Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Has anyone watched How to Sell Drugs Online Fast?

Yeah I thought it was a decent watch. Few moments that are a bit meh, but overall was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I rewatch it once every year or so. Love The Pacific as well. Its not as good as BoB but it is still excellent. I remember reading somewhere that Hanks and Speilberg were going to do another series like those 2 based around a bomber squadron. Hope that happens.

That would be great. They work well together. I only watched Saving Private Ryan last week again for the 1000th time and it's still great.
    I thought Catch 22 was a decent watch if ya haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I have the new remastered bluray of Come and See to re-watch.

Need to properly gird my loins to watch it, but really excited.

It’s a bit off the beaten track but the 2017 Finnish WW2 film the Unknown Soldier is pretty good. Took me a while to find it but it was worth it. Come and See is good though. I also really liked Enemy at the Gates but I tend to be out on my own with that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

What's The Unknown Soldier like? I

I've heard a mixture of things about The Painted Bird, which is seemingly a bit like CaS - powerful / gratuitous / pretentious / amazing. Not sure if I like the sound of it or whether it just sounds like miserabilist wankery. Although CaS isn't a barrel of laughs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The German government won't let Liverpool into the country to play Leipzig in the Champions League....
    this may, or may not have anything to do with covid

• Advertisement

What's The Unknown Soldier like? I

It follows a Finnish machine gun unit in their war against the Russians on home soil. It's a good mix of drama and action, and doesn't fall into the american trap of sentimentality, happy endings, and go america go. It was also a part of WWII I didn't know a lot about. I'd be keen to watch it again TBH, from memory it was about 2.5 hrs long but didn't drag at all.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    It follows a Finnish machine gun unit in their war against the Russians on home soil. It's a good mix of drama and action, and doesn't fall into the american trap of sentimentality, happy endings, and go america go. It was also a part of WWII I didn't know a lot about. I'd be keen to watch it again TBH, from memory it was about 2.5 hrs long but didn't drag at all.

Will keep my eyes peeled

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

OldRio wrote: »
    I watched it when it originally aired on Channel 4 if I remember correctly. A great series.

'Remember let's be careful out there*

That was Hill Street Blues.

Created by the same guy though, Steven Bochco.

Don't forget the greatest of them all... Cop Rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    That would be great. They work well together. I only watched Saving Private Ryan last week again for the 1000th time and it's still great.
    I thought Catch 22 was a decent watch if ya haven't seen it.

Just done a bit of research on it. The series is titled the Mighty Eighth and is based on the Donald Miller book, Masters of the Air . Apparently filming starts next month.

I will have to check out Catch 22. Loved the book and it looks like a good cast. Do you know if it is on Sky, Netflix or Prime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Just done a bit of research on it. The series is titled the Mighty Eighth and is based on the Donald Miller book, Masters of the Air . Apparently filming starts next month.

I will have to check out Catch 22. Loved the book and it looks like a good cast. Do you know if it is on Sky, Netflix or Prime?

Excellent stuff I'll keep an eye out for it.
    As far as I remember it was on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Neil3030 wrote: »
    That was Hill Street Blues.

Created by the same guy though, Steven Bochco.

FFS. This ageing things a bollox. Although the alternative is not great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

City on a hill is pretty good. Some of ye may like it. I never really liked the Sopranos. It's been done to death with Dinero and Pacino. All mob shows/movies are the same, imo. There is a show I really enjoyed" hell on wheels". Colm Meaner is fantastic in it.

Lads, Captain von Trapp.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Lads, Captain von Trapp.

Both he and Hal Holbrook in the same week... wonderful character actors,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Just finished The Expanse, great stuff. Think I'll go back to listening to the books again to tide me over. The last I listened to was to where this season ended, or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

OldRio wrote: »
    FFS. This ageing things a bollox. Although the alternative is not great

Hill Street Blues is a really forgotten about show. Was great late night repeat show on Network 2 back in the 90s. Still holds a couple of records for Emmy Awards, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Buer wrote: »
    Hill Street Blues is a really forgotten about show. Was great late night repeat show on Network 2 back in the 90s. Still holds a couple of records for Emmy Awards, I believe.

Theme tune was also iconic:

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Let's go Superb Owl !!!

Am I correct that irishbucsfan’s team won?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This team that has never won anything signs a 43 year old and wins the tournament?

Sexton must be looking forward to WC 2027

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This team that has never won anything signs a 43 year old and wins the tournament?

Sexton must be looking forward to WC 2027

To be fair, they did win in 2003. Which is why I started supporting them in 2004, thinking "oh goody here's a good team I can jump on the bandwagon and follow them to glory"

And 16 or so years later, its paid off BIG TIME

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Didn't have any horse in the race but regardless, stayed up to watch the full game.

Fully regret it this morning.
    Such a disappointing game for a neutral. Impressive outing for Brady & Co obviously which has an entertainment factor but its limited. Wanted some drama somewhere.

Apologies to any 'Rock lads, but this deserves wider recognition.

https://twitter.com/simodoho/status/1358522520949772290?s=20

Those south side Os. Even to a kiwi who has a pretty dodgy accent, it’s school not skewl.

Seems as if Gina Carano has finally fcked her career... social media post about republicans today are like Jews in the Holocaust... that a the straw that broke the camels back as far as Disney are concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Seems as if Gina Carano has finally fcked her career... social media post about republicans today are like Jews in the Holocaust... that a the straw that broke the camels back as far as Disney are concerned

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yer wan from The Mandalorian

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

.ak wrote: »
    Yer wan from The Mandalorian
    Used to be a MMA fighter iirc.

• Advertisement

That's surprising. Saw an interview with the cast of the Mandalorian and she came across pleasant enough - seemed to like the role too.

From briefly reading about it there it appears she had been picking random fights on twitter and wading deep enough into conspiracy theories and this was final straw territory.

Unfortunate as she wasn't a conventional actor and her physique in a leading action role was a positive departure from the norm.

Twitter really is an awful platform.

Advertisement