Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cook it on a rack. Let the fat drip into the tray. Keep the fat for your roasties. Buy a grass fed free range goose it'll be worth it.

I used to keep them and kill them for Christmas. Not any more but that's another story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well also it’s very important than Presidents don’t get prosecuted for what they’ve done in office because that would open up a whole can of worms about Obama or the Iraq War that Biden probably wouldn’t want to touch.

not exactly refuting my point, in fairness.

seems pointless to repeat myself, and in fairness i do hope they send the **** down for a 1000 years for the horrible **** he’s done. but they probably won’t. that’s the world we live in lads.

Accepting a pardon means accepting guilt. In one fell swoop you basically admit guilt and are then pardoned for it. Nixon is, to all intents and purposes, a confirmed criminal. If he thought he wouldn't be prosecuted he shouldn't have accepted the pardon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The ham is the real star of Christmas dinner anyway. Boiled in cider the night before, then a nice honey and mustard bake on Christmas day.

Heading home on the 5th Dec for the first time since last year, isolating with my friend in a holiday home in Cork for 2 weeks then back up to Dublin for actual Christmas. Can not ****ing wait.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The ham is the real star of Christmas dinner anyway. Boiled in cider the night before, then a nice honey and mustard bake on Christmas day.

Heading home on the 5th Dec for the first time since last year, isolating with my friend in a holiday home in Cork for 2 weeks then back up to Dublin for actual Christmas. Can not ****ing wait.

Yea feck the turkey, the ham is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Given how it's likely it'll just be the two of us for dinner, I think we're going to try a beef wellington this year for Christmas Day. I've made it once before, but never for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

My brother has done the Nigella Lawson ham in Coca-Cola the last few years. Very welcome addition to proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Regular unsmoked ham in a pot with cold water. Never boiled. On the hob for 10 hours(overnight) on the lowest setting. Lid on.

Next morning drain it and remove (with a knife... Slice it off) as much fat as possible. (be careful, it'll break up very easily, and that's ok!)

Prepare your glaze while the meat cools a bit. (measurements never exact, but in descending order of quantity:) )
    Olive oil
    Honey
    Oyster sauce
    Wholegrain mustard
    English mustard
    Worcestershire sauce

( in the meantime, heat your oven to at least 220°c (fan), max 240°c.)

Stir these in a bowl (with a spoon) until they blend together.

"bathe" every piece of ham in the glaze.

Use tin foil on your baking trays to save on some wash up later.

Place the glazed ham on the foil, as spread out as possible.
    Blast for about 8 minutes, remove, turn and blast for a further 8 minutes.

Result should be a melt in the mouth ham with a crusty exterior.

Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Mark meadows (White House chief of staff) now tests positive for covid.

This is the 3rd outbreak within the Whitehouse.

Awful optics for trump.

And on top of that, 125,000 new cases in the US in one day.

One.

Day.

Absolutely crazy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Jesus Christ, they're still not close to done counting??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Bazzo wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, they're still not close to done counting??

Trump and his antics making America late again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Why is the counting taking so long? Some states have had 95% of votes counted for a couple of days now.

Is it because of legal challenges which have stopped the counting from time to time?

Its been 253 to 214 since Thursday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Stheno wrote: »
    We have goose most years you cook it similar to duck,pierce the skin reputedly to let the fat drain out

We also have turkey, ham and spiced beef

4 types of meat!!! Now that's my kind of meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

bilston wrote: »
    Why is the counting taking so long? Some states have had 95% of votes counted for a couple of days now.

Is it because of legal challenges which have stopped the counting from time to time?

Its been 253 to 214 since Thursday morning!

A lot of counties seem to be down to mostly provisional and damaged ballots which require a committee to say whether they can be counted or not. Apparently takes between 1 and 20 minutes per ballot and in some places there's several 10s of thousands of them. There's also the added thing that counting mail in ballots is very new to some states, such as Pennsylvania and given that they weren't allowed to start counting any mail-in ballots until election day it was always gone take a while. For the sake of the poll workers let's hope Biden goes outside the margins of automatic recount where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Counting before election day should be banned. No question.

But PA weren't allowed 'pre canvass' the ballots. Ie, remove them from the external envelope and verify them. That would have made things way quicker.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can the next election be by Facebook likes ?

errlloyd wrote: »
    Counting before election day should be banned. No question.

But PA weren't allowed 'pre canvass' the ballots. Ie, remove them from the external envelope and verify them. That would have made things way quicker.

Any particular reason it should be banned? Don't they already do it in several states without issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Any particular reason it should be banned? Don't they already do it in several states without issue?

I don't like the idea of actual numbers getting out before the voting has completely finished. I prefer the way it happens here.

I don't like the idea of actual numbers getting out before the voting has completely finished. I prefer the way it happens here.

Sure but I don't remember that ever actually happening? Presumably because the repercussions for whoever leaked anything would be very bad.

If it has happened and I'm wrong then fair enough.

Definitely feel like I'm more politically engaged / obsessed than most people in my social circles etc.

At GAA training this morning, basically everyone admitting to watching CNN / NBC etc pretty much all week. Sounds like I'm not the only one who was largely unproductive...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sure but I don't remember that ever actually happening? Presumably because the repercussions for whoever leaked anything would be very bad.

No idea but it's better to eliminate the possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

They've never leaked early because they've never been counted early as far as I know.

But just for clarity, counting them is 1percent of the time here. 99 percent is opening the outer envelope, comparing the signatures, clarifying they didn't cast two ballots, scanning them. All of that could easily have been done before the election and there is no reason it wasn't.

I'll take "Things they should have started doing 5 years ago" for 400 please Alex.

5EM3qQR.png

CNN have called Biden the winner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Finally

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The Associated Press, NBC all calling it now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Delighted for Biden. Don’t know a lot about him but he seems like a decent person and he’s had his share of tragedy. Hope he tries to cross the divide and stays fairly centrist.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Definitely feel like I'm more politically engaged / obsessed than most people in my social circles etc.

At GAA training this morning, basically everyone admitting to watching CNN / NBC etc pretty much all week. Sounds like I'm not the only one who was largely unproductive...

Is Ireland not in lockdown?

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Delighted for Biden. Don’t know a lot about him but he seems like a decent person and he’s had his share of tragedy. Hope he tries to cross the divide and stays fairly centrist.

He's extremely pro Ireland too and there has been plenty of information coming out of Westminster that the Johnson regime were awaiting the result before taking next steps on Brexit.

There will be no shenanigans on the border now which is good for everyone on the Island of Ireland.

Is Ireland not in lockdown?

Training in pods of 15 is going ahead. It's not as strict a lockdown at all.

5km limits, work from home and many businesses closed but schools open and sports allowed with restrictions and a fair bit of form filling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

swiwi_ wrote: »

Same here

He's a right ****show on his hands to deal with

Advertisement