Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I still felt a slight sense of shock watching it.

Like - he's talking about a recount but still saying it will be Trump.

I don't think so. His comment at the start was followed by a grin.
    He then went onto say "the world should be confident that the transition necessary, to make sure that the state department is functional today, successful today, and successful with the president who's in office on January 20th, will also be successful."

I interpreted that as if he's nodding at trump at the start just coz he has to, winks (grins) at everyone else, and then follows up with what anyone in his position should say.

Venjur, I think you need to cut yourself from newsfeeds for a couple of days.
    You've lost a little perspective I fear.

kuang1 wrote: »
    I don't think so. His comment at the start was followed by a grin.
    He then went onto say "the world should be confident that the transition necessary, to make sure that the state department is functional today, successful today, and successful with the president who's in office on January 20th, will also be successful."

I interpreted that as if he's nodding at trump at the start just coz he has to, winks (grins) at everyone else, and then follows up with what anyone in his position should say.

Venjur, I think you need to cut yourself from newsfeeds for a couple of days.
    You've lost a little perspective I fear.

Ah look - I don't for a second think there is going to be a coup, the Trump family alone and some of their supporters are the only ones with that expectation. The big concern was civilian violence or unrest but if that was going to happen it would have by now. I don't think Trump will see the inside of a cell but I do think he'll have needed to insulate himself pretty well from the proven criminality that was going on around him and that has historically relied on him having some level of legal competence protecting him. I don't think he has that anymore, case in point - Four Seasons Landscaping.

I was fairly glued to the election before the result (like most people), but I'm only passively following it now more for the intrigue and speculation. I do think Pompeo's remarks are a little jarring in the context that this was someone who was the CIA Director for a year, but from his expression in the video he doesn't really believe it himself.

All that said however - the actions being taken, support from senior senators and the complete refusal of the administration to accept the result whilst clearly (as zZippy pointed out) intended to prime the GOP base for future elections, it's also opening a bit of a pandora's box that will impact the legitimacy of all future ballots. The Republican party will be looking to remove the Trumps from the political equation whilst holding onto the cult that has built up - I expect that to be fascinating.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah look - I don't for a second think there is going to be a coup, the Trump family alone and some of their supporters are the only ones with that expectation. The big concern was civilian violence or unrest but if that was going to happen it would have by now. I don't think Trump will see the inside of a cell but I do think he'll have needed to insulate himself pretty well from the proven criminality that was going on around him and that has historically relied on him having some level of legal competence protecting him. I don't think he has that anymore, case in point - Four Seasons Landscaping.

I was fairly glued to the election before the result (like most people), but I'm only passively following it now more for the intrigue and speculation. I do think Pompeo's remarks are a little jarring in the context that this was someone who was the CIA Director for a year, but from his expression in the video he doesn't really believe it himself.

All that said however - the actions being taken, support from senior senators and the complete refusal of the administration to accept the result whilst clearly (as zZippy pointed out) intended to prime the GOP base for future elections, it's also opening a bit of a pandora's box that will impact the legitimacy of all future ballots. The Republican party will be looking to remove the Trumps from the political equation whilst holding onto the cult that has built up - I expect that to be fascinating.

Like Aslan without Christy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Can we all just spare a thought for Thomond. The poor bugger was looking forward to returning the OT thread to NFL talk this week and now he is going be stuck reading about US politics for another 2 more months. At least it should be all over with in time for the AFC and NFC Championships.

I thought briefly that The Minks were an NFL team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm sorry I can only thank this once...

If you listen to nothing else today - listen to Christopher Walken attempting an Irish accent.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,498 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you listen to nothing else today - listen to Christopher Walken attempting an Irish accent.

its better than Jamie Dornans :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its better than Jamie Dornans :mad::mad::mad:

The only accent that didn't sound horrendous in that trailer was Jon Hams

• Subscribers Posts: 41,498 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the best attempt that ive heard at an irish accent in ages is Cara Delevingne's in Carnival Row

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the best attempt that ive heard at an irish accent in ages is Cara Delevingne's in Carnival Row

Daisy Edgar Jones in Normal People deserves a mention, too. She got it spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

In fairness, the Copenhagen Minks would probably beat the New York Jets.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's this Christopher Walken Irish accent thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

An attempt to coax Thomond back to this thread.

Success!

They're doing a remake of King of New York set in Leitrim.

For five years I had this sliotar up my ass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OldRio

They're doing a remake of King of New York set in Leitrim.

What's this????

This is much better

https://twitter.com/FoilArmsAndHog/status/1326453562516385792?s=20

OldRio wrote: »
    What's this????

R6LWx4o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OldRio

Come onto my land and I'll beat them with a big fecking Shhhhttttiick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

kuang1 wrote: »
    An attempt to coax Thomond back to this thread.

Success!

Only one way to coax Thomond into anything....

That's Hayes on the right BTW

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/453289289191669761?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Too f*cking high as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

My Irish accent is better than that. Which is not saying much. Emily Blunt is terrible as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Podge_irl wrote: »

Personally i think Varadkar is a useless tosser who should be out on his arse, but, i mean, he’s clearly referring primarily to Irish-Americans who would be coming from a country with millions of active cases, over 140,000 new cases yesterday alone. Planes are a transmission nightmare at the best of times.

the responsible thing to do for pretty much every country would be to shut the borders with the USA, and i’m one of the poor ****s stuck here.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Personally i think Varadkar is a useless tosser who should be out on his arse, but, i mean, he’s clearly referring primarily to Irish-Americans who would be coming from a country with millions of active cases, over 140,000 new cases yesterday alone. Planes are a transmission nightmare at the best of times.

the responsible thing to do for pretty much every country would be to shut the borders with the USA, and i’m one of the poor ****s stuck here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How is he clearly referring to Irish-Americans?

Tens of thousands of Irish people return home for Christmas from all over Europe. I've obeyed the rules and not come back during the year but I'll be damned if I'm spending Christmas in Switzerland. Also does he really think everyone doesn't already have flights booked 6 weeks out!?

I think tens of thousands of people (probably a lot more going by previous years) coming back to the country during a short period of time and mingling with relatives is a disaster waiting to happen.

It shouldn't really need to be said either, don't travel unless it's essential - Christmas isn't essential. If people can get tested before departure or isolate on arrival fair enough but I see no harm in discouraging anyone who hasn't decided yet.

There is light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccine on it's way, a post Christmas surge would mean another level 5 lockdown which means more unemployment and death.

This shouldn't be a contentious request from the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah I don't really see a problem with telling people not to travel internationally especially if they're going to expose family members to the virus considering they're likely not going to quarantine....

Unless the EU roll out mandatory tests before departure it's always going to be a big risk. Particularly when you take the environment you're travelling through into account.

• Advertisement

We’ve been planning a virtual Christmas since late spring. It’s ****ing ****e but it’s better than sitting in a Covid incubator for 10 hours and then blasting my loved ones with the resulting unpleasantries. Genuinely can’t believe that people who were taking this seriously were also expecting things to be safe for travel and gathering in the middle of winter and flu season.

Advertisement