Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Outside Ireland that seems to be the case but not so much here.

Amongst other things, we haven't been targeted as much as other places, I suspect. We're just not important enough. We're just as susceptible as elsewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    KangaReich maybe??

Austeroo maybe
    Or Australlaby

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'm currently in the middle of a twitter spat with a "journalist" who lived here once but moved abroad. Turns out he's a genius and should have been a political leader here years ago!!

Sigh. We've all been that soldier. Luckily he blocks long before you realise how much more valuable your own time is, saving you minutes of your life and never have to see his sh1te again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

So Level 5 it is. But they've gone nuclear with the 5km restriction. It wasn't so bad in spring when we had great weather. 5km is fine if you live in town, with access to parks, playgrounds etc. A lot tougher for families who don't live near any of those facilities. Do they not remember how much happier people were when they could go 20km after being cooped up so long? I support the increased restrictions but they need to take more heed of people's mental health, people need a physical outlet and 5km removes the ability for many to get out for walks in a safe environment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Zzippy wrote: »
    Sigh. We've all been that soldier. Luckily he blocks long before you realise how much more valuable your own time is, saving you minutes of your life and never have to see his sh1te again.

Spot on. He doesn’t argue in good faith. His instinct is to go for the ad hominem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

aloooof wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment of this, but my impression is that abuses of social media are as much (or more) to blame for the proliferation of right win populism.

(I say this as I'm in the middle of a book called Mindf*ck about Cambridge Analytica. It's great so far, and pretty frightening).

Tricky to tell for sure. I've no doubt woke/cancel culture has irritated a few people, possibly even pushing them to the right. But I can't imagine it's had near the same effect of the tidal wave of right wing astro-turfing we've seen in the last few years.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Outside Ireland that seems to be the case but not so much here.

Yeah, combination of us being largely irrelevant but also the fact that we have an outlet for populism here in Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well when the media are all ready controlled by the right wing parties that have controlled the state for over 100 years why bother?

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm currently in the middle of a twitter spat with a "journalist" who lived here once but moved abroad. Turns out he's a genius and should have been a political leader here years ago!!

See you started off badly by engaging with the Lovin Dublin guy, and things went downhill from there.

Avoid the crazies mfceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I have yer man in Brazil blocked and I’ve actually forgotten his name now (bliss) so I can’t even search for him! Kildares greatest shame.

Incredible feature

Oh, he's from Kildare?

That explains a few things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I have yer man in Brazil blocked and I’ve actually forgotten his name now (bliss) so I can’t even search for him! Kildares greatest shame.

Incredible feature

He started again this morning. I didn't.

Namaste.

Last time I looked someone up on twitter was when that Three Red Kings lad took the build up thread seriously :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

My Twitter feed is an ocean of calm - nothing but nerds posting stats about FPL.

Anyone pipes up with political talk, I don't care if it's moaning about their bins being collected late, it's an instant unfollow and/or block.

Be ruthless in your curation, and serenity can be yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

She did shut him down when required which was the right thing to do and a good example of how you manage someone like that without putting yourself as direct opposition.

Let's say you put Boris Johnson in the hot seat. His party enjoy popular support and whilst he is disliked, he isn't sitting on 1% of the vote. He will still fall apart under scrutiny but his media allies will quickly paint the interviewer as biased and partisan based on her lack of neutrality displayed throughout.

In essence - she will become the talking point and we've seen it repeatedly in the UK where the presence of a strong and coordinated right wing media platform can turn around and smear someone who shows the slightest hint of bias and turn that into the story.

New Zealand has just given an overwhelming mandate to a highly liberal left wing Government. In that climate interviewers can attack bull****ters like Ross and that's no bad thing, but try and apply that elsewhere and people will retreat into their camps rather than take the interview seriously.

Again - I fully agree with her, but she isn't really interviewing him here, she is debating him. It's cathartic but it won't be effective elsewhere.

Here is an example of what I would see as a more effective style of interview where the interviewer is tough but relatively neutral: https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-10-02/getting-r-number-below-one-key-to-lifting-north-west-restrictions-prime-minister-tells-itv-news

Prime example of this is the Tories blanket ban on interviews with Piers Morgan. The subsequent attacks by bots and hardline Brexiters on Twitter, labeling him a scaremonger and blaming him for mental health issues. Trying to shift the story away from their cowardice. Simply because he wouldn’t let them tell lies. They couldn’t paint him as a left wing elitist but still tried to invalidate his questions. It worked very well with the Brexiters, even though he was previously their darling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Zzippy wrote: »

Clearly I’m not annoying enough, fvcker wouldn’t block me. I had to mute him for my own peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ewan McKenna I presume. Why would you bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ewan McKenna I presume. Why would you bother?

Halfway through the "conversation" I wondered the same myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Christ, just to top it all off, ****ing Fungie has gone and (likely) died. What a year.

Halfway through the "conversation" I wondered the same myself.

He quite honestly just flip-flops his position to whatever the 'Ireland is terrible' angle is. His view on Covid has done a complete 180 and seems to be entirely informed by the decisions Ireland takes. First we were terrible because people were dying, then we were terrible because we went into lockdown to stop people dying, he's an absolute clown.

He seems to be a deeply unhappy man or else a complete spoofer to garner attention. Either one is no way to live.

• Advertisement

He seems to be a deeply unhappy man or else a complete spoofer to garner attention. Either one is no way to live.

The only good thing is, he used to be a semi-regular on the likes of OTB or think he was on Second Captains a few times but since he's gone off the deep end I've heard very little of him in the media here, which is a relief. He used to write for the Indo as well, not sure if he does or doesn't anymore.

AOC got 400,000 live viewers playing a video game last night. Interesting enough stunt. The game itself revolves around voting out bad guys. Read into that as you want :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

awec wrote: »
    See you started off badly by engaging with the Lovin Dublin guy, and things went downhill from there.

Avoid the crazies mfceiling.
    I haven't gone near that site since I found out that it also has 'Lovin' Saudi' in its stable. And a more fawning adoration of Mr. Bone Saw and his family you wouldn't find outside the Saudi government press. Last time I checked Jamie Heaslip owned 9% of the group.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I haven't gone near that site since I found out that it also has 'Lovin' Saudi' in its stable. And a more fawning adoration of Mr. Bone Saw and his family you wouldn't find outside the Saudi government press. Last time I checked Jamie Heaslip owned 9% of the group.

He's involved somehow yea.

Site is garbage. Got caught out once asking for free stuff in exchange for favourable coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    He's involved somehow yea.

Site is garbage. Got caught out once asking for free stuff in exchange for favourable coverage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/5etnlz/lovin_dublin_are_at_it_again/

Himself and Ew*n are well suited. Two cowboys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Podge_irl wrote: »

This is EXACTLY as off as I think these people are, doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Corrupt immoral weirdo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

i think the real question that piece raises is how often is Giuliani in the situation where he’s being offered an underaged girl in exchange for political favours that he finds the situation entirely normal?

i think the real question that piece raises is how often is Giuliani in the situation where he’s being offered an underaged girl in exchange for political favours that he finds the situation entirely normal?

Often enough that he's prepared to accuse other innocent people of paedophilia for political gain. The republican party above all else loves to project their failures and lack of character onto others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Often enough that he's prepared to accuse other innocent people of paedophilia for political gain. The republican party above all else loves to project their failures and lack of character onto others.

yeah true. i don’t really understand why they’ve gone after Hunter for being a paedo when there’s a million pics and videos of Biden sniffing little girls’ hair. now i don’t think Biden is a paedo, just a weird creepy handsy old man, but it seems a much easier sell.

Advertisement