Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Wisconsin looks as good as sealed, they were waiting for some county to come in and it hasn't swung back for Trump.

Gap in MI is closing every time it refreshes with lots of urban votes left to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Wisconsin looks as good as sealed, they were waiting for some county to come in and it hasn't swung back for Trump.

Gap in MI is closing every time it refreshes with lots of urban votes left to go.

Michigan literally seperated by a couple thousand votes at the moment... with just mail in ballots to be counted that should be toast for Trump there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

kuang1 wrote: »
    No matter what the final outcome this has been an embarrassment for the Dems.

Just looking at Florida alone: with almost all of the votes counted, Trump is up by 3.4%.
    That's absolutely huge for him in that state. He only beat Hilary by 2% 4 years ago there.

When you consider the age demographic in Florida along with the impact of covid, how the Democrats couldn't manufacture a win out of that is mind boggling.
    They're saying it's the latino vote that stuck with trump there, but it's not like they didn't know this in advance.

They didn't. The Latino community there voted heavily in favour of Clinton last time out. I'm not sure anyone saw their support of Trump coming. Not even Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

what site are you watching for the results?

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nevada, Arizona, Maine, Michigan and Wisconsin will all ultimately fall for Biden, which renders PA irrelevant.

But I think he'll pick up PA too, if the mail in vote continues to follow the same trend he will anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    what site are you watching for the results?

Here: https://results.decisiondeskhq.com/

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Biden currently 1/4 in the betting after being 2/1 at 7am

looks like trump was right to be terrified of the mail in votes....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭kuang1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Biden currently 1/4 in the betting after being 2/1 at 7am

Biden got to 3/1 around the 3.00am mark (our time)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jesus the revenge of thomond will be savage :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OldRio

Right wing populism is on the rise because of the view that the move to more extreme liberal politics needs to be halted and investigated more.
    Thats all im saying.

Sorry I don't agree with that assumption at all. Its far more nuanced than that. Anyway I'll leave it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

is there some kind of semi-enlightenment in the state?

FFS, I see those turnips have elected some QAnon gimp to congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Big momentum shift but it's going to be something of a hollow victory in reality if the Dems lose both houses. If Biden wins but has no support from the Senate or the HoR, he's going to be a relatively impotent president.

OldRio wrote: »
    Right wing populism is on the rise because of the view that the move to more extreme liberal politics needs to be halted and investigated more.
    Thats all im saying.

Sorry I don't agree with that assumption at all. Its far more nuanced than that. Anyway I'll leave it.

any i dont agree with you either ;)

Its populism, its actually not very 'nuanced' at all... in fact its the antithesis of nuanced. Liberal politics is nuanced.

this article from a very left leaning newssite says it best:
    Like the triumph of Brexit in the UK, the election of Trump was an angry verdict on decades of rising inequality and a version of globalisation that benefits those at the top but leaves ordinary people feeling disempowered. It was also a rebuke for a technocratic approach to politics that is tone deaf to the resentments of people who feel the economy and the culture have left them behind.

Some denounce the upsurge of populism as little more than a racist, xenophobic reaction against immigrants and multiculturalism. Others see it mainly in economic terms, as a protest against the job losses brought about by global trade and new technologies.

But it is a mistake to see only the bigotry in populist protest, or to view it exclusively as an economic complaint. To do so misses the fact that the upheavals we are witnessing are a political response to a political failure of historic proportions.

The right-wing populism ascendant today is a symptom of the failure of progressive politics.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2018/05/right-wing-populism-rising-progressive-politics-fails-it-too-late-save-democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OldRio

sydthebeat wrote: »
    any i dont agree with you either ;)

Its populism, its actually not very 'nuanced' at all... in fact its the antithesis of nuanced. Liberal politics is nuanced.

this article from a very left leaning newssite says it best:

https://www.newstatesman.com/2018/05/right-wing-populism-rising-progressive-politics-fails-it-too-late-save-democracy

Like I said I'll leave it.

OldRio wrote: »
    Like I said I'll leave it.

fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Big momentum shift but it's going to be something of a hollow victory in reality if the Dems lose both houses. If Biden wins but has no support from the Senate or the HoR, he's going to be a relatively impotent president.

Is there a real chance he could lose the HoR?

They won’t have the senate, but at the very least you’d think he might be able to appeal across the aisle of the senate a bit more than Trump was able to, given his time there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has Michigan gone blue?

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stheno wrote: »
    Has Michigan gone blue?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Has Michigan gone blue?

Looks to be that way. Only 1137 votes ahead with 89% counted, but again most of them remaining are mail-ins which really seem to be killing off Trump. Despite his best attempts to bring a halt to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »

Congress is all but assured, they've lost a few seats but they should retain control.

Narrowly going to lose the senate by the look of it, it was always an uphill battle for them. And it will effectively neuter the presidency which is bad news for democrats.

Wisconsin was due to be announced ages ago but was looking like a narrow Biden win. Michigan probably wont be too close when all is counted.

I stopped following for a while until one of my colleagues pinged me that Michigan was gone blue:)

Starting to swing around now, ahead 12k in Michigan, and ahead in Nevada, Wisconsin and Arizona.

Could end up that Pennsylvania won't be needed. But would have to think it'd be one they want to get just out of principle to try and recover from this shambles.

Starting to swing around now, ahead 12k in Michigan, and ahead in Nevada, Wisconsin and Arizona.

Could end up that Pennsylvania won't be needed. But would have to think it'd be one they want to get just out of principle to try and recover from this shambles.

How many electoral college votes would that give them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Is there a real chance he could lose the HoR?

They won’t have the senate, but at the very least you’d think he might be able to appeal across the aisle of the senate a bit more than Trump was able to, given his time there

It's probably unlikely but they're looking like they'll certainly lose some of their majority there. The end game of this week is going to be slender majority for GOP in the Senate, slender majority for the Dems in the House and legal wrangle for the presidency with Biden having been declared the winner but open to challenge from Trump.

How many electoral college votes would that give them?

Would get 16 from Michigan, 11 from Arizona, 10 from Wisconsin, 6 from Nevada. Needs 32 to get to the 270.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Trump is awake and tweeting*, this is when it gets fun :)

*Some of his tweets have already been labeled misleading by Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

It looks like the Dems are starting to rally in the race for the senate now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why does the Washington Post have lower numbers for Biden (224-213) than the Guardian does (238-213)?

Advertisement