Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Biden actually did have policy positions but there was absolutely no discussion of them that I saw until I went specifically looking for them wondering the same thing.

But he does have a website!

He has reasonably detailed policies and they are fairly good all things considered.

But this election has never been about policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Biden actually did have policy positions but there was absolutely no discussion of them that I saw until I went specifically looking for them wondering the same thing.

But he does have a website!

Am I right in thinking Biden wants to sign up to the Paris Accord again?

If so that's good enough for me.

bilston wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking Biden wants to sign up to the Paris Accord again?

If so that's good enough for me.

Yes. This is why several scientific journals broke with history to endorse him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bazzo wrote: »
    Here we go.

Trump's team are suing in Michigan to immediately stop counting and review votes.

And pennsylvania now too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Because nothing says democracy quite like not counting cast votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

GOP don't want democracy they want power

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

trump attempting to steal the election..... why was Amy Coney Barrett rushed on the supreme court again???

ah yes......

sydthebeat wrote: »
    trump attempting to steal the election..... why was Amy Coney Barrett rushed on the supreme court again???

ah yes......

Could really kick off if the supreme court side with trump on anything

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CNN projecting Biden to win Michigan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I thought Biden hit all the right notes with his not-victory speech. With Michigan gone his way its almost done and dusted for Biden now you'd have to think. All the talk seems to be that Trumps legal actions won't be able to overturn any of the results seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Biden is 1/12 now to win. It's over.

Biden is 1/12 now to win. It's over.

Have you coped thomond?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you coped thomond?

I'm surviving. I'm looking forward to not hearing about Trump very soon. The "this latest outrage will ruin him" talk every week became beyond tiresome. It's the political version of the ROG/Sexton debate.

I somehow don't think trump is going away any time soon

Trump claiming Pennsylvania and Michigan...lol

molloyjh wrote: »
    I thought Biden hit all the right notes with his not-victory speech. With Michigan gone his way its almost done and dusted for Biden now you'd have to think. All the talk seems to be that Trumps legal actions won't be able to overturn any of the results seen so far.

The concern would be how badly some of his more devoted followers take the likely result. Its clear he is trying to whip them up into a frenzy. He evidently won't go quietly into the night.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pennsylvania looks done and dusted for Trump but Michigan has Biden up by 70k with 50,000 to count. Why don't they call that already?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Michigan isn't even looking particularly close any more(relatively).
    Pennsylvania looks done and dusted for Trump but Michigan has Biden up by 70k with 50,000 to count. Why don't they call that already?

Pennsylvania is far from done and dusted. He's getting annihilated in the mail in ballots that are coming in now. Philadelphia just reported on 23,000 votes of which nearly 20,000 went to Biden. His lead has been cut from 11% or so to 5% now and it's looking like it will be fairly close either way but with a big number of votes still to be counted Biden is in with a very good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Because he's a disgusting piece of **** of a human being?

America was doing well with employment and economically under Obama, why elect (R)Trump?

I agree fully, he’s is that and much worse. However in terms of life in America did it improve or at worst not dis-improve under Trump, probably. He delivered a lot of what his base wants, including 3 Supreme Court justices. Ireland is no different, if the economy is going well and taxes aren’t going up. The incumbent party is likely to get elected.

The simple reality is, it’s not voter manipulation. Trump is voter reflection. He represents a large portion of Americans and their beliefs. This is America, greed is good, money before morals every time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Michigan isn't even looking particularly close any more(relatively).

Pennsylvania is far from done and dusted. He's getting annihilated in the mail in ballots that are coming in now. Philadelphia just reported on 23,000 votes of which nearly 20,000 went to Biden. His lead has been cut from 11% or so to 5% now and it's looking like it will be fairly close either way but with a big number of votes still to be counted Biden is in with a very good chance.

Biden will win PA by 6 figures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They're still counting Alaska, only half way through. Anyone know anything about politics up there, why the vote republican or what takes them so long?

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They're still counting Alaska, only half way through. Anyone know anything about politics up there, why the vote republican or what takes them so long?

It's the state that elected Sarah Palin as governor.

She was the first of the lunatic fringe in the GOP to become mainstream when McCain was persuaded to put her on the ticket.

awec wrote: »
    It's the state that elected Sarah Palin as governor.

She was the first of the lunatic fringe in the GOP to become mainstream when McCain was persuaded to put her on the ticket.

God, while I wouldn't be a political fan of McCain he was fundamentally a good person but him putting Palin on the ticket really started the ****show we are now seeing.

On a practical level, the transport infrastructure in Alaska is not amazing - somewhat understandably. there are towns only accessible by air! Its a logistics issue that makes the count slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A lot of meth heads, drunks and really poor education. Also the fact that oil companies are the main employers too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

If Biden wins when does Trump stop being president? Inauguration Day?

If Biden wins but dies before sworn in, is Harris president? Or new vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bears notoriously lean Republican.

swiwi_ wrote: »

1. Inauguration day
    2. Think its a new election but the rules are weird in the States

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

swiwi_ wrote: »

Yep Inauguration Day.

On the latter, the Vice President Elect would become President Elect. There’s some legal discussion about when a winning candidate becomes “president elect” - is it when votes are made or when formally ratified etc but the legal consensus seems to be that for these purposes you become president elect when votes are cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Seems likely that Biden will win Pennsylvania and it won’t even be especially close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Pen has already been called for Trump due to “questionable” votes.

Advertisement