Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've just seen the news

Wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Stheno wrote: »
    I've just seen the news

Wtf

Any links? Is it the militia in Georgia?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    An angry uneducated mob is dispensable. They also hold no real power. Republicans with power are ditching trump. He will be left a sore sad loser with an uneducated fan base who have no real influence. He has achieved nothing for that demographic.

They are definitely dispensable. But they are armed and they are storming the capitol building

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Synode wrote: »
    Any links? Is it the militia in Georgia?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2021/jan/06/georgia-election-latest-news-senate-ossoff-warnock-democrats-republicans-trump-biden

Chaos on Capitol Hill

Guardian live blog tends to be ok

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Protestors storming the Capitol Building

• Advertisement

They are definitely dispensable. But they are armed and they are storming the capitol building

Theres talk.of locking everyone inside in the Senate room

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sydthebeat wrote: »
    fair points aloof..... and i think school closures for a short term lockdown would certainly make sense if they could guarantee that there would be no loss of school time due to it... ie if they pushed the LC out to the start of july.... i think that would be agreeable to a lot of people

theres a double whammy coming down the tracks for LC students of 2021 which i think parents and teachers needs to be mindful as well
    theres the disruption to school time cause by the march 2020 lockdown.
    theres the unknown re this lockdown and what the future holds... are they going to sit a written exam or get calculated grades

but especially, theres the extra number of students which will be looking for college places in sept 2021
    theres the high number who deferred for a year last sept
    theres the 2500 number that sat the paper test in november
    and theres this years LC students... all vying for a limited number of college places

but at the end of the day of NPHET say that its safe for teachers to teach LC students 3 days a week in specific conditions, then so be it.

That's all pretty fair, tbh syd. Just on the final point tho:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1346877445874585612

In any case, I'm off to divert my attention to the what's going on in the States at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

aloooof wrote: »
    That's all pretty fair, tbh syd. Just on the final point tho:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1346877445874585612

In any case, I'm off to divert my attention to the what's going on in the States at the moment...

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1346896852604608515?s=20

Tony Holohan has said they did not

Jeez I just switched on CNN

there's THOUSANDS of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The absolute state of this.

Now the Georgia state capitol is having issues.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Imagine a few months ago if protestors had tried to storm federal buildings.

There was rubber bullets and tear gas fired at peaceful protesters in the streets, never mind taking over federal buildings and storming past barricades.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

If these guys were black and had entered the capitol, they'd all be dead. Let's call a spade a spade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

dregin wrote: »
    If these guys were black and had entered the capitol, they'd all be dead. Let's call a spade a spade.

Am I the only one old enough to remember what "a spade" is? ...and I don't mean a shovel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I'm saying it again.

This will make a supreme Netflix drama - it has it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Don Jr is taking the moral high ground now that the crowd he, his father and their cronies have wound up have done what people warned them they would. I'm with Podge. This warrants untold levels of abuse and name calling. F*** the lot of them the f***ing megalomaniac, narcissistic, brain dead, immoral, greedy, pathetic shower of Tuesdays. There isn't a hole deep enough for them to be buried in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'm not sure if this is actually a human

https://twitter.com/InmanRoshi/status/1346914026572406787?s=19

molloyjh wrote: »
    Don Jr is taking the moral high ground now that the crowd he, his father and their cronies have wound up have done what people warned them they would. I'm with Podge. This warrants untold levels of abuse and name calling. F*** the lot of them the f***ing megalomaniac, narcissistic, brain dead, immoral, greedy, pathetic shower of Tuesdays. There isn't a hole deep enough for them to be buried in.

I was ready for this reaction just for the legislative response.

But they all own these actions too. They are inherently related to each other.

**** the absolute lot of them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,506 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Murica....

What a total basketcase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Unbelievable stuff...CNN calling it a coup. Let's be clear Trump incited this and is therefore culpable. Its a coup that isn't going to go very far, but the symbolism of it is incredible.

Biden has one hell of a job on his hands reuniting those very Disunited States of America.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

2021 off to a good start. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

awec wrote: »

Cant wait for next week's episode!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

awec wrote: »

2020+1

It is utterly bonkers how long this has gone on at this point.

Suddenly White House Down doesn't seem so out there...

This is absolutely mental.

There is a line in the Chernobyl TV series that I keep coming back to. "Every lie incurs a debt to the truth".

Those debts appear to be coming due. Not just in America either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I take a nap for an hour and wake up to find America has gone crazy.

Well, crazier.

I take a nap for an hour and wake up to find America has gone crazy.

Well, crazier.

Most crazy you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That Trump "The election was stolen, but go home" message just there was just mind bogglingly dangerous. But at this stage, not surprising.

• Advertisement

That Trump "The election was stolen, but go home" message just there was just mind bogglingly dangerous. But at this stage, not surprising.

Appalling

Good NEWS CNN calling it for Ossoff

Advertisement