Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

molloyjh wrote: »
    That all sounds very outlandish. Particularly the part about a President getting arrested. I'd be avoiding that commentator from now on if I were you.

The piece about the coup wasn't written as a likely just as a 'this would be the starting point for that'.

As for Trump being arrested - why do you think it's so outlandish given how many people around him are in prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The piece about the coup wasn't written as a likely just as a 'this would be the starting point for that'.

As for Trump being arrested - why do you think it's so outlandish given how many people around him are in prison?

Because he's the President, or more accurately will be a former President come that date. Presidents don't get arrested. Especially not on their way out the door of the White House.

I know everyone wants to believe that Trump will get what he deserves, but he's gone his entire life not getting what he deserves. There's a very real issue in American culture that grants near immunity to those at the top for a lot of behaviours that would be very severely punished for those not at the top. How many lives did he destroy before getting elected? How many sexual assaults did he commit? How much incredibly disgusting behaviour did we see from him? Yet he was voted into the highest office in the land. And after being almost solely responsible for tens of thousands of extra deaths in the last several months, over 70 million Americans backed him again.

America does not work like the rest of the world. We should already know that beyond doubt. He is too big to fail so everyone else will pay for his failings. That won't stop just because a reasonable politician squeaked past him in this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The Rep party crying foul about the ballots. They aren't shouting very loud about the other votes in their favour on the same ballots though.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Because he's the President, or more accurately will be a former President come that date. Presidents don't get arrested. Especially not on their way out the door of the White House.

I know everyone wants to believe that Trump will get what he deserves, but he's gone his entire life not getting what he deserves. There's a very real issue in American culture that grants near immunity to those at the top for a lot of behaviours that would be very severely punished for those not at the top. How many lives did he destroy before getting elected? How many sexual assaults did he commit? How much incredibly disgusting behaviour did we see from him? Yet he was voted into the highest office in the land. And after being almost solely responsible for tens of thousands of extra deaths in the last several months, over 70 million Americans backed him again.

America does not work like the rest of the world. We should already know that beyond doubt. He is too big to fail so everyone else will pay for his failings. That won't stop just because a reasonable politician squeaked past him in this election.

I appreciate what you are saying but how much had any of us heard about those crimes prior to 2016. It's one thing getting away with crimes when they aren't well established in the public domain and sex crimes are notoriously hard to prove.

Muller specifically said in his testimony that a former president could be arrested and charged with crimes committed prior or during the presidency.

I don't have any great hope of this - but there is plenty of speculation and given the conspiracy which he was a part of have already resulted in several convictions I think we're in new territory as far as Trump is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I appreciate what you are saying but how much had any of us heard about those crimes prior to 2016. It's one thing getting away with crimes when they aren't well established in the public domain and sex crimes are notoriously hard to prove.

Muller specifically said in his testimony that a former president could be arrested and charged with crimes committed prior or during the presidency.

I don't have any great hope of this - but there is plenty of speculation and given the conspiracy which he was a part of have already resulted in several convictions I think we're in new territory as far as Trump is concerned.

That something can happen, doesn't mean it will. In terms of his behaviour prior to 2016, some of it was widely known. His numerous bankruptcies, in particular that incredibly damaging one in Atlantic City, were very public. He was known as being too big to fail for quite some time. His sexual assaults were known prior to his election. He was still elected.

In some ways we are in new territory. For us. Its not new territory for him or for the American social and legal systems. He has spent his whole life doing what he wants without consequence. Not because he is particularly brilliant or incentive or smart, but because this is how America works.

At best, Deutsche Bank will go after him over his outstanding loans. Word is they will demand immediate repayment or move to seize assets. But we already know how willing Trump is to drag anything through the courts. Chances are DB will simply cut their losses and forgive the debt. If they don't he can always declare bankruptcy again and put that against future tax bills, essentially getting rewarded yet again for his financial mismanagement. I have zero faith in the American system to dispense anything like justice in cases like these.

And that's without considering the civil unrest that would be caused if he was arrested under the Democrats watch....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The minks got the reprieve.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yeah, he won't be arrested. Any civil or criminal jeopardy will be discussed through his lawyers, he may be subpoenaed to give evidence or to stand trial but he won't be arrested. His family, on the other hand...
    While he may not face charges for what he has done, and the new administration may reluctantly shield him from those, I do expect to hear a lot more revelations about what went on during his presidency and beforehand - full release of the Mueller report, for instance, finding out what was actually said on the "perfect" phone call now stored on a highly classified server, or the interpreter's notes from the meeting with Putin, also highly classified. A drip drip of information damaging to his reputation and legacy is probably the best way to reduce his appeal and influence. And if Twitter would just close his account...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yeah, he won't be arrested. Any civil or criminal jeopardy will be discussed through his lawyers, he may be subpoenaed to give evidence or to stand trial but he won't be arrested. His family, on the other hand...
    While he may not face charges for what he has done, and the new administration may reluctantly shield him from those, I do expect to hear a lot more revelations about what went on during his presidency and beforehand - full release of the Mueller report, for instance, finding out what was actually said on the "perfect" phone call now stored on a highly classified server, or the interpreter's notes from the meeting with Putin, also highly classified. A drip drip of information damaging to his reputation and legacy is probably the best way to reduce his appeal and influence. And if Twitter would just close his account...

Twitter will definitely ban him soon after he leaves office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Will any of that have any affect on his reputation though? If you've paid any attention to the media over the last 4 years his reputation should be lower than the Mariana trench but he still got 70 million votes. His supporters are rabid and will not believe anything negative about him. Even if Fox do a 180 and start reporting negatively on him there will still be a load of his supporters who start accusing them of being Fake News and will point to online "news sites" to being having the real news

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The minks got the reprieve.

This the story from Denmark? Spotted some really good news on that earlier:
    RTE.ie:
    No new human cases of the "Cluster 5" mutation have been detected since September, and they are no longer active cases, raising hopes that the strain will be swiftly eradicated.

If that has been contained, coupled with the vaccine news this week, it's easily the most positive news we've had during all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

No former President has been arrested, but no former President has had a state and city AG prepare cases on him while in office. Let's see how soon after Jan 20th the charges are filed.

Flipping 5 states, 250k margin in the swings and securing a record popular vote and 5m margin, is not 'squeaking past'.

Trump's 'base' are not the only people who voted for him. They're just the ones who get on TV.

Having said that, this entire "stolen election" charade is as much to do with Jan 5th in GA, as it is to do with Trump's ego. At least, that's the motive amongst GOP senators refusing to concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Trump will still be able to get a daily security briefing after he leave office. He'll be able to sell info to the highest bidder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

In other news Trump has announced the creation of a people’s court to deal with crimes against the state. It will be run by puppets. It’s widely expected all democrat members of congress will be summoned. Republican exit polls also show 99.9% of Californians voted for Trump. California is expected to be annexed by Texas in order to protect democracy and allow the will of the people.

I'm going to bet a euro that Trump is arrested and charged as soon as he leaves office.

Actually - make that TWO euro's.

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Trump will still be able to get a daily security briefing after he leave office. He'll be able to sell info to the highest bidder

That's a tradition, not a law.

A tradition that will stop IMMEDIATELY.

(I'm quoting someone here, can't remember who).

I'm going to bet a euro that Trump is arrested and charged as soon as he leaves office.

I'll take that bet. Donate to charity of choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

You're on Venjur. If he isn't arrested, that's €2 = CHF2.16 you owe me :pac:

Edit: yeah, charity like partyjungle says

If he is charged you've to donate 2 euro's each to the Trump defence fund

• Subscribers Posts: 41,498 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If he is charged you've to donate 2 euro's each to the Trump defence fund

oh you are diabolical !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can we crowdfund a holiday for Venjur? He needs one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This is the off topic thread. You can discuss scrumhalves in the general rugby thread ;)

He was a flanker, one of Ulster and Ireland's best!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Can we crowdfund a holiday for Venjur? He needs one.

I'll donate €2. It appears to be the in-thing here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The news on the culling of minks in Denmark probably had more of a saddening impact on me than any other Covid news recently. Millions of animals have to be put down. I feel horrible for the people/workers that have to be involved.

Millions of animals bred in captivity and caged for their entire lives, while being force fed. Before being eventually killed en-mass anyway. The futility of their lives isn’t really lessened by this end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

stephen_n wrote: »
    Millions of animals bred in captivity and caged for their entire lives, while being force fed. Before being eventually killed en-mass anyway. The futility of their lives isn’t really lessened by this end.

But enough about the US election!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There are apparently 31 court cases pending. Doubt very much he will be arrested for any of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is it really that surprising that a Republican put into the position by Trump after he sacked the last secretary of state who turned on him and called him a fúcking moron, would be under the same umbrella as the rest of the Trump camp?

Is it really that surprising that a Republican put into the position by Trump after he sacked the last secretary of state who turned on him and called him a fúcking moron, would be under the same umbrella as the rest of the Trump camp?

I still felt a slight sense of shock watching it.

Like - he's talking about a recount but still saying it will be Trump.

I've shut off Twitter and banning myself from news stations / websites until Jan 20th.

Biden is President elect. Biden will be sworn in on January 20th.

Everything the Trumpublicans do between then and now is designed to distract, annoy, strike fear or otherwise.

Don't lower yourself to even processing their petty attempts to upset your state of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The Republicans know Trump lost. In normal circumstances they would acknowledge that. But already their focus is 100% on retaining the Senate, with the Georgia runoffs on Jan 5th. They NEED to feed the outrage in order to mobilise their voters and hold on to those seats. Conceding and being nice to Biden would be like a betrayal of Trumpism to a lot of their voters. That's what this is all about. This is manufactured theatre, there is zero chance of a coup or Trump winning in the courts.

Advertisement