Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Buer wrote: »
    How is it going, as a matter of interest? I'm rapidly approaching my mid-life crisis so wouldn't mind being able to order a pint, a tequila chaser and a bag of bacon fries in Tenerife in Spanish.

It's pretty cleverly designed actually. What put me off learning Spanish for years was the thought of learning verb conjugation.
    But this app very slowly introduces verb usage. Almost sneakily does so.

So I'm into my second month and I still haven't learned any we, you (plural) or they parts of verbs, but I can tell you that "he needs to use the car" no problem!

I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

It is

Man that is a cheap way to increase your post count. If you post a few more times IBF, you’ll have enough posts that boards will let you post attachments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Zzippy wrote: »
    I don't know, I'd say there are a few Russian bots pop up on here.

Recent join date. Check.
    Numbers in their userame. Check.
    Post inflammatory content to stir up indignation. Check.
    No mates. Check check.

;)

Phew. I joined in 2001 so only 3 out of 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Phew. I joined in 2001 so only 3 out of 4.

Nah, you post bears. Shucks, you're everybody's mate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nah, you post bears. Shucks, you're everybody's mate here.

He's smarter than the average poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Synode wrote: »
    Delete Facebook. Best thing I ever done

Myself and my partner did this almost 4 years ago. The amount of poison and hate being shared is alarming never mind the privacy issues.

ALL HAIL THE EARL OF AVOIRDUPOIS!

23.4 cubic feet, 1408lbs...

...aaaand NEWWWWWW Fat Bear Week Champion of the WOOOOOOORLD

EjuVGvZXsAEhirg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Neil3030 wrote: »
    ALL HAIL THE EARL OF AVOIRDUPOIS!

23.4 cubic feet, 1408lbs...

...aaaand NEWWWWWW Fat Bear Week Champion of the WOOOOOOORLD

EjuVGvZXsAEhirg.jpg

And the Chicago Bears are 4-1!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

errlloyd wrote: »
    Watched this last night and I was wondering if anyone is taking any personal health actions off the back of it? I'd self diagnose with a relatively serious device and social media addiction.

Smartphone screentime is on average around 4 hours per day, and that is when I am working from home and have unlimited access to social media on my as well. I get about 400 notifications per day. I am not really on twitter but scroll facebook and instagram pretty regulalary.

Enabled some "nighttime" features on the phone last night, no notifications and only black and white after 9pm. But I was wondering if anyone had any other strategies.

I don't let any of those apps give notifications, have turned them all off.

I haven't watched most of the social media oriented documentaries because I think I'd get annoyed. Around 3 years ago I gradually removed around 50 people from my facebook because they regularly posted or liked absolute nonsense relating to politics, vaccinations or other culture issues that are largely irrelevant.

I never engage in any discussion on facebook, I post family related items from time to time. I never post anything specifically about myself and I barely touch the platform anymore. I only ever used twitter for work and have never tweeted anything non work related. I think a lot of the echo chambers on facebook form because most reasonable / rational people have no desire to engage on that kind of a platform consistently.

I don't have any other social media and won't be getting any. I would be strongly in favour of social media being HEAVILY regulated. It's warping minds and is as dangerous as the pandemic. Trump and Brexit are two very serious consequences of the lack of regulation in media and social media and whilst I feel authoritarian saying it - I think the sooner strict standards are placed on both print and social media the sooner society can return to some level of progressive functionality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I haven't watched most of the social media oriented documentaries because I think I'd get annoyed. Around 3 years ago I gradually removed around 50 people from my facebook because they regularly posted or liked absolute nonsense relating to politics, vaccinations or other culture issues that are largely irrelevant.

I never engage in any discussion on facebook, I post family related items from time to time. I never post anything specifically about myself and I barely touch the platform anymore. I only ever used twitter for work and have never tweeted anything non work related. I think a lot of the echo chambers on facebook form because most reasonable / rational people have no desire to engage on that kind of a platform consistently.

I don't have any other social media and won't be getting any. I would be strongly in favour of social media being HEAVILY regulated. It's warping minds and is as dangerous as the pandemic. Trump and Brexit are two very serious consequences of the lack of regulation in media and social media and whilst I feel authoritarian saying it - I think the sooner strict standards are placed on both print and social media the sooner society can return to some level of progressive functionality.

I’ve tweeted a link to your post and posted a screenshot to Instagram. Couldn’t agree more with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I use Facebook occasionally, and I'm a member of a few groups that I have an interest in, and I see absolutely no toxic **** at all on my feed and pretty much never have. I use it in a similar way that I'd use boards.ie, ask or answer a question here or there. I know it has the worst reputation on the planet but I get utility from it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I’ve tweeted a link to your post and posted a screenshot to Instagram. Couldn’t agree more with you.

Futurama-Fry.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

My facebook feed is 90% pictures of guys holding fish or talking about fishing, 5% people posting family stuff and 5% news/current affairs/Trump etc. I find it easy to filter out that 5% if I want to. I'm in a heap of groups about fishing hence the 90%, and I enjoy the interaction there, but it's never about politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I came off Facebook about 7 years ago. It was a pile of shīte back then and from my wife showing me the very odd picture on her account, it looks to have got worse. It just seems to be a constant stream of ads now.
    I think when my mother signed up I signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Deleted my Facebook years ago when the app kept sending me push notifications about stupid ****e despite me trawling through the settings to disable inconsequential notifications several times. Never really missed it tbh.

Where would I get my Simpson's memes if I deleted facebook

My facebook feed is 90% pictures of guys holding fish or talking about fishing

Confirmed.

Zzippy = Alaskan brown bear.

3f55fc09-f2e4-4e00-8964-ed36f260be9f-AP_Interior_Hunting_Alaska.JPG?crop=3741,2105,x0,y138&width=3200&height=1801&format=pjpg&auto=webp

And the Chicago Bears are 4-1!

Boeing founded in Chicago.

747 wins Fat Bear Week 2020.

Moons seem to be aligning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone know why a PCIe WiFi/Bluetooth card would only start once every 5 bootups of Windows10. When it doesn't start, WIFI/Bluetooth not available, and the device is not showing in Network Adapters in Device Management, unless you show hidden devices. Tried updating the drivers etc. but getting nowhere. Is it just a faulty card? Maybe I should change the slot it's in.

• Advertisement

Sounds similar to an issue I had with an old laptop. I ended up buying a usb wifi dongle.

Anyone know why a PCIe WiFi/Bluetooth card would only start once every 5 bootups of Windows10. When it doesn't start, WIFI/Bluetooth not available, and the device is not showing in Network Adapters in Device Management, unless you show hidden devices. Tried updating the drivers etc. but getting nowhere. Is it just a faulty card? Maybe I should change the slot it's in.

Hard to know but the randomness to me would suggest a software problem. If it was the slot or the card (hardware) it would most likely either work or not work and not switch between the two.

Presuming you are using windows 10 maybe check the brand of card and see if there are any known conflicts. Has this been the case since you installed it or has the issue developed subsequently?

Perhaps did a large bear or fishing enthusiast sit on it?

Hard to know but the randomness to me would suggest a software problem. If it was the slot or the card (hardware) it would most likely either work or not work and not switch between the two.

Presuming you are using windows 10 maybe check the brand of card and see if there are any known conflicts. Has this been the case since you installed it or has the issue developed subsequently?

Perhaps did a large bear or fishing enthusiast sit on it?

Yeah using Windows 10 and the card is a Ziyituod WiFi 6. I've only really started using the card since I got the Virgin 1GB broadband a few weeks ago as the speeds were much quicker over WiFi, but now it's not working half the time. Ah well, I'll go back to the wired. Or buy another card/dongle.

The Boys is some show - just watched the final episode of season 2 having only started watching it (season 1) around 2 weeks ago.

Hysterically funny at times and very entertaining.

Love The Boys. Think I've watched up to the 3rd or 4th episode of S2. The scene with The Deep rescuing the dolphins in S1 is a classic.

Love The Boys. Think I've watched up to the 3rd or 4th episode of S2. The scene with The Deep rescuing the dolphins in S1 is a classic.

From the start of the Spice Girls monologue to the truck is the funniest few minutes of TV I've seen in a long time.

The slowmo eye contact with the Dolphin.... I was nearly sick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Boys is some show - just watched the final episode of season 2 having only started watching it (season 1) around 2 weeks ago time.

Hysterically funny at times and very entertaining.

Absolutely love it. Watched S1 last year and find it quite refreshing. I know some people have an issue with Butcher's accent but it doesn't bother me (though obviously I'm not cockney and not in a position to judge). I really like Urban though in general - Dredd is one of my favourite movies.

Found season 2 to be a bit hit and miss. Not much interest in a lot of the characters. Homelander is carrying it.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Absolutely love it. Watched S1 last year and find it quite refreshing. I know some people have an issue with Butcher's accent but it doesn't bother me (though obviously I'm not cockney and not in a position to judge). I really like Urban though in general - Dredd is one of my favourite movies.

Hadn't noticed anything amiss with the accent, certainly nothing immersion breaking. Urban is made for the role, carries the coarseness and intensity without becoming a caricature. The whole cast is terrific imo - there is an array of very interesting and well written characters. All the Boy's are relatable in one way or another - none of them feel overly contrived considering the genre and I haven't lost interest in any of their individual story lines.

Agree on Dredd - it was a top notch action thriller and a very underrated film where Urban did what Stallone wouldn't - stayed faithful to the character.

Found season 2 to be a bit hit and miss. Not much interest in a lot of the characters. Homelander is carrying it.

Season 2 isn't as good as season 1 and goes off on a bit of a tangent with strong political overtones, but the bar is still incredibly high as far as I'm concerned. Homelander is like putting a young Donald Trump in the body of Superman - terrifying and fascinating in equal measures.

Season 3 straight onto the must watch list as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »

Butcher's accent is hilarious. I'll never be able to hear the word diabolical again without thinking of him

Advertisement