Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Synode wrote: »
    I'd assume the animals will be destroyed and nothing harvested

Don’t spoil the joke by taking things seriously !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

OldRio wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are plenty of mink in our countryside.
    Viscous brutes as well.

Yes they are - ask anyone in the countryside who keeps poultry - one mink will kill off a whole flock without bother, take a drink of blood and then clear off and leave the bodies. Foxes kill poultry too, but they do it to feed themselves and their young, and will just kill what they need. I don't like to see animals culled like they are in Denmark, but mink are among my least favourite animals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

vienne86 wrote: »
    Yes they are - ask anyone in the countryside who keeps poultry - one mink will kill off a whole flock without bother, take a drink of blood and then clear off and leave the bodies. Foxes kill poultry too, but they do it to feed themselves and their young, and will just kill what they need. I don't like to see animals culled like they are in Denmark, but mink are among my least favourite animals.

I couldn't give a **** about someone's hens. The damage they do to wildlife is far greater and far more important. Ground nesting birds like curlew are becoming endangered here and it is largely due to mink. There is a pair of swans who nest every year beside my office. Most years only one or two cygnets survive because of mink. A lad in our fishing club used to trap them but gave up because some do-gooder kept breaking his traps and throwing them in the river. Not realising by saving a mink they were condemning far more native animals and birds to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OldRio

Zzippy wrote: »
    I couldn't give a **** about someone's hens. .

My ex hens and I thank you for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Buer wrote: »
    Election is called for Biden on Saturday. Pfizer announce they have an effective vaccine which has come through the final trial on the following Monday morning. Call me cynical.....

I actually wouldn't rule out some politics here at all. Pfeizer chiefs are pretty much admitting they only have around half the required data to get the effect published through peer review. Need another 70 or 80 positive Covid cases in their sample, and for the trend to continue that the majority were in the placebo. Why announce today? The Monday after Biden is declared winner? Markets jump over 5%.....

I mean, yeah it's a little tin foil hatty, but wouldn't rule it out. Not like Trumpism is the best of friends with the global scientific community!

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    My ex hens and I thank you for that.

Ha, don't get me wrong, I've killed quite a few mink in my time. I just care a lot more about the native wildlife they destroy than a few hens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OldRio

I know. I've seen what the feckers have done to wildlife as well. I can't stand the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So yeah as I was saying, those minks are terrible...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Minks get an easy pass cos they're cute, just like Ted Bundy.

The same as Orca's who in reality are massive ****, possible the biggest pricks in the Ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What are the thoughts on ferrets?

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The same as Orca's who in reality are massive ****, possible the biggest pricks in the Ocean.

Maybe the most entertaining sentence I've read on boards !

What are the thoughts on ferrets?

This is the off topic thread. You can discuss scrumhalves in the general rugby thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Fox seem to be turning on trump.

That Kayleigh one, the press secretary was cut off mid rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Kayleigh Mendacity. Sad that she'll score millions in corporate gigs after fronting for that crook for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Kayleigh Mendacity. Sad that she'll score millions in corporate gigs after fronting for that crook for a year.

Aye, Sean Spicer somehow spun his role as toady into a well liked tv personality.

Hard at this point to know what is going on there. I mean, Fox have their token moderates but cutting off the White house press secretary is new territory.

It could be that they've recognised the seriousness of undermining elections for purely populist reasons. It could be that Murdoch is washing his hands of Trump.

The wilful dishonesty of it all is hard to credit. The GOP has reached the point now where they resemble those warped synthol body builders. They look ridiculous, it's clearly fake and if you aren't careful you can end up requiring amputation. But despite all the obvious warnings people still do it and others think it actually looks good.

I was tempted to be alarmed by the firing of the administrations defence secretary and wondered what the motives were or if it was leading to something, but I think there is a complete intelligence vacuum in the white house now and all the competent people are long gone.

Just a sad two month flail and then with a bit of luck the swift hard hand of justice.

Can Biden get rid of Barr? He’s now ordered a federal investigation of voter fraud. He’s supposed to be neutral this guy but clearly in the presidents pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Can Biden get rid of Barr? He’s now ordered a federal investigation of voter fraud. He’s supposed to be neutral this guy but clearly in the presidents pocket.

I doubt he can get rid of him before he's actually president.

Let them investigate, they're going to find nothing.

Let them investigate, they're going to find nothing.

Mike Pence is taking credit for the vaccine which the US Government had absolutely no part in. The truth has long since stopped mattering and I whilst I don't think they'll be able to steal the election - I think they can create a significant exit wound for the new administration to deal with.

They'll hobble the new administration and then start screeching about the debt. There is no way out of this for America until they have a serious reckoning with how they elect into Government.

• Advertisement

Mike Pence is taking credit for the vaccine which the US Government had absolutely no part in. The truth has long since stopped mattering and I whilst I don't think they'll be able to steal the election - I think they can create a significant exit wound for the new administration to deal with.

They'll hobble the new administration and then start screeching about the debt. There is no way out of this for America until they have a serious reckoning with how they elect into Government.

They need to change the senate to non-partisan. I get all this about checks and balances but often having an opposition controlled senate whose only aim is to obstruct legislation is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

swiwi_ wrote: »

No idea if he can be removed, or how easily if so. But if what I understand of Barr is true he is a frightening human being. He believes in the absolute power of authority. People are there to do what the system and the authorities tell them. People are subservient to it all, not the other way around. He believes the President cannot act illegally because he is the President. Its the Nixon line of "well, when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal".

This is an actual quote from him which starkly shows his back to front view on how authority should work. Its in relation to communities protesting against systemic racism within the police (prior to George Floyd).

"They have to start showing more than they do. The respect and support that law enforcement deserves. And if communities don't give that support and respect, they might find themselves without the police protection they need."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Trump also set up a committee to investigate election fraud in 2016 because his ego was wounded when he lost the popular vote by a significant margin.

The republican he put in charge got the sack when he reported to trump that there was no fraud to be found, and I'd expect something similar again. Barr knows his career is dust as soon as trump is gone anyway so he's latching on and hoping for the best.

Well they found at least one incident of election fraud, but I don't think it's gonna help Trump's case...

Well they found at least one incident of election fraud, but I don't think it's gonna help Trump's case...

Fake news.

Doing a bit of reading there over lunch and some commentators are getting a bit concerned about the firing of the Defence secretary. He was the person who refused to allow Trump to use the military during the protests.

That and Barr's actions are apparently the initial steps you would take to instigate a coup as undermining the elections would be the rationale and using the military on home soil would be a necessity.

I have absolutely no belief that this would happen but it points to the direction they may be looking to at least attempt to take things and it also highlights the degree of desperation they may be in.

I also read a commentator suggesting that Trump will immediately be arrested midnight on the 19th / 20th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Doing a bit of reading there over lunch and some commentators are getting a bit concerned about the firing of the Defence secretary. He was the person who refused to allow Trump to use the military during the protests.

That and Barr's actions are apparently the initial steps you would take to instigate a coup as undermining the elections would be the rationale and using the military on home soil would be a necessity.

I have absolutely no belief that this would happen but it points to the direction they may be looking to at least attempt to take things and it also highlights the degree of desperation they may be in.

I also read a commentator suggesting that Trump will immediately be arrested midnight on the 19th / 20th January.

That all sounds very outlandish. Particularly the part about a President getting arrested. I'd be avoiding that commentator from now on if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

I really don’t think they’re going for a coup, and if they do i don’t think there’s any kind of chance of it succeeding. More likely what they’re doing is keeping the train on the tracks for one last donation grift run at the MAGA crowd before it disperses a bit.

I was interested to note that McConnell refused to speak against Trump’s election fraud claims. Seems that McConnell thinks he still needs Trump.

AG Barr is low key one of the biggest pieces of **** in the Trump orbit. His dad was a lovely man too, close personal friend of Jeffrey Epstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

molloyjh wrote: »
    No idea if he can be removed, or how easily if so. But if what I understand of Barr is true he is a frightening human being. He believes in the absolute power of authority. People are there to do what the system and the authorities tell them. People are subservient to it all, not the other way around. He believes the President cannot act illegally because he is the President. Its the Nixon line of "well, when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal".

Well if he believes so strongly that the president can do whatever he wants then day one of Bidens term he can walk up to Barr and tell him to F**k right off and Barr will happily comply :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wasn't that the exact thing that Trump supporters were claiming was happening in PA to overturn trump's lead with the mail in ballots too. It's gas the way that every accusation they try to make stick is always something they're eventually found guilty of themselves

Advertisement