Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's going to be a crucial decision for him. Lots of good options, but a few duds too.

Would Cuomo be in the running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Stheno wrote: »

Personally, if I was a power broker in the Democrats, I'd ask Biden to step aside due to health reasons, and paracelute Cuomo straight in.
    He's everything that Trump isn't....a perfect choice for president imo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He said last month he wouldn't be picking Cuomo and wants a female VP, Harris and Warren are the forerunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Saw an interview with Cuomo recently where he ruled out running for president. Unfortunately.

It's absolutely criminal.

Their death rate per capita is now significantly higher than Italy, even though they knew what was coming and how to prepare.

And yet Boris seems to be getting more popular.

Democracy doesn't work any more.

New polling today actually shows a some sharp declines for the British Government.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He said last month he wouldn't be picking Cuomo and wants a female VP, Harris and Warren are the forerunners.

Dont know Harris and am vaguely aware of Warren

Think not considering Cuomo is a.mistake to be honest

And this ****ing ****e of picking a woman because they are a woman really gets on my tits

It's a pile of bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Their death rate per capita is now significantly higher than Italy, even though they knew what was coming and how to prepare.

You're certain Italy and every other country in the world aren't under reporting as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

And this ****ing ****e of picking a woman because they are a woman really gets on my tits

It's a pile of bollocks
    You need to research Kamala Harris. Former DA for SF, AG for California and all round ass kicker in the Senate. Very impressive woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You're certain Italy and every other country in the world aren't under reporting as well?

bilston wrote: »
    Well I know France have been reporting deaths in all settings for some time and separating out hospital deaths as a comparison. Spain added in care home and at home deaths a couple of weeks ago. Not sure about Italy, but that's two of the bigger countries in Europe anyway.

• Advertisement

The stats in relation to covid are in line with the increase in the overall rate of death which is tracked much more accurately.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

The spike in death and the scale of coordination to stop it just shows how genuinely deadly this virus is.

It's a pile of bollocks

I think Biden wants a woman because he wants some arm candy. The Democrats want to woman to show that Biden isn't a sexpest. Win, win!! :D

Is Harris part of that Gang of 4 that Trump hates? Not asking you specifically Stheno.

Don't know if Biden would want Warren. I'm pretty sure she made a fool of him when he was VP and she gave evidence at some sort of hearing on insurance or finance. Can't remember the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think Biden wants a woman because he wants some arm candy. The Democrats want to woman to show that Biden isn't a sexpest. Win, win!! :D

Is Harris part of that Gang of 4 that Trump hates? Not asking you specifically Stheno.

Don't know if Biden would want Warren. I'm pretty sure she made a fool of him when he was VP and she gave evidence at some sort of hearing on insurance or finance. Can't remember the details.

The two of them clashed big time over a bankruptcy bill in 2005.

Funnily enough Harris actually went at Biden pretty hard in the debates over busing for desegregation in the education system and him having work with segregationist senators. She's not one of 'the squad' though that went at him.over the racist tweets.

You need to research Kamala Harris. Former DA for SF, AG for California and all round ass kicker in the Senate. Very impressive woman.

Just read up on her there, you're right shes achieved a lot so fair enough

Yeah Rights arm candy comment made me giggle but I suspect it's a bit true in relation to the sexpest side of things

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's a pile of bollocks

It could have been done better. I can see why he did it, and it was probably well intentioned - though undoubtedly also somewhat self serving. But saying it will be a woman without any indication of whether he has candidates in mind seems to imply that he is going to start off his search without bothering to look at half (or, unfortunately, as is the case more than half) the options.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

It won't be Warren albeit she would have been on the shortlist only for being over 70. The Democrats are going to pick someone who is somewhere between 40 and 55, Pence is 60 and age / health will be a talking point of this campaign.

Kamala Harris would be a good choice albeit she has some baggage. She would play well with moderate republicans and many undecideds.

She isn't necessarily popular among Democrats but I think their seething hatred of Trump should see their turnout healthy regardless. I'm not sure if the candidate will come from the Senate however and she would be expected to hold her seat with the possibility of a majority flip in November.

They managed to build a hospital in less time iirc. If you've got the numbers (and in China, that's the one thing they absolutely have) anything is possible.

As highly impressive as that was, it wasn't a "hospital". It was a prefab emergency treatment centre, just at an incredible scale. It was also built to only really do one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Do America have a single candidate to run for presidency that is under 45?

We may have reservations about Leo, Harris and Murphy here, but give me a bit of youth and drive over someone who makes my oul lad look young.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lads, thanks very much for being so calm, logical and empathetic during this crisis.

The main Covid threads on Boards are are a no go zone. From people denying the severity of this virus, to others patting themselves on the back because they're convinced the government read their posts and are opening up the economy early because of that. As much as we deride the American right for being a bit batsh1t, our threads are just as bad.

mfceiling wrote: »

We may have reservations about Leo, Harris and Murphy here, but give me a bit of youth and drive over someone who makes my oul lad look young.

They've only had two under 45 ever. I think, given the nature of the role, late 40s to 50s is a pretty reasonable age for it. What is going on this year is bonkers.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    As highly impressive as that was, it wasn't a "hospital". It was a prefab emergency treatment centre, just at an incredible scale. It was also built to only really do one thing.
    Yeah, but the point is that the issue is purely a numbers one. You can do as many tests in a day as you want if you have enough test kits, enough people to carry them out and enough people to process them.

Wasnt that Beto chap from I think Texas who was in the Democratic race early 40s?

Hmm just googled, he is 47

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Wasnt that Beto chap from I think Texas who was in the Democratic race early 40s?

Hmm just googled, he is 47

That's what passes as young in American politics. Obama was 48 when he was elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Pete Buttigieg is 38. He started well but faded. He might be placed to challendge again in 4 or 8 years depending on how his career goes.

Clegg wrote: »
    Lads, thanks very much for being so calm, logical dland empathetic during this crisis.

The main Covid threads on Boards are are a no go zone. From people denying the severity of this virus, to others patting themselves on the back because they're convinced the government read their posts and are opening up the economy early because of that. As much as we deride the American right for being a bit batsh1t, our threads are just as bad.

Clegg did your gran get her test/result?

You're right some of the tripe on those threads is unreal

Buer wrote: »
    Pete Buttigieg is 38. He started well but faded. He might be placed to challendge again in 4 or 8 years depending on how his career goes.
    He needs more experience than being mayor of a city though. And a less unfortunate name. Probably. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't think anyone knows.

However, we have known from day one that the UK were only reporting deaths in NHS hospitals, there was always going to be big upward adjustment in the death figure and the UK government took a very deliberate stance to under-report. France started doing this also, but quickly changed.

There are more figures coming out which say that the excess mortality in the UK in the last seven weeks is 50,000.

Source: https://www.ft.com/content/40fc8904-febf-4a66-8d1c-ea3e48bbc034

I just can't understand why he's being let away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Clegg did your gran get her test/result?

You're right some of the tripe on those threads is unreal

She was tested the day after she was referred by her GP so that was a quick turn around. But we're still awaiting results. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

I don't think anyone knows.

However, we have known from day one that the UK were only reporting deaths in NHS hospitals, there was always going to be big upward adjustment in the death figure and the UK government took a very deliberate stance to under-report. France started doing this also, but quickly changed.

There are more figures coming out which say that the excess mortality in the UK in the last seven weeks is 50,000.

Source: https://www.ft.com/content/40fc8904-febf-4a66-8d1c-ea3e48bbc034

I just can't understand why he's being let away with it.

I'm fairly sure Italy have said they are unable to count the true death toll, between people who died at home and in care homes and they will do a recount for want of a better word when deaths are notified like the ONS are doing in England

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They've only had two under 45 ever. I think, given the nature of the role, late 40s to 50s is a pretty reasonable age for it. What is going on this year is bonkers.

JFK and ???

We were discussing this the other night. It is mad that guys who should probably be heading for the retirement home are running for president. I think they need to bring in a maximum age for running for office. Something like 65 or maybe 70. They also need term limits for their senate and congress.

Advertisement