Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Gidea wrote: »
    He's arguing the point that we should accept a number of people dying per day. This is unacceptable in my mind as it would be asking me to accept the possibility of my parents dying as they are over 75 and in the at-risk group. I'm all for getting patients into hospitals for non-COVID related reasons, but we shouldn't accept daily deaths from a preventable virus in order to do this

So many are dying at the frontline of the war on Covid19. I was glad to see that RTE the other night on Prime Time had a great piece on "the weapons needed to fight the war on Covid19", it was awe inspiring, made me feel soo gung ho. This is war folks, war on Covid19. So far we have kept up our moral with things like clapping for our healthcare hero's on the frontline, having virtual sessions so we can feel like we are not drinking alone at home and baking. I myself have made flap jacks and pancakes, I'm not really sure if that can be considered baking, but it's close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

Arghus wrote: »
    Since day one of this lockdown the government, DOH and GP's have been telling people constantly to seek medical help if required or attention to health issues if required that have nothing to do with Covid.

I don’t know if required until I'm screened and screening stopped, unfortunately some health complications don’t “hurt” but they still are very serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

There's some amount of doom and gloom merchants on this forum and lockdown fanatics,jaysus imagine having to live in the same house as these absolute nutters:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Ireland 7th worse in the world covid deaths vs population - Sweden and USA better than us
    Media not report this fact - hardly a sign of a successful lockdown

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

wpd wrote: »
    Ireland 7th worse in the world covid deaths vs population - Sweden and USA better than us
    Media not report this fact - hardly a sign of a successful lockdown

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

We count non-hospital deaths and "possible" deaths. Most other countries don't. Comparing apples and oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Paddygreen wrote: »
    So many are dying at the frontline of the war on Covid19. I was glad to see that RTE the other night on Prime Time had a great piece on the weapons needed to fight the war on Covid19, it was awe inspiring. This is war folks, war on Covid19. So far we have kept up our moral with things like clapping for our healthcare hero's on the frontline, having virtual sessions so we can feel like we are not drinking alone at home and baking. I myself have made flap jacks and pancakes and I'm not really sure if that can be considered baking, but it is close enough.

You are not truly doing a groovy lockdown Paddy until you have made excellent sourdough bread, learned at least one new language on duolingo and done Zoom yogalates sessions at least thrice a week. Pancakes is a mediocre effort from a man who claims to so enthusiastically woohoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

jonnny68 wrote: »
    There's some amount of doom and gloom merchants on this forum and lockdown fanatics,jaysus imagine having to live in the same house as these absolute nutters:eek:

I find it odd when I see people relishing the thought of being shuttered at home under effective house arrest for 18 months.

I expect the government to use the time that I am lending them to be able to put alternative measures in place to begin being able to come out of this lockdown. We shouldn't expect any less.

Transparency should be demanded in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly I think while some people are starting to suffer a bit of "cabin fever" they need to be reminded and keep reminding themselves that staying at home IS WORKING, the numbers are coming down and that if we can last another 2 or 3 weeks it will be enough to be able to manage this and gradually reopen things. It sucks that we've all be mostly stuck at home for the best part of 2 months but if we dont do this right the first time we get stuck in a repeat loop and more people die. It sucks but the alternative IS WORSE.

I find it odd when I see people relishing the thought of being shuttered at home under effective house arrest for 18 months.

I expect the government to use the time that I am lending them to be able to put alternative measures in place to begin being able to come out of this lockdown. We shouldn't expect any less.

Transparency should be demanded in the coming weeks.

sarcasm isnt your strong point mate, repeat after me.....must try harder.

Infini wrote: »
    Honestly I think while some people are starting to suffer a bit of "cabin fever" they need to be reminded and keep reminding themselves that staying at home IS WORKING, the numbers are coming down and that if we can last another 2 or 3 weeks it will be enough to be able to manage this and gradually reopen things. It sucks that we've all be mostly stuck at home for the best part of 2 months but if we dont do this right the first time we get stuck in a repeat loop and more people die. It sucks but the alternative IS WORSE.

The government also need to level with the public and be transparent. If people are given an idea as to how long this will last their support will be ensured.

• Advertisement

Infini wrote: »

Dont you understand, what might be just tough for you will be a million times harder for others, should people with severe mental health problems just suck it up, should the elderly with no families and no one to talk to just suck it up,etc,etc, restrictions have been eased in other countries, no one is suggesting we should go back to what it was like before but some NEED to be lifted asap those being the 2km, elderly and some businesses reopen,the implications otherwise will be far far greater.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    sarcasm isnt your strong point mate, repeat after me.....must try harder.

If your posts are more accurate when you're sarcastic brilliant. Take it out for a spin more often.

There are quite a lot of posts here relishing the thought of being locked up at home for 18 months (or until a vaccine).

We all know of course that that isn't possible on a personal level or on an economic one. Eventually we need to learn how to live with this virus and adapt our lives to it. Lockdown isn't sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

We accept a certain % of people who drive dying per year, or are you in favour of parking the car up until such a time we can drive without fatalities??

Apple and oranges there.

Also we dont accept deaths on the road. Safety standards have increase massivly in cars due to regulations or 'restrictions', and divers are punished if drink drinking/driving iressposnably etc. Its a tragedy that people are still driving pissed and/or recklessly on roads causing death

If you want to compare the two, then people who are flauntnig current restrictions are the same as people driving while on their phone or pissed.

Apple and oranges there.

Also we dont accept deaths on the road. Safety standards have increase massivly in cars due to regulations or 'restrictions', and divers are punished if drink drinking/driving iressposnably etc. Its a tragedy that people are still driving pissed and/or recklessly on roads causing death

If you want to compare the two, then people who are flauntnig current restrictions are the same as people driving while on their phone or pissed.

And eventually in this pandemic we are going to have to work to build alternative safeguarding measures so we can come out of lockdown. Or am I wrong on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

I've definitely had enough. 25km from nearest family. Boyfriend lives 1.5 hours away. At this rate I'll be very lucky to see them before June. How is that fair? By all means encourage social distancing, close the schools, encourage people to work from home and cancel large gatherings but stopping people from being around their loved ones is becoming very hard to take. I've complied up to now and would be happy to do another week or so of this but after that it becomes far too much to ask of people. I'm sure there's plenty of people in similar situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Concretejungle

The government also need to level with the public and be transparent. If people are given an idea as to how long this will last their support will be ensured.

The Govt. can't be transparent because unfortunately they don't know how long this virus is going to go on, so they can't tell us when the restrictions will be lifted and that's the frustrating part. They are trying to level with the people by telling them what stage we need to be at before we can go back to normal but they don't know when we will reach that stage. I don't know what the answer is. I wish I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Apple and oranges there.

Every year hundreds of thousands of people die in RTAs worldwide. Again, should we stop all driving until such a time it is 100% safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

One thing that this lockdown has highlited for me is that it brings out the real character of a person. When it come down to it, people are asked to sit on their arse for a few weeks in order that some others are not departing this planet sooner than they deserve. This is deemed cruel and unusual punishment by some who I believe have no empathy with those who have lost someone they loved due to Covid-19. I have witnessed now former 'friends' who flout the restrictions without a care in the world. It is a real character tester if nothing else.

And eventually in this pandemic we are going to have to work to build alternative safeguarding measures so we can come out of lockdown. Or am I wrong on this?

No i agree with this, but we shouldnt reach a point where we consider an acceptable number of daily deaths to come out of lockdown. 1 per day is too much for something that wasnt here a year ago. (I dont agree with the swedish modal, they've a similar amount of cases and twice the deaths)

More people have died during this pandemic than in the easter rising and will soon surpass the deaths of the irish civil war, and its only been 8 weeks. Its easliy the biggest health crisis and risk to life we've experienced during the course of the republic.

People need to play ball with the government while they try and manage it. ATM current restrictions are working IMO. If they need time to see what works and doesn't then we should give it to them.

The Govt. can't be transparent because unfortunately they don't know how long this virus is going to go on, so they can't tell us when the restrictions will be lifted and that's the frustrating part. They are trying to level with the people by telling them what stage we need to be at before we can go back to normal but they don't know when we will reach that stage. I don't know what the answer is. I wish I did.

Again, I don't buy that. Based on the progress that has been made so far in reducing the R0 value and given the rate of deaths and the rate of new cases it should be possible to estimate this on the basis of the data.

Edit:
    No i agree with this, but we shouldnt reach a point where we consider an acceptable number of daily deaths to come out of lockdown. 1 per day is too much for something that wasnt here a year ago. (I dont agree with the swedish modal, they've a similar amount of cases and twice the deaths)

More people have died during this pandemic than in the easter rising and will soon surpass the deaths of the irish civil war, and its only been 8 weeks. Its easliy the biggest health crisis and risk to life we've experienced during the course of the republic.

People need to play ball with the government while they try and manage it. ATM current restrictions are working IMO. If they need time to see what works and doesn't then we should give it to them.

And governments need to play ball with the population by levelling with them and setting realistic expectations about when this can be eased. They cannot have a carte blanche to do whatever they want. They need to be accountable to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Hes arguing the point that we should accept a number of people dying per day. This is unacceptable in my mind as it would be asking me to accept the possibility of my parents dying as they are over 75 and in the at risk group. Im all for getting patients into hosptiples for non COVID related reasons, but we shouldnt accept daily deaths from a preventable virus in order to do this

By this logic you will be asking your parents to cocoon whilst also maintaining a quarantine for yourself and your family for the duration of flu season every year going forward.

The fact of the matter is that in life and society we accept a number of preventable deaths each and every day, that truth may not be palatable to some to consider. In a way it is horrifying, but that's the way we operate as a society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Hes arguing the point that we should accept a number of people dying per day. This is unacceptable in my mind as it would be asking me to accept the possibility of my parents dying as they are over 75 and in the at risk group. Im all for getting patients into hosptiples for non COVID related reasons, but we shouldnt accept daily deaths from a preventable virus in order to do this

By this logic you will be asking your parents to cocoon whilst also maintaining a quarantine for yourself and your family for the duration of flu season every year going forward.

The fact of the matter is that in life and society we accept a number of preventable deaths each and every day, that truth may not be palatable to some to consider. In a way it is horrifying, but that's the way we operate as a society.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

magic17 wrote: »
    I've definitely had enough. 25km from nearest family. Boyfriend lives 1.5 hours away. At this rate I'll be very lucky to see them before June. How is that fair? By all means encourage social distancing, close the schools, encourage people to work from home and cancel large gatherings but stopping people from being around their loved ones is becoming very hard to take. I've complied up to now and would be happy to do another week or so of this but after that it becomes far too much to ask of people. I'm sure there's plenty of people in similar situations.

You think a virus cares about fair? Where does fairness come into this at all?

I wish people would stop whining as if they are owed something here.

There is a virus. We need to stop it spreading. It's working. We just have to keep it up a little while longer.

"Oh no, I can't see my boyfriend"

"Oh no, I can't get my haircut"

"Oh no, I can't drive to an arbitrary spot for no other reason than to be awkward"

Stop crying like little children about it and suck it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Every year hundreds of thousands of people die in RTAs worldwide. Again, should we stop all driving until such a time it is 100% safe.

148 died on Irish roads in 2019. Not much of a comparison.

MrStuffins wrote: »

There is a virus. We need to stop it spreading. It's working. We just have to keep it up a little while longer.

"Oh no, I can't drive to an arbitrary spot for no other reason than to be awkward"

It won't disappear until there's a vaccine, and that could take months, years or never happen.

You come across as being very selfish, not caring about anyone else's life. People being unable to see their families and partners, losing their livelihoods, is destroying the fabric of our society.

empacher wrote: »
    148 died on Irish roads in 2019. Not much of a comparison.

1 is too many. We still don't ban driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Answering a question the OP posed and sharing my personal experience is hardly whining. Looking to be able to see your loved ones after complying with these restrictions for well over a month is hardly being "owed something".

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

The virus will be here for years and years until there is an effective vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stop crying like little children and suck it up.... wow what uncaring thing to say.

Tell that to people who have lost their jobs and dont have a business to go back to. People might not be able to pay their mortgages when the mortgage break is over. But they're being to told to suck it up ??

People are going to have to learn to live alongside it and eventually people will go back to work and visit family etc. Its already happening, people wont accept not seeing family for 2 months or longer.

• Advertisement

And every year car manufacturers and governments work together to increase safety standards and reduce deaths. Restriction on speed limits, alcohol consumption, not wearing seatbelt, unsafe features etc. has significantly reduced deaths in this country. IE restrictions work, as is the same for COVID-19 currently

When people flaunt these restrictions on roads, it causes death

Advertisement