Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Hopefully Joe third time lucky.

Biden. His time - better late than never.
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more thomond.

The sooner Boris and trump and their band of merry men **** off into oblivion and we never hear from them or have to talk about them again the better! :D

I just look forward to clicking on the thread and not be bombarded with the same topic over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What would you like to talk about Thomond?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What would you like to talk about Thomond?

I'm bitter about being rounded on for NFL talk, I admit it! :)

It would be nice if we could veer into other topics. That's what made the thread good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

NFL?

I can't believe Mayo were relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »
    NFL?

Great day for the parish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well balls to them! Do you think Russell Wilson will beat Peyton's single season TD record (55) this season?

NFL?

This is the kind of good natured discussion I'm looking for. Not a big surprise. Mayo are in for a rebuild.

Oh and shut up, Buer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

It would be nice if we could veer into other topics. That's what made the thread good craic.

TBF if I remember correctly that was one person. The rest of us said we didn't care. :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

NFL?

Mayo? The football team that always fall at the last hurdle in the All Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

How bout the Monsters of Midway. Going alright this season. What happened at the weekend v the Saints? OT loss?

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    How bout the Monsters of Midway. Going alright this season. What happened at the weekend v the Saints? OT loss?

We're not good overall. The record flatters us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

We're not good overall. The record flatters us.

Bugger. Haven't watched any matches this season just been checking results. Was getting a bit excited about them. Is it going to be another season of of good D, average offense, mid table finish? Possibly a wild card game?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Bugger. Haven't watched any matches this season just been checking results. Was getting a bit excited about them. Is it going to be another season of of good D, average offense, mid table finish? Possibly a wild card game?

No I think they're done. They can't stop the run and the OL is broken. Foles at QB isn't great but he's a disaster without a clean pocket. The playcalling on offense is horrific and the HC is in charge of it. He needs to go.

It's actually been a good season to watch. Yesterday was probably the least exciting of all of the weeks but it had some crazy upsets at the same time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Every time I watch NFL I wonder what the sport would be like without all the pads and helmets. And what if they could only pass it backwards....

Zzippy wrote: »
    Every time I watch NFL I wonder what the sport would be like without all the pads and helmets. And what if they could only pass it backwards....

Nah, I once had nightmares of a sport just like that where the whole system was rigged for a team in blue that won everything. Better off just forgetting that idea Zzippy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Zzippy wrote: »

Can they not pass it backwards?? Saw twitter light up the other day ocer "the greatest play ever" after some lads resorted to playing rugby.

Ah, *only* pass it backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nah, I once had nightmares of a sport just like that where the whole system was rigged for a team in blue that won everything.

....so basically what the NFL has been for the past 20 years?!

Just to get this off topic thread back on topic given that it's election day....

Sorry Thomond.

I reckon this might be the best one they've done. It really showcases the absurdity in stark terms.

Could this be the most consequential 24 hours in modern history?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I stuck a punt on Biden yesterday.

Cannot reconcile the betting markets having him at 70% but the Economist has him at 96% and 538 has him at 89%.

I think people are spooked, and trying to manage their expectations. But it is pretty comfy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

errlloyd wrote: »
    I stuck a punt on Biden yesterday.

Cannot reconcile the betting markets having him at 70% but the Economist has him at 96% and 538 has him at 89%.

I think people are spooked, and trying to manage their expectations. But it is pretty comfy right now.

The Florida result should be known by the time we get up tomorrow morning. If Biden wins Florida then its over, if Trump wins it then he's probably favourite, if it's a toss up then who knows. I think Biden is going to walk it, he's had a rock solid 8-10 point lead for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

The Florida result should be known by the time we get up tomorrow morning. If Biden wins Florida then its over, if Trump wins it then he's probably favourite, if it's a toss up then who knows. I think Biden is going to walk it, he's had a rock solid 8-10 point lead for months.

I think if Biden wins Florida, the most we should call it is a good start.
    And tbh I think he needs to clearly win Florida (by 4 points or more) in order to take it out of play entirely, and that's a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

kuang1 wrote: »
    And tbh I think he needs to clearly win Florida (by 4 points or more) in order to take it out of play entirely, and that's a big ask.

I disagree with this. I can't see an election where Biden wins Florida and loses the election.

No I really don't agree. Trump needs Florida, it's too hard to see a way for him to win without it.

In any other election year what yer saying about winning Florida would be true.
    This election is in no way guaranteed to have a "fair" or democratic outcome.

In any other election year what yer saying about winning Florida would be true.
    This election is in no way guaranteed to have a "fair" or democratic outcome.

Despite all his attempts at voter suppression and the likes, they've hit 100m votes before election day and turnout is going to sail past 2016. We've seen court decisions recently e.g. the Texas supreme court and subsequent federal ruling, where every single judge involved was a Republican, going against him. I honestly think he's getting trounced. You're talking about the US ceasing to be a democracy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Does the electoral college committee (or whatever its called) in Florid have to vote in accordance with the general vote winner or can they choose not to?

Despite all his attempts at voter suppression and the likes, they've hit 100m votes before election day and turnout is going to sail past 2016. We've seen court decisions recently e.g. the Texas supreme court and subsequent federal ruling, where every single judge involved was a Republican, going against him. I honestly think he's getting trounced. You're talking about the US ceasing to be a democracy.

Yes you're right.
    I will admit I'm actively reigning in any optimism I feel lately.
    I'll believe a Biden victory when I hear Trump concede. And fcuk knows when that will be.

Stheno wrote: »
    Does the electoral college committee (or whatever its called) in Florid have to vote in accordance with the general vote winner or can they choose not to?

I think they have a pre-selected pool of GOP and Dem electors, then based on whoever wins the respective group goes and casts the electoral college votes. So you'd need Dem electors voting against Biden, if Biden does win Florida.

Prediction: Biden to win Florida by 7 points in what will be the beginning of a complete landslide.

• Advertisement

Apparently there's been huge turnout in urban areas of Texas (i.e. lean Dem) in early voting, lot of them have surpassed 2016 totals before today even. It's hard to imagine but think there's a chance of a shock in Texas.

Advertisement