Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

This is mental.

It's been said a million times the last four years but surely, surely there have to be repercussions this time

Thankfully the ****ing Muppet in charge has released a statement reassuring his cult that he loves them and the election was stolen(oh but go home) in an attempt to douse the fire with gasoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He's deflected all the attention on to Pence now, saying it's up to Pence not to certify the electoral college results so that they can take back the election as they believe they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I reckon there’s a chance the republicans will do something like declare Trump unfit and make pence president. Not sure if possible. Can’t see anyone trying to debate overturning the election result. Pence has put Biden and Harris on his Twitter header.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I reckon there’s a chance the republicans will do something like declare Trump unfit and make pence president. Not sure if possible. Can’t see anyone trying to debate overturning the election result. Pence has put Biden and Harris on his Twitter header.

No, the image is of Pence and his own wife

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

No, the image is of Pence and his own wife

Sure does a good impersonation. But at closer look you’re right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

swiwi_ wrote: »

I think there is specific legislation for this exact situation

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

sydthebeat wrote: »

I've been saying that for months. As things keep getting worse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Stheno wrote: »
    I think there is specific legislation for this exact situation
    The 25th amendment or impeachment.

25th amendment would require Pence to declare him unfit for office and then would require a bunch of others to agree with him.

Impeachment would require a majority of both houses of congress. Not really sure either are realistic.

Ilhan Omar is drawing up articles of impeachment currently but I'm not sure how they could ever find the votes in the current senate for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ilhan Omar is drawing up articles of impeachment currently but I'm not sure how they could ever find the votes in the current senate for that.

Not beyond the bounds of possibility at this stage, but agree it is very unlikely still. It has moved from impossible to unlikely though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

In other news, there's a kids show about a man with a giant penis in Denmark

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/06/john-dillermand-denmark-launches-childrens-tv-show-man-giant-penis

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1346931235176783873?s=20

They literally just let them walk on through.

Suppose it'd make for some awkward family dinners if they had to show any force.

Trump could actually pardon all these people, unless they are charged with treason

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I did a doubletake when I heard @Donie :D

Trump banned from twitter for 12 hours....

He'll blow his toupee sky high

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Trump banned from twitter for 12 hours....

He'll blow his toupee sky high

That it took this for them to finally do something, and that it's only for 12 hours, tells you everything you need to know that Twitter doesn't give a fvck about the damage done on their platform.

Zzippy wrote: »
    That it took this for them to finally do something, and that it's only for 12 hours, tells you everything you need to know that Twitter doesn't give a fvck about the damage done on their platform.

He has to retract the two tweets or he has a permanent ban :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Stheno wrote: »
    He has to retract the two tweets or he has a permanent ban :)

I would *love* to have been a fly on the wall when he was told that! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Will the government ever learn?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

OldRio wrote: »

No. Next!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

A lot of countries with this level of malfunction are newly formed democracies or countries with years of grossly underperforming economics and lacking in public infrastructure. Sometimes they are countries that had hastily drawn up constitutional structures that didn't have the checks and balances required to prevent political malfunction.

What is the USA's excuse? They're literally coming to the end of 10 or 11 years of straight economic growth. They're the wealthiest country in the world and have been for a century. They are one of the most mature democracies and have strong (possibly too strong) checks and balances within their political system. They have a relatively free media.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

OldRio wrote: »

Assuming they asked NPHET is a pretty low bar, and they didn't even meet that.

UK epidemiologist tweeted the following today, it's pretty worrying.

https://twitter.com/AdamJKucharski/status/1347128814976053249

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

errlloyd wrote: »
    A lot of countries with this level of malfunction are newly formed democracies or countries with years of grossly underperforming economics and lacking in public infrastructure. Sometimes they are countries that had hastily drawn up constitutional structures that didn't have the checks and balances required to prevent political malfunction.

What is the USA's excuse? They're literally coming to the end of 10 or 11 years of straight economic growth. They're the wealthiest country in the world and have been for a century. They are one of the most mature democracies and have strong (possibly too strong) checks and balances within their political system. They have a relatively free media.

Right now their political system relies heavily on polarisation. Focus on the other side so much you're guaranteed to vote for us. It allows a certain amount of certainty over where seats will go and who will have power and where, with only small variations in fortunes from election to election.

Add to that a terrible education system, a media that sells first and informs, well, somewhere way down the list, and a crazy obsession with personal wealth and gain. Throw in a few guns and a racial issue and you've got yourself a powder keg. What could possibly go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

have ye seen the video of the woman getting shot in the capitol buildings? what the hell possesses someone to try to get passed a barricade and get passed a man pointing a gun at you?

I dunno, there might not be consequences over this but I think a line has been crossed over the last 24 hours. Two explosive devices found and 4 people dead, one shot dead inside the capital building. Imagine someone being shot in the Dail?

It wouldn't surprise me if nothing happens to be honest, but I do think we're in new territory here. This is a terrible look for America to be projecting around the world.

it was an insurrection.... and pathetic faile done... but an insurrection none the less

these were armed terrorists, who had pipe bombs, molotov cocktails and machine guns

how they were allowed to actually walk through the barriers is beyond me.... complete lack of adequate security planning..

oh and Trump should be 25ed immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I dunno, there might not be consequences over this but I think a line has been crossed over the last 24 hours. Two explosive devices found and 4 people dead, one shot dead inside the capital building. Imagine someone being shot in the Dail?

It wouldn't surprise me if nothing happens to be honest, but I do think we're in new territory here. This is a terrible look for America to be projecting around the world.

Personal ambition doesn't care about that stuff. Do you think Ted Cruz will suddenly see the error of his ways, much less Don and his sons? And as long as they are there and allowed pedal their crap, people over there will suck it up.

Over 370,000 people have died in the US because of C19. That wasn't a wake up call. Trump still got more votes than any other previous candidate ever. If hundreds of thousands dead didn't open peoples eyes, then a few broken windows, stolen mail, a little bit of disrespect and 4 strangers deaths (3 of which were something like heart attacks from the sounds of it as opposed to direct action by authorities) aren't going to either.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Personal ambition doesn't care about that stuff. Do you think Ted Cruz will suddenly see the error of his ways, much less Don and his sons? And as long as they are there and allowed pedal their crap, people over there will suck it up.

Over 370,000 people have died in the US because of C19. That wasn't a wake up call. Trump still got more votes than any other previous candidate ever. If hundreds of thousands dead didn't open peoples eyes, then a few broken windows, stolen mail, a little bit of disrespect and 4 strangers deaths (3 of which were something like heart attacks from the sounds of it as opposed to direct action by authorities) aren't going to either.

I think people can dismiss responsibility for the virus without having to engage too much in mental gymnastics but for a culture that worships freedom and democracy and sees America as a world leader in that regards I think the attempted coup is going to be quite jarring. Some of the loudest criticisms are coming from Republicans too.

Again - I doubt there will be much by way of consequences but this does feel different to previous scandals.

I think people can dismiss responsibility for the virus without having to engage too much in mental gymnastics but for a culture that worships freedom and democracy and sees America as a world leader in that regards I think the attempted coup is going to be quite jarring. Some of the loudest criticisms are coming from Republicans too.

Again - I doubt there will be much by way of consequences but this does feel different to previous scandals.

6/10 Republican voters don’t see it as a threat and nearly half support the storming of the capital building according to an overnight YouGov poll.

So I don’t think they worship democracy so much any more

• Advertisement

I think an interesting test of their love of democracy would be to field the question: Would you support a life appointment for Donald Trump

I think you’d see considerable support for that amongst republicans

Advertisement