Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stheno wrote: »
    28246970-8306539-image-a-9_1589179077425.jpg

They don't appear to have any seats blocked off like you see in other countries even

I'm not saying that picture is a good sight, but having experienced the Tube at 8am on a weekday morning that is not what I'd describe as rammed.

I'm not defending the British govt either, because there is definite confusion out there, but people have to take responsibility themselves. If you see a busy carriage try and avoid it and go for an emptier carriage, I know that's not easy on the tube as you can't move between carriages but if it means waiting a few minutes for the next train then wait.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bilston wrote: »
    I'm not saying that picture is a good sight, but having experienced the Tube at 8am on a weekday morning that is not what I'd describe as rammed.

I'm not defending the British govt either, because there is definite confusion out there, but people have to take responsibility themselves. If you see a busy carriage try and avoid it and go for an emptier carriage, I know that's not easy on the tube as you can't move between carriages but if it means waiting a few minutes for the next train then wait.

Ah I know, I've been on the tube and DLR at rush hour :eek:

Quite a bit of time was spent at the UK press conference tonight about the possibility that a vaccine will never be found. A bit of a change in tone that. It makes me wonder what they know...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Quite a bit of time was spent at the UK press conference tonight about the possibility that a vaccine will never be found. A bit of a change in tone that. It makes me wonder what they know...

I'm not sure if they actually know anything or they're just using it as a potential scapegoat to minimise the backlash for opening everything back up so soon. Along the lines of "well there possibly won't be a vaccine anyways so why delay the inevitable" sort of thing. Trump seems to be taking the same line of thought also, he said yesterday he believes it will die off on its own without a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm pretty sure they're back to herd immunity without saying it. Just slowed down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I've stopped looking too deeply into the UK covid data, I just check back with this site once a week or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jacothelad wrote: »
    http://https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52589449

Here is the gist of the info.

SNIP Unscientific BS based on anecdotal evidence and supposition SNIP

This might go some way to explaining the huge spread of the virus. It was here for over 2 months before the 'first' cases. Feck.......

No offence Jaco, but you know better than to post unscientific nonsense like this. I've heard idiots in Ireland too saying they had it in December etc.
    This thing is so contagious that if it was here in December - before we even knew about it, knew to prepare for it, or had time to prepare - the death rate would have started rising rapidly in January and the number of cases would have been in the hundreds of thousands in a matter of weeks. We are supposed to believe that it was here, gave some people a bad flu, but wasn't lethal until it popped up again 3 months later? Nonsense!

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Massive botnet pushing the hashtag #ObamaGate at the moment. Twitter shooting them down, but it's like the many-headed Hydra. Fascinating to watch. Over 3 million tweets and they get it down to just over a million and it's back up over 3 million again. It's pure nonsense of course, but it must be trying to drown out something about Trump would be my guess.
    Well I was right about one thing, it started with Trump.

It's completely bonkers stuff. All these bots and sock puppets are busily making up what #ObamaGate is and they're in a frenzy. Twitter beat it back down to just over a million tweets and it's back up heading towards two million now.

Zzippy wrote: »
    No offence Jaco, but you know better than to post unscientific nonsense like this. I've heard idiots in Ireland too saying they had it in December etc.
    This thing is so contagious that if it was here in December - before we even knew about it, knew to prepare for it, or had time to prepare - the death rate would have started rising rapidly in January and the number of cases would have been in the hundreds of thousands in a matter of weeks. We are supposed to believe that it was here, gave some people a bad flu, but wasn't lethal until it popped up again 3 months later? Nonsense!

It's entirely plausible, if the information in that article is true. The combination of symptoms, plus the direct link to Wuhan at the right time. Depending on the region's population density, a single case may not have spread too far, or spread very slowly.

The bulk of our and the UK's later spike came via travel to Northern Italy, where it was spreading like wildfire in ski resorts.

Well I was right about one thing, it started with Trump.

It's completely bonkers stuff. All these bots and sock puppets are busily making up what #ObamaGate is and they're in a frenzy. Twitter beat it back down to just over a million tweets and it's back up heading towards two million now.

It's like catching a 6 year old lying

https://twitter.com/DavidJHarrisJr/status/1259957604337541120

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,484 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

reporter: "what crime exactly are you accusing him of?"

BOM: "OBAMAGATE"

i know putting "gate" at the end of a persons name SHOULD be a crime... but i dont think it is yet in the US.....

Remember years ago when the Guardian broke the Internet about some impending football story, to be released either later that night or the next day, and it turned out it was just Inter Milan considering making a bid for Gareth Bale, and we we were all like... wtf?

I suspect Obamagate will be something similar.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,484 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if ALL the newspapers are writing about it.. then whats his issue naming it??

oh wait...

You know it's just about the only shot he has left. It's the 2020 equivalent of "lock her up" - as long as enough people believe it, there actually doesn't need to be any truth to it.

I'm pretty sure they're back to herd immunity without saying it. Just slowed down a bit.

Have to say I think that's a bit of a stretch. Other European countries have gone a lot further in loosening restrictions than the UK. Are they following the herd immunity theory?

Have to say I think that's a bit of a stretch. Other European countries have gone a lot further in loosening restrictions than the UK. Are they following the herd immunity theory?
    Without going into forensic detail, I'm pretty sure those countries were further along the curve which had not just flattened but dropped significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This obamagate thing is nuts. Trump doesn’t even have to come up with a lie any more, he just has to come up with the name for one

Neil3030 wrote: »
    You know it's just about the only shot he has left. It's the 2020 equivalent of "lock her up" - as long as enough people believe it, there actually doesn't need to be any truth to it.

I don’t see how it’s the only shot he has left... I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get in again

This obamagate thing is nuts. Trump doesn’t even have to come up with a lie any more, he just has to come up with the name for one
    It's not just the lie though. The botnets were running with this in a highly co-ordinated manner from very early on. Twitter must have eliminated millions of them, but they still kept coming back in their millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Confirmation that UK were under-reporting deaths; actual toll is now 38,000

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0512/1137926-covid19-coronavirus-uk/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's as of May 3rd as well, so it's even higher still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's absolutely criminal.

Their death rate per capita is now significantly higher than Italy, even though they knew what was coming and how to prepare.

And yet Boris seems to be getting more popular.

Democracy doesn't work any more.

I see in Wuhan they found 6 new cases so they’re planning to do 11 MILLION tests there over the next 10 days. How in the bejaysus do you even manage the logistics of doing 1.1 million tests per day in one city? Is this just propaganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,229 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No sign of it on the BBC website again.

Their main headline?
    Russia now has second highest virus cases globally

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don’t see how it’s the only shot he has left... I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get in again

Why? Obviously he will be close to winning no matter what and there is a decent chance of him getting in. Bookies seem to have him as slight favourite. But on the flipside he is setting records for unpopularity and he didn't win by that much last time - less than 100,000 votes across 3 states that have not done super well under him.

Biden is a **** candidate, but a damp towel would have a reasonable chance of taking it. I see this a lot, and it just feels like some kind of weird doom-mongering or preemptive acceptance of a **** situation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I see in Wuhan they found 6 new cases so they’re planning to do 11 MILLION tests there over the next 10 days. How in the bejaysus do you even manage the logistics of doing 1.1 million tests per day in one city? Is this just propaganda?

Who knows. Can't trust anything coming out of China.

Nor indeed out of the UK, but there are degrees to this kind of thing!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Why? Obviously he will be close to winning no matter what and there is a decent chance of him getting in. Bookies seem to have him as slight favourite. But on the flipside he is setting records for unpopularity and he didn't win by that much last time - less than 100,000 votes across 3 states that have not done super well under him.

Biden is a **** candidate, but a damp towel would have a reasonable chance of taking it. I see this a lot, and it just feels like some kind of weird doom-mongering or preemptive acceptance of a **** situation.

Has Biden announced who his VP would be yet?

Stheno wrote: »
    Has Biden announced who his VP would be yet?
    That's going to be a crucial decision for him. Lots of good options, but a few duds too.

• Advertisement

They managed to build a hospital in less time iirc. If you've got the numbers (and in China, that's the one thing they absolutely have) anything is possible.

Advertisement