Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I didn't know. Are they looking to cede?

A referendum on independence passed with a 90% + majority in Catalonia a few years back but was blocked by the Spanish government

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bazzo wrote: »
    A referendum on independence passed with a 90% + majority in Catalonia a few years back but was blocked by the Spanish government

It was an unconstitutional referendum, so that’s why the result was so one sided. Same reason a Scottish independence referendum would absolutely need Westminster backing before it could legitimately go ahead. The last poll I saw the majority of people polled were against independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Saw this elsewhere... I'm a bit of a cynic. Who is making the connection between that event and his suicide. Some radio dj tweeted about it first and I thought it was a disgrace. Is Dublin live reputable

It's a complete tabloid and I shouldn't have posted a link to it. The only reason I did was nobody else was reporting the death at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It was an unconstitutional referendum, so that’s why the result was so one sided. Same reason a Scottish independence referendum would absolutely need Westminster backing before it could legitimately go ahead. The last poll I saw the majority of people polled were against independence.

Yeah that's correct, I couldn't remember the details exactly.. I'm pretty sure it's quite close though, I was in Barcelona in late 2016 and I remember at the time the opinion polls were showing support for independence leading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

538816.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ransacking a Capitol building, I'm getting Empire Earth flashbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

3 cases of the South African variant detected here in Ireland. (Presumably, Munster are considering signing them)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

errlloyd wrote: »
    3 cases of the South African variant detected here in Ireland. (Presumably, Munster are considering signing them)

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just thinking about the covid. Would it be wrong to postpone all pro sports? Wouldn't player safety be the 1st priority?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just thinking about the covid. Would it be wrong to postpone all pro sports? Wouldn't player safety be the 1st priority?

Pro sports would cease to exist.
    The teams also are paying for their own testing regime so aren't a burden on the public system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Looks like Donald Trump's twitter is suspended again
    Actually... looks like a permanent suspension

I’d say they’re keeping it going on the basis it’s a relatively easy area to keep a closed bubble and it provides a good outlet and entertainment for everyone else locked at home

I mean I made so many friends from Ulster this week and I never even left my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The 1st lockdown without sport was the worst. Hopefully they don't cancel everything.

Looks like Donald Trump's twitter is suspended again
    Actually... looks like a permanent suspension

He's now gotten 4 other people suspended trying to tweet from their accounts.

Hilarious.

There is no existing legal mechanism or precedent for Catalan to secede from Spain.

The 2014 referendum provides an existing mechanism and precedent which makes Scotland's situation significantly different. There is division amongst constitutional lawyers as to whether Scotland could assert a legal right to hold a referendum through the courts but I suspect this is the initial route they will go if Westminster outright rejects whatever mandate emerges from the May elections.

He's now gotten 4 other people suspended trying to tweet from their accounts.

Hilarious.

If he was in any way a good business man, he would have set up his own twitter years ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

If he was in any way a good business man, he would have set up his own twitter years ago.

If parler doesn't work out, I'll be surprised if they don't just throw up a mastodon (https://joinmastodon.org/) instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

dregin wrote: »
    If parler doesn't work out, I'll be surprised if they don't just throw up a mastodon (https://joinmastodon.org/) instance.

Wasn't the mastadon already arrested in Arizona?

There is no existing legal mechanism or precedent for Catalan to secede from Spain.

The 2014 referendum provides an existing mechanism and precedent which makes Scotland's situation significantly different. There is division amongst constitutional lawyers as to whether Scotland could assert a legal right to hold a referendum through the courts but I suspect this is the initial route they will go if Westminster outright rejects whatever mandate emerges from the May elections.

Scotland’s situation is different in many ways, but unless Westminster supports a referendum it’s fairly worthless as a mandate, and in that regard it’s similar

538991.jpg

• Advertisement

ZoOuaXb_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Looks like the Moderna vaccine will be available to my work soon. I suppose I should get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Looks like the Moderna vaccine will be available to my work soon. I suppose I should get it!

If it was being offered by my work I’d be taking it tomorrow.

Lovely. Hit him right square in the golf.

https://twitter.com/angry__saint/status/1348350058861797376?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

All these brave companies coming out a week or two before Trump's losing of the presidency and banning/punishing him and his. So unique and brave of them to do it so late in the day.

They wouldn't have said boo six months ago, even though if they give half the ****s they claim to, they'd have done it a few years back. Easy to stick the boot in now.

Yes, I know it's just the way things are.

The Demecratic house whip is suggesting they bring impeachment proceedings to the Senate later this year. That’s an interesting idea, would mean a democratic senate would be able to vote to impeach Trump without his presence in the White House which maybe means they can convince a few extra republicans to vote with them. Still a very difficult task to get the votes they need.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There's talk of removing the "seditious six" through the 14th amendment now, presumably through section 3

That would be delicious and a stark warning against any future similar actions

All these brave companies coming out a week or two before Trump's losing of the presidency and banning/punishing him and his. So unique and brave of them to do it so late in the day.

They wouldn't have said boo six months ago, even though if they give half the ****s they claim to, they'd have done it a few years back. Easy to stick the boot in now.

Yes, I know it's just the way things are.

Yeah it's hard not to by cynical about it all. Chicken and egg - we're they waiting for him to be out of office, or was this simply something sufficiently egregious to take action against him? I find the cries of censorship hilarious against a man with his own press room.

Lot of talk that big tech is concerned the incoming administration will regulate them more heavily and they are getting out in front of it. Awful lot of condemnation of Fox news too, in particular their more extreme commentators.

I don't think much will come from it, the money will still flow from private interests into the Republican party and Fox news is showing no signs of tempering it's nonsense as the antifa meme above perfectly illustrates.
    The Demecratic house whip is suggesting they bring impeachment proceedings to the Senate later this year. That’s an interesting idea, would mean a democratic senate would be able to vote to impeach Trump without his presence in the White House which maybe means they can convince a few extra republicans to vote with them. Still a very difficult task to get the votes they need.

It makes life easier for Biden who will want to get his cabinet approved as quickly as possible. The general sentiment is that people across the country and particularly in red states need to feel things improve immediately under Biden. The best way to damage Trumpism is a swift improvement in the economy and an improved management of covid.

There is also a self interest in it for them if Trump does a number on the GOP like it's beginning to look like he will (the death threats against Pence are weapons grade hysterical crazy).

On the flipside there is now a much clearer threat from his supporters. Appears that both the military and law enforcement were well represented by the rioters which is a terrible look.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    There's talk of removing the "seditious six" through the 14th amendment now, presumably through section 3

That would be delicious and a stark warning against any future similar actions

Yeah I don't think Ted Cruz has many friends on the hill and Hawley given his relative novice status would be an easy fall guy. Both are tainted now you would feel and the condemnation isn't receding. Had there just been riots it would be one thing, but the death threats against Pence and the death of the police officer (who apparently was a Trump supporter) is going to force a response.

You would wonder what is keeping Pence from ousting Trump, given his wife and child had to go into a secret secure location with him with a noose sitting outside the building with his name on it.

I just hope something actually happens and partisan lines are broken for once. If not, whatever little credit the US has will be well and truly gone.

• Advertisement

Think it's a pity the dems tried their stupid impeachment attempt about ukraine, which never ever had cross-party support, was doomed to fail, and looked like a political manoeuvre.

Here they should really emphasise that it's anti-trump and not anti-republican.

Advertisement