Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Zzippy wrote: »
    Who?

the butch one out of deadpool

the butch one out of mandalorian

the butch one out of Fast and Furious 6

Unfortunate as she wasn't a conventional actor and her physique in a leading action role was a positive departure from the norm.

??

Bridgette Nielsen has been playing that role since the mid 80s, i wouldn't exactly call what Gina was doing as a 'departure from the norm'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

sydthebeat wrote: »

??

Bridgette Nielsen has been playing that role since the mid 80s, i wouldn't exactly call what Gina was doing as a 'departure from the norm'

In an industry obsessed with body image this is definitely not the norm for a leading female action role:

Ejlx6kAWAAA_iku.jpg

Bridgette Nielsen started out life as a model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My god Virgin Media must be right up there with the most incompetent companies to have ever graced this planet.

Wife is in the phone almost 30 minutes now because our WiFi is down.

The customer advisor doesn't believe that we have a virgin modem..... except for the fact that we've a modem with virgin stamped on it in red letters beside the TV.

"You only have TV with us"

Eh considering we're sitting in front of a sky box I don't know how that is possible.

They must be right up there with EIR on the useless scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Used to be a MMA fighter iirc.

Wouldn't watch MMA if it was on in my back garden!

the butch one out of mandalorian

the butch one out of Fast and Furious 6

Gotcha!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

mfceiling wrote: »
    My god Virgin Media must be right up there with the most incompetent companies to have ever graced this planet.

Wife is in the phone almost 30 minutes now because our WiFi is down.

The customer advisor doesn't believe that we have a virgin modem..... except for the fact that we've a modem with virgin stamped on it in red letters beside the TV.

"You only have TV with us"

Eh considering we're sitting in front of a sky box I don't know how that is possible.

They must be right up there with EIR on the useless scale.

This should concern you.

But they are by far, the best customer service of any telecom provider in Ireland. That doesn't mean they're good. But they're the best by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That's surprising. Saw an interview with the cast of the Mandalorian and she came across pleasant enough - seemed to like the role too.

From briefly reading about it there it appears she had been picking random fights on twitter and wading deep enough into conspiracy theories and this was final straw territory.

Unfortunate as she wasn't a conventional actor and her physique in a leading action role was a positive departure from the norm.

Twitter really is an awful platform.

She was mocking people wearing facemasks, tweeting about election fraud, and taking the piss out of the people who put their pronouns in their social media profiles, so she really just fell off the deep end into the Red sea.

Good riddens to be honest.

In an industry obsessed with body image this is definitely not the norm for a leading female action role:

yep

definitely never ever saw a butch strong female lead role before ... never ever

2331.jpg

Gina Caranos character in both deadpool and the mandalorian is a strong female lead role, but shes not in any way a trailblazer for a strong female role.

by the way Gina is also famous for being a fitness model, so she has also made a career in an image based industry

errlloyd wrote: »
    This should concern you.

But they are by far, the best customer service of any telecom provider in Ireland. That doesn't mean they're good. But they're the best by far.

Eventually got it through to them that we only have internet with them.

We used to have the horizon box and it was the greatest piece of shít to ever have been foisted on the general public.

Hopefully it will stay working because I have 2 kids in secondary school who only need the slightest excuse to stop them from doing class work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

yep

2331.jpg

Ah here, Sigourney Weaver isn't butch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Eventually got it through to them that we only have internet with them.

We used to have the horizon box and it was the greatest piece of shít to ever have been foisted on the general public.

Hopefully it will stay working because I have 2 kids in secondary school who only need the slightest excuse to stop them from doing class work.

I see they're running ads at the minute that they've a new box. You're able to talk to the remote, like the sky box. I only have them for internet at the minute too, and haven't been having any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No, she's not, but the character is definitely played in a way that wouldn't be typical for female 'action heroes' and is more along the butch lines than most - even if I wouldn't call it butch. It's one of the various reasons why it's a great character/role.

she is presented throughout the alien series as a physically strong female character, maybe go back and watch aliens and see how often she has to use her physicality

another of a similar era is Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor in Terminator.
    continually shown as a physically strong fit female lead

my point if Gina Caranos character in madalorian is not a "departure from the norm" as her type of character has been done in many instances previously....

michelle rodriguez is another who has made a career from playing that "beauty and brawn" type character. Carano is simply a stepped up version.

yep

2331.jpg

Gina Caranos character in both deadpool and the mandalorian is a strong female lead role, but shes not in any way a trailblazer for a strong female role.

by the way Gina is also famous for being a fitness model, so she has also made a career in an image based industry

Sigourney Weaver is a fantastic actor and has played some great leading roles but she has always been a slim build.

Caranos is a completely different physique. The closest I can think in terms of being reasonably high profile (also in the Mandalorian) would be Katee Sackhoff.
    No, she's not, but the character is definitely played in a way that wouldn't be typical for female 'action heroes' and is more along the butch lines than most - even if I wouldn't call it butch. It's one of the various reasons why it's a great character/role.

If boards rugby had been up and running in 1979 I'd probably have said similar about her leading role in Alien. There have been plenty of female actors in leading roles - I'm merely pointing out that Caranos is not the typical physique you tend to see for female action roles and I thought that was a good thing.

This has turned into far more of a debate that I'm interested in or have time for so will leave it at that!

If boards rugby had been up and running in 1979 I'd probably have said similar about her leading role in Alien. There have been plenty of female actors in leading roles - I'm merely pointing out that Caranos is not the typical physique you tend to see for female action roles and I thought that was a good thing.

This has turned into far more of a debate that I'm interested in or have time for so will leave it at that!

fair enough and i 100% agree that its a good thing, thats not what i was arguing.

i just dont think its that much of a new thing having seen physically strong women in movies for years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

fair enough and i 100% agree that its a good thing, thats not what i was arguing.

i just dont think its that much of a new thing having seen physically strong women in movies for years.

I think there people are approaching this from two pretty different angles. Venj isn't talking about the characters but the physique of the actor. Hollywood has a very long history of casting utterly physically implausible actors as "strong women" because they are more classically attractive. Even if the chances of them actually being able to throw someone across a room are about zero.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think there people are approaching this from two pretty different angles. Venj isn't talking about the characters but the physique of the actor. Hollywood has a very long history of casting utterly physically implausible actors as "strong women" because they are more classically attractive. Even if the chances of them actually being able to throw someone across a room are about zero.

i suppose i took venjurs saying "departure from the norm" as meaning something new.... whereas it appears he means more along the line of not the usual thing of casting a 'regular' physique woman to play a strong lead.

its not new to cast a physically strong woman to play a character who is physically strong... but its certainly not the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gina Caranos is a woeful actor anyway. Hope they drop her. There's a few bad apples acting wise in that show, which taints it a bit for me. Feels like they grabbed whoever was floating around the screening rooms and threw them in.

Speaking of poor casting, I heard they've given HBO TLOU Joel role to Pedro Pascal. Uggh, awful choice - just riding his coat tails there hoping for some good feedback. Couldn't be further from his character if they tried!

.ak wrote: »
    Gina Caranos is a woeful actor anyway. Hope they drop her. There's a few bad apples acting wise in that show, which taints it a bit for me. Feels like they grabbed whoever was floating around the screening rooms and threw them in.

Speaking of poor casting, I heard they've given HBO TLOU Joel role to Pedro Pascal. Uggh, awful choice - just riding his coat tails there hoping for some good feedback. Couldn't be further from his character if they tried!

She's a poor actor alright. She was in a movie in 2011 called Haywire and she couldn't act then, but there was probably enough on show that with good coaching and some good roles she might improve. That didn't happen and she'll struggle to pick up parts now if she's turned into a conspiracy nut. Good fight scene with Michael Fassbender set in the Burlington in that movie!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

.ak wrote: »

Que?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Que?

HBO - The TV Company

TLOU - THE LAST OF US (Popular game being made into a Tv Show)

Joel - Main character in TLOU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

aloooof wrote: »

I've never agreed so thoroughly with a cough before!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I see they're running ads at the minute that they've a new box. You're able to talk to the remote, like the sky box. I only have them for internet at the minute too, and haven't been having any issues.

It's a tivo. I have it. The difference between it and the old one is night and day. Absolutely class.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I actually liked Gina Carano in The Madalorian. I thought she suited the role and brought a good contrast between Cara and Mando. But I can have no sympathy with her over this. Some crazy stuff posted and liked over the last year caused a lot of reaction. And instead of just keeping her head down and letting it blow over she fuelled the fire. You cant star in a major TV show and drag the show (and by extension the studio) into the mud the way she has and not suffer the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

aloooof wrote: »

Jaco never told us he was an MP!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Jaco never told us he was an MP!

I assumed with his age he was a Lord

Lovely productive walk with the dog earlier.

Some very nice people decided to plaster the poles and traffic light boxes here with "anti mask" posters along with text about how vaccines are going to kill us all off. Fortunately the glue wasn't particularly strong and we have a decent selection of public bins locally as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Lovely productive walk with the dog earlier.

Some very nice people decided to plaster the poles and traffic light boxes here with "anti mask" posters along with text about how vaccines are going to kill us all off. Fortunately the glue wasn't particularly strong and we have a decent selection of public bins locally as well.

On that note, really positive news from Israel. That's a level of efficacy we could only dream of at the start of this.

https://twitter.com/KarlBrophy/status/1360211937720680449

Advertisement