Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    same name as my dog.....
    hes a pushon

You called your dog Swiwi too? Snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Milo is a great name for a dog.

My brother in law got a new pup recently and decided that he looked like a "Barry". He always said when he got a dog he would give it a proper "human" name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Daft Punk c'est fini !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Daft Punk c'est fini !

Always liked Daft Punk.

Homework and Discovery are still on my playlist 20+ years later as is the live album they did in the mid noughties.

Think they were also part of the collaboration behind Music Sounds Better With You (Stardust) which is one of the most famous house tunes from the late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

bilston wrote: »

Think they were also part of the collaboration behind Music Sounds Better With You (Stardust) which is one of the most famous house tunes from the late 90s.

A great way to shame somebody in their 40's is to tell them how old that song is. I destroyed many a soul with that fact back in the bygone era of working in an office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Roman Polanski might have a dodgy past but there is no doubting his talent as a director. It’s been ages since I watched the Pianist but it eats Schindler’s List for breakfast. Pacing is perfect and it’s just a better film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

A rare talent for understatement on display there, Swiwi.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

OJ Simpson might be slightly controversial, but there's no doubting Naked Gun is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Michael Jackson might have been overly fond of children but Thriller was a great album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Roman Polanski might have a dodgy past but there is no doubting his talent as a director. It’s been ages since I watched the Pianist but it eats Schindler’s List for breakfast. Pacing is perfect and it’s just a better film.

Funnily enough, I watched Manhattan the other night. Fantastic film. Allen is one of the few, if not the only one, of those accused of something heinous that I don't think is guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Jimmy Savile may have had a bad barnet, but other than that he was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

John Hayes might have been a nice guy but he was f*cking useless as a prop.

Only kidding. I hear he drowns puppies in his spare time. Still useless as a prop, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Parasite is on Amazon Prime. That's a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

That's next on my list. Hopefully get it watched this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Watched it a few months ago. It's completely mad but shot beautifully. I loved it

Always liked Daft Punk.

Homework and Discovery are still on my playlist 20+ years later as is the live album they did in the mid noughties.

Homework and Discovery are 2 of the best dance music albums ever made. Just pure quality. I'll never forget hearing Homework for the first time. Blew my mind and contributed hugely to my youth and taste in music. I missed them by a few weeks in Australia on the Alive tour. Was raging. The Alive album is superb.

Such a good band and gutted they're splitting. Always thought they'd do at least 1 more tour. I'd say they've made a fortune though. They were on the tail end of when albums made proper money for artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Grand day for ducks.

The new 'Star' catalogue on Disney + is pretty poor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Its the back catalog from the Fox deal. I imagine a lot of the good stuff is still tied up or waiting for an contract expiry on another streaming service.

Worth it for 24 alone

• Advertisement

Worth it for 24 alone

I saw that and wondered how well it has aged. It got ridiculous after a while but it was brilliant TV for a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Worth it for 24 alone

First couple of seasons of this were just incredible TV. Not sure if it would have the same effect if you can binge it rather than waiting a week to see how the cliff hanger gets resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The first series of 24 was epic tv, really well done and built the suspense brilliantly. Might have a look again...

Zzippy wrote: »
    The first series of 24 was epic tv, really well done and built the suspense brilliantly. Might have a look again...

It was such a unique show.

I feel like 24 had a brilliant first season, a really good second season, then seasons that had good parts mixed with large elements of filler until it became completely mediocre and repetitive.

Really should have stopped after 3 or so seasons. Might give season 1 another crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The daughter parts of season 1 did get a bit meh. Rather dull part of the plotline compared to most of it.

I feel like 24 had a brilliant first season, a really good second season, then seasons that had good parts mixed with large elements of filler until it became completely mediocre and repetitive.

Really should have stopped after 3 or so seasons. Might give season 1 another crack.

It peaked in Season 3 for sure. That's not to say the other seasons weren't entertaining, but the first 3 seasons were definitely the best IMO.

Season 5 was the best of 24, easily. Followed by 8 and 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

First couple of seasons of this were just incredible TV. Not sure if it would have the same effect if you can binge it rather than waiting a week to see how the cliff hanger gets resolved.

I watched it for the first time last year. Didn’t really watch TV when it was being aired on a weekly basis. Can’t give perspective for comparison but it was good to watch it that way, it’s like a constant flow.

First three seasons were good then it kind of ran out of ideas.

• Advertisement

24 season 5:
    I picked season 5 as that was the start of the Charles Logan antagonist arc. His character was the highlight of the entire show. What a conniving, snivelling snake! A terrific performance.

Advertisement