Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,495 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Texas is an increasingly urban state and those cities have had a big influx of middle class suburbanites fleeing California’s tax hikes. there’s also a sizable Latino population but Biden has had massive issues turning out the Latino vote nationwide. it’s going to be very tight.

of course, Texas’ GOP is one of the most psychotic in the country and will be doing absolutely everything possible to suppress the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Texas is an increasingly urban state and those cities have had a big influx of middle class suburbanites fleeing California’s tax hikes. there’s also a sizable Latino population but Biden has had massive issues turning out the Latino vote nationwide. it’s going to be very tight.

of course, Texas’ GOP is one of the most psychotic in the country and will be doing absolutely everything possible to suppress the vote.

Why would people fleeing a tax hike vote for a candidate who'll do away with Trump's tax cuts?

The whole thing could get very messy, especially in Pennsylvania. There'll be court cases if it's close around what postal ballots should be allowed - will signatures have to match, etc.

Turnout looks like it's going to be huge.

I just don't see Trump winning new voters since 2016 so I think a lot of those new voters are going for Biden.

Going to stay up until Florida is called or 2:00am, whichever happens first.

Actually tempted to go get some beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm gonna be on the beers. But the OH is from Pennsylvania, so I have to be careful how much I sit their drinking as America falls to pieces!

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm gonna be on the beers. But the OH is from Pennsylvania, so I have to be careful how much I sit their drinking as America falls to pieces!

That's it decided so.

Why would people fleeing a tax hike vote for a candidate who'll do away with Trump's tax cuts?

cos trumps tax cuts were targeted at big business and the already rich, and not individuals. tax exemptions bands were raised so that less individuals could avail of tax exemptions.

his affordable health care alterations resulted in 13.5 million fewer individuals having health insurance, which raised the premium for those who can afford it by at least 10%

its starting already.....

Republican lawsuit alleges Pennsylvania county illegally pre-canvassed ballots

Kadhim Shubber

Republicans in Pennsylvania have filed a lawsuit in federal court asking for certain votes in Montgomery County to be thrown out.

The lawsuit claimed that Montgomery County, which is next to Philadelphia, illegally pre-canvassed ballots before November 3 and allowed some voters to fix issues with their ballots.

Pennsylvania state law prohibits processing ballots before 7am on election day, one of the reasons that it could be days or longer before it is clear who has won the battleground state.

The lawsuit was filed by Kathy Barnette, a Republican candidate for Pennsylvania’s 4th congressional district, and Clay Breece, a local Republican party official. It asked for any ballots that had been pre-canvassed and changed to be thrown out.

A spokeswoman for the Montgomery County elections board did not immediately return a request for comment.

https://www.ft.com/content/4d356b11-ad66-3127-91cd-161163f77a05

yeah be prepared for about 3 weeks of stories like that breaking every few hours. voter suppression has always been rampant in the USA, but it’s been dialed up to 11 AND people are watching for every instance of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Turnout looks like it's going to be huge.

I just don't see Trump winning new voters since 2016 so I think a lot of those new voters are going for Biden.

Going to stay up until Florida is called or 2:00am, whichever happens first.

Thats my plan tonight. Making burgers and chicken wings, she is going to drink Californian wine and I'm drinking American beer :o while we watch this to the wee small hours.

Actually I might just drink bourbon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

As slight as the time difference to Switz vs Ireland, it makes getting up early much more reasonable than staying up. Especially with the expected delayed results. So I'll get up at 6am, probably not drink anything while hopefully watching the world not fall apart.

unless it’s a crazy blowout, we’ll be unlikely to get a clear result until Friday or so.

if it’s tight at all Trump will declare victory, probably about 10 hours from now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think Florida is the bellweather here, and luckily we'll get a good indication of how it falls early, so I'm going to stay up hopefully that long. If Biden wins Florida it will be a blue landslide. If Trump wins Florida we're in for a long few days I reckon. Might get a couple of beers in...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

More likely Biden wins Montana than Trump wins the election.

Don't be fooled (yet) by low turnout by black and latino voters. The system has been so rigged against them for so long, these communities understandably prefer to see the vote go into the box with their own eyes.

If black/latino turnout is still low this evening, Biden might break into a mild sweat, but should still have enough paths to 270.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

RTE Radio having that grifter Bannon on is embarrassing.

It's soundbite after soundbite. Globalist, elite, communist, China virus. Zero substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

RTE Radio having that grifter Bannon on is embarrassing.

It's soundbite after soundbite. Globalist, elite, communist, China virus. Zero substance.

Thought you were on about Dermot for a second there and was thinking jaysus that's some pivot from grey framed windows and square shapes around the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

What are people's preferred locations to be watching this this evening?

I know personal opinion comes into it but I'd like to find an as informative and impartial live coverage as possible as I don't know the ins and outs of how the US system works very well.

Tomtom364 wrote: »

I know personal opinion comes into it but I'd like to find an as informative and impartial live coverage as possible as I don't know the ins and outs of how the US system works very well.

Currently watching The Majority Report with Sam Seder on the youtubez. He’s a lefty but while obviously being very critical of Trump he’s also a vocal critic of Biden. probably as unbiased as you’re going to get in an election as polarized as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tomtom364 wrote: »

I use an iptv and tivimate as the player. So I'll splitscreen fox and cnn. I think it's as interesting to see how people engage with the election as it is to see how they vote

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Thats my plan tonight. Making burgers and chicken wings, she is going to drink Californian wine and I'm drinking American beer :o while we watch this to the wee small hours.

Actually I might just drink bourbon.

Beers in the fridge gents, I look forward to watching the end of the world with ye !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not quite impartial, but I highly recommend The Lincoln Project Live Stream on YouTube. They're the Republican group who turned on Trump. So it will be anti Trump/Trumpism without being too annoyingly lefty.

If you want it more dull but down the line, I'd look up whether NPR or CSPAN are doing a live stream of some sorts on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Victory brewing company is from PA...

ah, The Lincoln Project. all of the vile Republican scumbaggery that gave you Trump, wrapped in a neat little Never Trump bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I just look forward to clicking on the thread and not be bombarded with the same topic over and over.

So a bit like what others experience when the NFL is on?

ah, The Lincoln Project. all of the vile Republican scumbaggery that gave you Trump, wrapped in a neat little Never Trump bow.

Kinda.

Steve Schmidt admitted that bringing Palin onto the McCain ticket was a major catalyst for Trump so there is a degree of reflection going on there.

Kinda.

Steve Schmidt admitted that bringing Palin onto the McCain ticket was a major catalyst for Trump so there is a degree of reflection going on there.

there’s no “kinda” about it. it’s packed top to bottom with Bush alumni who up until 4 years ago were diehard GOP operatives committed to inflicting some of the most vicious and cruel policies on minorities and women, both in the USA and abroad. there was no come to jesus moment, they made a bet that Trump would lose, like all Never Trump Republicans, and now they’ve found a way to monetize their lost bet. they are scum, and their rehabilitation along with Bush has been stomach turning.

but sure, there’s a dang cheeto in the White House. getting him out in order install another architect of the Iraq war while rehabilitating the image of another group of war criminals is worth it. i guess.

there’s no “kinda” about it. it’s packed top to bottom with Bush alumni who up until 4 years ago were diehard GOP operatives committed to inflicting some of the most vicious and cruel policies on minorities and women, both in the USA and abroad. there was no come to jesus moment, they made a bet that Trump would lose, like all Never Trump Republicans, and now they’ve found a way to monetize their lost bet. they are scum, and their rehabilitation along with Bush has been stomach turning.

but sure, there’s a dang cheeto in the White House. getting him out in order install another architect of the Iraq war while rehabilitating the image of another group of war criminals is worth it. i guess.

That's probably fair. I do find Schmidt a relatively reasonable commentator though - he's been very candid even since before Trump.

That's probably fair. I do find Schmidt a relatively reasonable commentator though - he's been very candid even since before Trump.

ahhhh, i remember now, he’s the grifter who swindled the Starbucks CEO out of millions of dollars in his third party run. respect for that, i suppose.

ahhhh, i remember now, he’s the grifter who swindled the Starbucks CEO out of millions of dollars in his third party run. respect for that, i suppose.

Don't know anything about that - have a handy summary to hand?

• Advertisement

Don't know anything about that - have a handy summary to hand?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/us/politics/howard-schultz-drops-out-2020.amp.html

summary there of his disastrous campaign attempt. i suppose the gritting is implied. no serious person could think Howard Schultz had any chance of making a successful bid, but a cynical person would definitely see it as an easy way to pick up some fat consulting fees.

i had also forgotten this very funny related story until i was googling there.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c6121a0e4b0eec79b254c37

Advertisement