Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yep. If Gandalf had been even half awake at the beginning he'd simply have got Gwaihir the Wind Lord to fly the ring to Mount Doom and drop it in. Job done.

It was supposed to be a secret mission. Flying a bunch of eagles to Mordor would be a bit obvious. ;)

Also - the reason it was left to the hobbits to carry the ring is because they were somewhat immune to it's power. There is no reason to believe sentient Eagles would be able to resist the ring and in all likelihood Gwaihir would have claimed it for himself and become the new dark lord...

Now there is an argument that the eagles could have just flown the hobbits to Mount Doom but there are problems with that plan also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

GOT does hit a bit of a lull around season 4. But it returns to form for a few seasons after that. Parts of season 6 are amazing. Battle of the Bastards is incredible for example.

The last 2 seasons have serious issues, but also seriously good moments too. And feck it, if you've made it that far you might as well see how it ends. Its all quite rushed in those seasons, but it doesn't get insulting until the last episode. Master of Coin. As someone on the auld YouTube says, f*** off show.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

GOT season 8 was like Ireland NZ 2013. Called off. Never happened.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

GOT season 8 was like Ireland NZ 2013. Called off. Never happened.

Thank you.

Funnily enough, I enjoyed both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well mfceiling to throw in my tuppence worth, loved GOT. (Sure final season could have been done very differently but a good watch regardless of that.)

But breaking bad was average at best. Probably the most over hyped show of my viewing life.
    The slowness of season 1 DOES NOT CHANGE!! Sure there are highlight episodes but these are the exceptions. I watched it to the end...stubborn that way. Will never revisit it.
    Whereas I've done GOT from start to finish twice.

I also watched all seasons of Better call Saul. Found it worse than breaking bad. They have a final season of that due out this year. I won't watch it.

Both breaking bad and better call Saul struck me as shows that made people feel cool or modern if they claimed they liked them.
    Similar to the way the Oscar's have gone at times in the last few years.

I mean best movie for Birdman, The shape of Water? Pffft.

Sopranos, GOT, Hunters, first 4 seasons of Suits, Billions among some of my favourites.

See no evil, hear no evil one of the funniest movies ever made.
    Beautiful mind, Prisoners, Fury are in my top movies of all time list.

Started watching the Man in the High castle.

It's ok, the intro music grinds my gears and whilst I accept the premise of the show it's the actions of some of the characters that are wildly unrealistic.

Watched the first season of Kingdom (Korean zombie show) and it's pretty good. Better than the walking dead anyway.

Season 5 of The Expanse started really well but went a bit flat for a few episodes. Last two episodes were good though and looking forward to the final season (seems to be some expectation that there will be movies to follow).

Wandavision isn't bad. First two episodes a bit of a chore but episode 4 started tying things together and whilst it's a bit of a random premise it's growing on me.

Have been suffering through The Stand remake. At times it's excellent but they've gotten an awful lot wrong and it seems very unpopular with fans of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have been suffering through The Stand remake. At times it's excellent but they've gotten an awful lot wrong and it seems very unpopular with fans of the book.

That's disappointing. Might just give it a miss so. Or might even just read the book again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'm quite enjoying Lupin on Netflix, Omar Sy is very good as the lead, French subtitles, but well worth a look imo

'Lupin' is excellent. I'm really enjoying it. 'To the lake' on Netflix is good. Russian series, quite relevant to the times we live in.

Not sure how season 1 of Breaking Bad is slow. It opens with Walter racing through the desert in his underwear, two dead/unconscious people in the RV with guns, Walter makes some kind of last words on video with the police on there way while he points a gun towards the sirens. You're wondering what the **** happened up until this point and it actually gets there by the end of the first episode.

• Advertisement

Oh and if you like War movies, Midway is just gorgeous. Deserves to be seen on a huge TV to do justice to the stunning visuals of some scenes.

Does have a couple of "American masturbation" moments which are very cringy, but that aside, very enjoyable.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Oh and if you like War movies, Midway is just gorgeous. Deserves to be seen on a huge TV to do justice to the stunning visuals of some scenes.

Does have a couple of "American masturbation" moments which are very cringy, but that aside, very enjoyable.

Watched it and honestly felt more like I was watching a propaganda movie than a world war 2 movie.

15:17 to Paris is another one that feels like an anti intellectual recruitment movie for the US military, directed by Clint Eastwood mind.

Watched it and honestly felt more like I was watching a propaganda movie than a world war 2 movie.

15:17 to Paris is another one that feels like an anti intellectual recruitment movie for the US military, directed by Clint Eastwood mind.

Think you and I need to draw a line through each other's recommendations :)

Haven't watched that Paris movie coz I got exactly that vibe from the trailers.

Midway factually accurate, and I'm not against that popcorn, rooting-for-the-good-guys feel to any movie.
    In fairness to Roland Emmerich, thought he portrayed the Japanese quite fairly/sensitively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It was supposed to be a secret mission. Flying a bunch of eagles to Mordor would be a bit obvious. ;)

Just one flying at night...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Also - the reason it was left to the hobbits to carry the ring is because they were somewhat immune to it's power. There is no reason to believe sentient Eagles would be able to resist the ring and in all likelihood Gwaihir would have claimed it for himself and become the new dark lord...

Now there is an argument that the eagles could have just flown the hobbits to Mount Doom but there are problems with that plan also.

Hobbits are just stupid. If I had that ring I'd be the new, noble, beneficent, kindly 'Light Lord.'..but I'd still drown the current Tories in a huge vat of rat urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

is war movies or TV series are your thing, Band of Brothers is a must watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    is war movies or TV series are your thing, Band of Brothers is a much watch.

I have the new remastered bluray of Come and See to re-watch.

Need to properly gird my loins to watch it, but really excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

is war movies or TV series are your thing, Band of Brothers is a much watch.

I watched all BoB when it came out...outside of Ross from Friends and the NKOTB Whalberg being in it..I can't remember a thing about it

I watched all BoB when it came out...outside of Ross from Friends and the NKOTB Whalberg being in it..I can't remember a thing about it

sounds like a good reason to watch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That's a shame, because it's a superb piece of work.
    jacothelad wrote: »
    Yep. If Gandalf had been even half awake at the beginning he'd simply have got Gwaihir the Wind Lord to fly the ring to Mount Doom and drop it in. Job done.

If you want a total nerd out response to this, and fancy a bit of a read, here's a decent bit of speculation to the Eagles question and I think written before the films released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Its fantastic series and a decent read too. I have it on blue ray and break it out every year or 2 for a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

IIRC, he runs around northern France yelling "PIVOT!" at Germans. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Anyone ever watch NYPD Blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Anyone ever watch NYPD Blue?

I watched it when it originally aired on Channel 4 if I remember correctly. A great series.

'Remember let's be careful out there*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

is war movies or TV series are your thing, Band of Brothers is a must watch.

FYP

Some of the best ever television.

Actually well overdue a rewatch. It's been a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Its fantastic series and a decent read too. I have it on blue ray and break it out every year or 2 for a watch.

I rewatch it once every year or so. Love The Pacific as well. Its not as good as BoB but it is still excellent. I remember reading somewhere that Hanks and Speilberg were going to do another series like those 2 based around a bomber squadron. Hope that happens.

FYP

Some of the best ever television.

Actually well overdue a rewatch. It's been a few years

agreed on both counts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone watched How to Sell Drugs Online Fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

No, if it's a backer you're looking for I'll put 50% of the money in for 30% of the profits....
    this week's edition of...
    "Druggies Den"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yeah I watched the first series and enjoyed it. We went to watch the second series but weren't in the right frame of mind so we put it off.

Advertisement