Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Stheno wrote: »

Said it at the start. Should have claimed this virus causes infertility and erectile dysfunction. People would have taken it far more seriously then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I'm sure there's sound logic behind the pardon power, although I don't know the ins and outs of it. Probably the thinking is that it's a safeguard against political persecution by the courts or something.

Hopefully he'll pardon Snowden.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,151 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Said it at the start. Should have claimed this virus causes infertility and erectile dysfunction. People would have taken it far more seriously then!

Also:

"I'M NOT TAKING NO VACCINE, I READ ON THE INTERWEB THAT THERE'S SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS"

To be met with:

"We're also seeing a surprising side effect that the proteins in the vaccine seem to cause a strange reaction that increases penis length by 0.0000001%"

<every man immediately signs up for multiple vaccines>

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Very interesting point in the NYT today re Georgia:

tl:dr - the best scare tactic for Loeffler and Purdue would have been "with Biden elected, don't let Dems control all branches of government", but it's very hard to hammer this home while Trump is still claiming he won, and people believe it.

I'd like to think the warped logic of the republican movement in Georgia would damage their vote but I've little faith it will shake the cult loose of it's intransigence.

On a side note, I turned 40 today and have celebrated by not getting covid and playing video games with my kids along with taking in a nice hike just inside our 5km limit.

I'd love to see all my friends and family and have a bit of a shindig but I accept the reality of covid and will not be taking any risks. Not having a get together is a small loss in the face of those experiencing end of life care or those critically ill because of this virus so I'm happy to do the right thing.

But it's another nail in the coffin of any relationship I might have had with people I know who have dismissed the seriousness or reality of the pandemic. Have lost a lot of respect for a good few people I've know throughout my life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd like to think the warped logic of the republican movement in Georgia would damage their vote but I've little faith it will shake the cult loose of it's intransigence.

On a side note, I turned 40 today and have celebrated by not getting covid and playing video games with my kids along with taking in a nice hike just inside our 5km limit.

I'd love to see all my friends and family and have a bit of a shindig but I accept the reality of covid and will not be taking any risks. Not having a get together is a small loss in the face of those experiencing end of life care or those critically ill because of this virus so I'm happy to do the right thing.

But it's another nail in the coffin of any relationship I might have had with people I know who have dismissed the seriousness or reality of the pandemic. Have lost a lot of respect for a good few people I've know throughout my life.

Congratations :) and happy birthday

I must confess i thought you were a little older:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What are you talking about, he's officially ancient as of yesterday

(HB Venjur)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What are you talking about, he's officially ancient as of yesterday

(HB Venjur)

I thought he'd been ancient for longer than just yesterday :D

I must be threading a fine line as I've had one person confess they thought I was a good bit younger and now this...

Will take everything as a compliment tho... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Happy birthday Venjur! Always good to have a fellow Capricorn around. I remember how I thought my dad was soooo old when he turned 40. I’m sure the wife and kids will make a fuss of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I must be threading a fine line as I've had one person confess they thought I was a good bit younger and now this...

Will take everything as a compliment tho... ;)

Happy birthday Venjur...I'm surprised by your age as well I must admit...

I thought you went to college with Jaco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm older than Venjur!? Only by a few months but still....I'M OLDER THAN VENJUR!?

Happy birthday Venjur. Spending time with the kids may not be how either of us envisaged celebrating it, but its not a bad way to either.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm older than Venjur!? Only by a few months but still....I'M OLDER THAN VENJUR!?

I'm still struggling with this and I'm a few years older

As the great man Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson once said on Instagram:

"Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what they can't"

So for e.g., think how much better you now are at video games than your friends. :pac:

Oh and Happy Birthday!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Happy birthday Venjur! Always good to have a fellow Capricorn around. I remember how I thought my dad was soooo old when he turned 40. I’m sure the wife and kids will make a fuss of you.

My kids weren't even born when I turned 40! :o

Happy birthday Venjur! Don't drink all our whiskey now ;)

Three things.

1. Happy Birthday, Venjur.

2. Get well soon, Bazzo and WifeBazzo.

3. Am I the only one surprised Venjur is 40? I honestly thought younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I dunno, with his recent politics rants I'd been getting a bit of a Jaco vibe off him but without the humour, hope that comes at a later stage.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Three things.

1. Happy Birthday, Venjur.

2. Get well soon, Bazzo and WifeBazzo.

I had him a lot younger, but then again, I'm not far behind him and still get flashes of thinking I'm still 16, so lord knows.

Happy birthday venjur!

dregin wrote: »
    I had him a lot younger, but then again, I'm not far behind him and still get flashes of thinking I'm still 16, so lord knows.

I can fully get behind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I was thinking Venjur was about half Jaco's age.

Apologies for thinking you were 60, Venjur.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Happy birthday Venjur.

Bits of you will starting creaking, breaking, failing, snapping and stop working.

On the plus side.....nothing.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Happy birthday Venjur.

Bits of you will starting creaking, breaking, failing, snapping and stop working.

Is it not after 40 that a beer gut is acceptable?

• Administrators Posts: 53,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mfceiling wrote: »
    Happy birthday Venjur.

Bit closer to the free bus pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

CNN exit polls look ugly for the democrats.

Quelle surprise. It's Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Quelle surprise. It's Georgia.

CNN have apparently re weighted the poll so it points towards a much closer race. Early voting numbers in terms of margins turnout etc also look good for Democrats.

Needle is beginning to tilt toward the good guys

They seem to count the mail-in votes first in Georgia so there could easily be a swing towards republicans as it goes on

Dave Wasserman has called it for Warnock.

Looking good for Ossoff too. NYT now have him at 81% likely to win.

Narrative from earlier seems to be spot on: combination of a huge black turnout, disappointing GOP turnout and Venjur predicting a GOP win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

If the democrats do in fact take Georgia I expect republican senators to turn on trump. By thinking only of himself he has not only cost himself the presidency but also senate control. Biden will have 2 years to ram thru legislation before the next senate elections. Trump would go down as the loserest of losers.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Dave Wasserman has called it for Warnock.

tenor.gif

Advertisement