Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

.ak had a near death experience and realised he needed us.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Realised I had some unfinished business to take care of...

...Beating Venjur at fantasy rugby ofcourse!

(or lifetime banning him if he wins)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

.ak had a near death experience and realised he needed us.

who needs astraZeneca when 1 shot of Venjur is all that's required

:D

:D

And 1 shot is all I need!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4LqQxHh7tAkr_pQfitK03hGWx58_XYujG1w&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The Australian Govt v Facebook is going to be interesting. Personally I hope the Aussies hold out, Facebook are such an arrogant company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Best of luck .AK and my. Wishing you the best.
    Just got my 2nd shot. Arm is sore and a vicious headache. Everything else seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I do not recall where I read it so can't provide references, but I recall reading recently that a surprising amount of online hate and aggression does not even come from anonymous accounts. People are perfectly emboldened to engage in these things with their own names (or at least while being readily identifiable) because the vast majority still face no consequences.

Essentially the internet gives everyone a voice and it turns out a lot of people are just assholes.

From whence their voices emanate,,,:D

The Australian Govt v Facebook is going to be interesting. Personally I hope the Aussies hold out, Facebook are such an arrogant company.

What's going on there exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

.ak wrote: »
    What's going on there exactly?

Facebook started restricting users from viewing or sharing Australian news because of a proposed law in Australia that would require the social network to pay news publishers for content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sounds like your dad is a very young 71 MF, odds are still very strongly in his favour for a recovery. Do get a pulse oximeter though. Make sure he says above 95.

ak that's a great story about the Mater's tech procedure. Very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

.ak wrote: »
    What an age we live in... Now they're probably sold my data to China.

Hey man, someone's gotta pay for those gizmos!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Sounds like your dad is a very young 71 MF, odds are still very strongly in his favour for a recovery. Do get a pulse oximeter though. Make sure he says above 95.

ak that's a great story about the Mater's tech procedure. Very clever.

Unfortunately he had trouble breathing last night and the ambulance was called to take him to hospital. His oxygen levels were low, blood pressure was low and he was dehydrated.
    Fortunately he seems to be better today and has eaten food, is on a drip and his oxygen levels are back up.
    He's on a "normal" covid ward and not in ICU so that's a bonus!! He texted my eldest daughter earlier to say "you can't kill a bad thing"!!
    I'm delighted (sounds strange) that he's in hospital as he would have been a martyr at home....at least in there he is under supervision and is receiving very good care.

My brother tested positive this morning (lives in the same house)....he's fine and is enjoying the fact that my mother can't scold him for lying in bed all day!!

Thanks for all the well wishes lads....means a lot!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Glad he's getting the right care mfc, continued good wishes to him and your brother

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimKayes/status/1362868445147111425

Apologies if this has already been posted but too good not to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Best of luck to your dad. It's awful the state of things now. My mom is alone and isolated in Donaghmede. I can't even go over and visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

10 years since the ChCh earthquake.

Listening currently to a podcast called “Collapse” which deals with the CTV building collapse where 115 of the victims lost their lives.

My Dad sends regular snippets - reconstruction work still continues. Don’t think I would recognise the city centre now at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

swiwi_ wrote: »
    10 years since the ChCh earthquake.

Listening currently to a podcast called “Collapse” which deals with the CTV building collapse where 115 of the victims lost their lives.

My Dad sends regular snippets - reconstruction work still continues. Don’t think I would recognise the city centre now at all.

I was there 5 years ago. Whole blocks demolished. City centre eerily quiet at night, v few bars left. Felt like the heart had been ripped out of the city. I suppose it had. Actually slept through a 4.4 the night we arrived.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I was there 5 years ago. Whole blocks demolished. City centre eerily quiet at night, v few bars left. Felt like the heart had been ripped out of the city. I suppose it had. Actually slept through a 4.4 the night we arrived.

I sort of wonder at what point I won't feel Kiwi anymore? Like, I left NZ in 2006, so that's 15 years away now, or more than a third of my life. Don't even have a valid passport anymore, as the Swiss one is just as "powerful" and much more handy for travel in Europe.

My dad had a couple of irish friends when I was kid - the man was from Galway I think and his wife from Kerry or Cork. They had been in NZ for decades, but still had very strong accents and I don't think they really saw themselves as Kiwi.

Watched a couple of videos yesterday - much of the eastern part was red-zoned, so the house my grandparents lived in no longer exists, my parents house was knocked down and rebuilt etc. Many of the inner city buildings were colonial style brick or stone, which is hopeless in a large earthquake, hence the massive demolition jobs or else mega-expensive repairs.

As the eastern part of the city is basically now gone, there has been huge development on the outskirts. Was planning to go back with the whole family in 2022 for a visit, but with covid, it'll probably be 2023. The oldest girl was born in NZ, but the other 2 in Ireland, and I don't think they feel remotely Kiwi, the middle one in particular is still pretty attached to Ireland.

I think Chch will end up a pretty cool place once the reconstruction is finished. Think that is at least still 5 years away, maybe even longer for the cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The Cathedral hasn't even been touched yet right? They have a tendency to be 30 year jobs.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    The Cathedral hasn't even been touched yet right? They have a tendency to be 30 year jobs.

Yeah I think it’s maybe still in preparation. Will cost a packet but I suppose was pretty core to the central city. There is a lot of potential for the city centre with a lovely river flowing through, botanical gardens nearby etc. The new stadium is planned there too with a design a bit like the Dunedin stadium.

544558.jpg

Newest addition to the forum, a wee Vizsla puppy :)

Milo - boards rugby community
    Boards rugby community - Milo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ah he's a cracker swiwi. Massive paws too, he's gonna be a big'un.

I think Chch will end up a pretty cool place once the reconstruction is finished. Think that is at least still 5 years away, maybe even longer for the cathedral.

I hope so, would love to go back when it's finished. The cathedral will be a massive job to repair. The temporary one is kinda cool, especially the fact it's made of cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I hope so, would love to go back when it's finished. The cathedral will be a massive job to repair. The temporary one is kinda cool, especially the fact it's made of cardboard.

Pretty sure I lived in a few flats in Galway made of cardboard
    544558.jpg

Welcome to boards Milo. The mods usually ask new members to air their feelings on whether Sexton or ROG was a superior outhalf ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

544558.jpg

All posts should contain pup pics just saying

day already better

Bazzo wrote: »
    Welcome to boards Milo. The mods usually ask new members to air their feelings on whether Sexton or ROG was a superior outhalf ASAP.

Look at the pic. He looks sad and there's a tear in his eye. Swiwi just told him it was Sexton and his whole world came crashing down...

Look at the pic. He looks sad and there's a tear in his eye. Swiwi just told him it was Sexton and his whole world came crashing down...

I told him Carter.

Had just retired.

So sad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think we can all agree that Milo is far too good for the Pro 14 the boards rugby community.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

same name as my dog.....
    hes a pushon

Advertisement