't know what the figures are for death by Netflix.

Have to call it a night I have an early start.

Let me know is there is anything worth watching on Netflix when I get time.

Have to call it a night I have an early start.

Let me know is there is anything worth watching on Netflix when I get time.

You don't even have the integrity to pretend you're not a WUM.

Stay classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

I might or might not do it I posted because this lockdown is getting me down like many others I would say.
    I did not do it for a reaction or to insight others I shoot from the chest.

Nice to meet somebody such as yourself I hope you are doing ok during this time.:)

Actually a bit frustrated today because I wanted to be in the UK for my aunt's funeral service. She was very good to me thirty years ago when I went over for work, and a really great, strong woman anyway. Plus, she always laughed at my jokes, a sure sign of a good sort.

I lit a candle in the garden for her at 11.45, as the service started.

But I'm ok in general, thanks. Keep safe yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 furloughfornow

I am against the lcokdown in its current form for a number of reasons().

I will seperate by catergory but they are interlinked.

(1) Economic:

The economic toll of a lockdown is stagerring. 100,00s of productive members of society have, overnight been turned into drains on the economy. Having businessess shut down for months means people are no longer net contributers to the econoomy but rather a drain on it. Traditionally the unemployed indivual's drain on the economy has been far less per person than it is now. On top of this, we have people who are still working but being subsidised by the Governement. This money is not like tradtionally expenditure which should generate a return to the nation, it is being dished out to private companies, there is no guarantee that this investment will have a return i.e. multinational decides to pack up, business shuts down anyway, etc.

We will pay for this for years.

And paying for this for years means a decrease in public expentirue in other areas. The economic health of this counntry and personal wellbeing are intertwined. Preventing deaths from Covid-19 by this lockdown will result in death down the road.

(2) Societal impact

We are social animals. It is not healthy for people to stay lockedd up in the manner that we are now.

A lockdown serves to mimic many of the symptoms of depression. Staying in your room, isolating from loved ones: family, significant other and friends. This will serve to induce or exacerbate depression. Some people will feel depressed no matter what others will be more resillient, but everyone has a breaking point. Suicides have increased and will increase continue too do so. Other Mental health issues will profilerate which may not be easy to erase going forward.

Relationships between couples living together willl deterriote to an abnormal degree. Relationships are not predicated on a situation which both parties are confined to a large prison. Otherwise healthy realtions will fail in the current situation. Single parent homes will increase and the knock on effect of such an increase is well documented; an upsurge in crimianlity,emoitonal instability and further disfunction is statistically more prevalent in individuals from "broken homes".

Domestic abuse, child abuse have and will see an upturn due to the current shutdown.

(3)
    Constitonal freedoms and human rights.

This the single biggest deroogation of Constitonal rights in recent history. I do not believe that the govenrment has provided sufficeinet conclusive proof to justify a limitation of rights to this degree.

I am tired so i'll leave it there for now. Please excuse typos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The government are once again blaming people for their problems. They are the ones who could have stopped any need for social distancing and restricting people to staying 2km from their home they could have banned flights from Italy as soon as the first cases of Covid 19 were reported there and deny anyone coming on a connecting flight from China entry. If every country had banned flights from China this could have been stopped.

We are basically being asked to bail out the government and the HSE for their incompetence once again and I haven't heard even a murmur of an apology. The same incompetent HSE who said back in January the threat was moderate and they were well prepared.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/risk-of-coronavirus-in-ireland-remains-moderate-says-hse-1.4156713

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Mental health is a bandwagon that's been jumped on by a number of celebrities for the past number of years and it's absolutely nauseating. I can see it now is going to be used as an excuse for poor personal behavior. We have always been great at finding something else to blame but ourselves.

At 1200 deaths, most people won't know someone that's did from it, but might know of someone that's died from it. The disease is still quite remote for many, and that is a problem generated by the success of the measures.

I find it hard to fathom the selfishness in the OPs post to be honest. Yes I'm sick to the back teeth of the lockdown too (who enjoys queueing outside the supermarket?) and I hope this will be over soon. I can't wait until I'm allowed to make the journey to my parents house and go for a stroll in the countryside. But I won't go until I'm told that it's safe for everyone.

Of course I've had a to listen to someone I know telling me how they said goodbye to a loved one over FaceTime - not allowed into ICU because of this virus.

I've posted this video a few times before but at 20:53 he shows what will happen when disease controls are stopped or people stop behaving before the disease is eradicated

It's quite sobering.

Enjoy the walk OP, since it's one rule for you and another for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No idea why you would say 'faux' concern other than a pathetic attempt to defend and dismiss a glaring and incredibly stupid action by those in charge.
    When you sink to that type of response, it's very easy to dismiss you and any point you attempt to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

GT89 wrote: »
    The government are once again blaming people for their problems. They are the ones who could have stopped any need for social distancing and restricting people to staying 2km from their home they could have banned flights from Italy as soon as the first cases of Covid 19 were reported there and deny anyone coming on a connecting flight from China entry. If every country had banned flights from China this could have been stopped.

We are basically being asked to bail out the government and the HSE for their incompetence once again and I haven't heard even a murmur of an apology. The same incompetent HSE who said back in January the threat was moderate and they were well prepared.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/risk-of-coronavirus-in-ireland-remains-moderate-says-hse-1.4156713

What do you want an apology for?

For the HSE not being mystics? It was very much an evolving situation. And so far we are doing very well compared to almost everywhere else.

For the Government not shutting the doors on everyone the very second we heard a peep about covid? did you want a kneejerk reaction?

What would you have done different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Today was the first day in over a week where I had to travel beyond my 2km limit, only because I had to travel to the office for essential work. Did some grocery shopping on the way home. Hope it's a while before I have to travel far from home again. With some good weather forecast for the second half of this coming bank holiday weekend, I intend to spend as much time as I can getting a sun tan in my closest green space. When the weather is not so good, I'll continue some DIY projects in the house. In any case, I'll find something to do.

I've no urge to travel afar or do anything that involves me being away from my local residence. I just don't get why people feel they HAVE to travel somewhere for no reason but personal gratification which leads to the possibility of unknowingly spreading the disease.

I haven't seen my parents in person in almost two months but that's life at the moment. I miss them so much and I'd like to visit them so much but I can't.... Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Evidence or conspiracy? Certainly happened in the UK but Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

1000%... these days in any and every scenario people disingenuously throw the whole ‘mental health’ card at people who dare disagree with them or offer an alternative opinion, it boils my piss, it’s one of THE most disingenuous things you can do, just horrible.

“I want to walk a tiger down o’Connell St but I’m told I can’t, now I’m going to a solicitor who will appeal based on the fact that not being able to affects my mental health”

Saw it in my job, these fückwits skipping seniority Qs for shifts because they had kids and it was affecting their mental health working slightly inconvenient shifts and not seeing their kids as much as they’d like to... DEAL WITH IT ! Life isn’t a bed of roses and it certainly isn’t ALL about you, same with covid restrictions.

I’ve just about fûcking had it with this tiptoeing around these selfish freaks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Cupatae wrote: »
    What do you want an apology for?

For the HSE not being mystics? It was very much an evolving situation. And so far we are doing very well compared to almost everywhere else.

For the Government not shutting the doors on everyone the very second we heard a peep about covid? did you want a kneejerk reaction?

What would you have done different.

Em for a start the large numbers of deaths that could have been prevented. Secondly people have been left out of work, people have been unable to take part in recreational activities and have subject to not being able to go more than 2km from their homes.

I would have banned all foreign travellers coming from China and any Irish citizen returning be placed in forced qurantine for two weeks. New Zealand has had much fewer deaths and successfully repressed the virus by closing their borders and forcing people to qurantine they have had just 19 deaths we have had 1,232.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

GT89 wrote: »
    Em for a start the large numbers of deaths that could have been prevented. Secondly people have been left out of work, people have been unable to take part in recreational activities and have subject to not being able to go more than 2km from their homes.

I would have banned all foreign travellers coming from China and any Irish citizen returning be placed in forced qurantine for two weeks. New Zealand has had much fewer deaths and successfully repressed the virus by closing their borders and forcing people to qurantine they have had just 19 deaths we have had 1,232.

Even without those restrictions, their death toll would have been much lower. It's the most remote developed country in the world : 2500 miles from their nearest neighbour. Ireland has four times as many tourists every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

People from the North free to move all over Ireland.
    Scab slave labour being flown in on flights.

Travellers totally free to do what they want when they want where they want.

I am working long hours which are deemed essential.

I am going to get out for a decent drive this weekend and head for a beauty spot and get out for a walk and enjoy the sun.

Before you shut me down mods can you answer what harm I will be doing?

This is a discussion forum we are not living in China or North Korea.

You're not alone on this. I'd recommend keeping to the rules.

I think governments both in Ireland and the UK (where I'm living) need to be clearer with the public though. I think if there was a clear timetable like what is being discussed in continental Europe I think people would be able to focus on this and get to the end of the line.

To those saying it is easy, cop on. It isn't for many people. Particularly those living alone at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You're not alone on this. I'd recommend keeping to the rules.

I think governments both in Ireland and the UK (where I'm living) need to be clearer with the public though. I think if there was a clear timetable like what is being discussed in continental Europe I think people would be able to focus on this and get to the end of the line.

To those saying it is easy, cop on. It isn't for many people. Particularly those living alone at the moment.

Any timetable would be made up and unreliable.

We are going to get a framework of some sort today.

Its going to be more along the lines of when icu beds occupied are below x we do y than anything with dates but it will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I am going to get out for a decent drive this weekend and head for a beauty spot and get out for a walk and enjoy the sun.

We're all fed up.. but the world doesn't revolve around you and you alone. Suck it up and act like a grown up..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Strumms wrote: »
    1000%... these days in any and every scenario people disingenuously throw the whole ‘mental health’ card at people who dare disagree with them or offer an alternative opinion, it boils my piss, it’s one of THE most disingenuous things you can do, just horrible.

“I want to walk a tiger down o’Connell St but I’m told I can’t, now I’m going to a solicitor who will appeal based on the fact that not being able to affects my mental health”

Saw it in my job, these fückwits skipping seniority Qs for shifts because they had kids and it was affecting their mental health working slightly inconvenient shifts and not seeing their kids as much as they’d like to... DEAL WITH IT ! Life isn’t a bed of roses and it certainly isn’t ALL about you, same with covid restrictions.

I’ve just about fûcking had it with this tiptoeing around these selfish freaks.

Hmmmm

Was it because they weren't "seeing" their kids or was it because of childcare arrangements which like it or not have to be worked with..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Strumms wrote: »
    For the moment, those with greater expertise and insight and responsibility for making this decision would respectfully disagree.

I didn't finish college, same as Simon Harris. Does that give me "greater expertise and insight" too??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Any timetable would be made up and unreliable.

We are going to get a framework of some sort today.

Its going to be more along the lines of when icu beds occupied are below x we do y than anything with dates but it will be interesting.

Not true.

We should be able to give estimates based on the rate of change of the lockdown measures and the effect of the R0 during that time. Other countries in Europe have managed to give indications on this. There is no reason why the Ireland and the UK can't either.

Even getting an answer as to what an acceptable R0 value would be before lockdown could be eased would be helpful.

Without more information discipline will be hard to keep. People like the OP will go out.

Gynoid wrote: »
    You haven't really, though. Aside from calling people who work here gathering crops "scabs", you have posted in a sulky manner with the intention to incite others to follow your example.

I agree with smelly sock. Do it. No need to advertise it, or to be incendiary about it, or to look for any attention. Under normal circumstances it would be a completely uninteresting and irrelevant act to others where you take your air, but you publicise your intention here specifically with the aim of undermining the delicate social cohesion required to maintain a pandemic response.

You are getting out more than most as it is, but if you need so desperately to get air somewhere else then don't turn it into a political act. Just do it privately.

In fact I wish you and all the others on boards who are constantly raging about the "lockdown" would just go out and do what it is ye want to do. I don't mean you personally are constantly raging because you are not, that I have seen, though this thread is a kick at the societal effort. I mean those who day in day out have been whinging, pleading some existential case for the economy, even weaponising suicide and at all times attempting to erode the huge public health attempt to contain a novel contagion.

To those people I say get a job in a place that is still open if ye want to be out in a public workplace. Drink cans on the public green and have parties and picnics. Cavort closely with each other. Visit each others houses with complete abandon. Bring the irksome virus that is not all it is cracked up to be back to your homes and families. Just do it. If that is what it takes to shut up yer ceaseless whining then off ye all go. On one condition ye keep yer fcuking mouths shut later on when the seeds ye have sown come to fruition.

That's actually the funniest post I've seen in a long time. If you go out the virus will get you. :D:D:D Strange we aren't seeing spikes around the areas where these street parties are happening. If there were it would be on every news bulletin in the country to take away from the nursing homes shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

You’re like the person who wants to go surfing in a red weather warning.

You think what harm can I do? I’ll only hurt myself.

The fact is by doing something non-essential you have the potential to put demand on our essential services, ambulances, police, hospitals etc

If anything happens you, you take up time and resources that are in demand.

I know you’ll say you drive to work, but that’s essential you say, we need you to do that.

So while a drive to the beach and a stroll sounds therapeutic you are just creating the potential demand for our essential services for a non-essential journey.

Do you want to be the person who was rescued on the way work keeping essential services open or the guy that had to be rescued on an non essential journey?

Don’t but pressure on resources that could be used to save someone who needs them.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Nine o'clock RTE news tonight - a huge increase in the number of people taking daily exercise.

Strangely, no mention whatsoever of it on RTE.ie/news or when i google "increase in people taking daily exercise ireland".

Was that a huge increase in general? or since the beginning of the restrictions?? How are they measuring this??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

That's actually the funniest post I've seen in a long time. If you go out the virus will get you. :D:D:D Strange we aren't seeing spikes around the areas where these street parties are happening. If there were it would be on every news bulletin in the country to take away from the nursing homes shambles.

Glad you got a laugh. On top of a lovely morning what more can you ask for.
    Basically you think the whole pandemic restrictions were unnecessary then. People should have continued as normal, no need for staying home on the basis that it is laughable that if people go out they may get and spread the virus. Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to be completely wrong.

Advertisement