Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He was a great character Thomond.
    He always seemed like a play on Nixon, even looked a bit like him...back in the good old days when Nixon was as bad as it got for American Presidents

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Scary news on Tiger Woods this evening.

He’s recovering from back surgery and didn’t look in great shape on Sunday when he made an appearance on the TV coverage - I suspect that he’s on some pretty serious painkillers (but hopefully that didn’t play a part in today’s accident).

He’s currently having surgery on some leg injuries sustained, and in addition to the back injuries it would be a desperate way for his career to end if that was to transpire.

Didn't realise 24 was actually supposed to be good. I always thougnt it was something like CSI but with a gimmick.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

24 really hasn't aged well, even the better seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Gerard Depardieu has been charged with rape in France, reportedly happened 3 years ago and originally dropped for lack of evidence 2 years ago.
    Something must have happened in the meantime as the case was reopened before Xmas.

• Advertisement

Valheim is more addictive than crack. I've never had crack but I doubt I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Valheim is more addictive than crack. I've never had crack but I doubt I'm wrong.

It's very addicting for a while, and definitely worth a go, but when you actually look at the game and think about it, there's not a whole lot to it. Still, it's sales are massive - let's see if it can survive past flavours of the month like Among Us, Phasmaphobia or Fall Guys.

Hopefully they add a few more areas and challenges.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is it any use as a single player?

It's very addicting for a while, and definitely worth a go, but when you actually look at the game and think about it, there's not a whole lot to it. Still, it's sales are massive - let's see if it can survive past flavours of the month like Among Us, Phasmaphobia or Fall Guys.

Hopefully they add a few more areas and challenges.

I'm gearing up at the moment for the 4th boss, playing with 6-7 others. When we complete the playthrough I wouldn't be surprised if it gets set aside for a while.

To me knowledge there is a good deal of content due in the next few months. A building update, new zone (mists?) a sea update, a combat update which apparently will have some skill tree element.

I also gather they are expanding a good bit due to the massive sales. It might be a fad, could be another minecraft either.
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Is it any use as a single player?

If you like minecraft or survival / construction games then I would say yes. I play with a group but regularly am away doing things solo. I have a solo game running but spend most of my time on the server my group have setup.

I'm gearing up at the moment for the 4th boss, playing with 6-7 others. When we complete the playthrough I wouldn't be surprised if it gets set aside for a while.

Same. I really enjoy it, and I'm at the same stage gear wise as yourself a few silver bits and pieces here and there. On the bright side, silver is far easier to acquire than iron.

I'm wondering how their roadmap will change given it's at what, 4 million sales this month?

Hopefully it does well, always good to see a small project take off. If they can sustain it, great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The Govt should look at relaxing restrictions, if even only slightly. People are going to start ignoring more of the rules en masse very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The Govt should look at relaxing restrictions, if even only slightly. People are going to start ignoring more of the rules en masse very soon

Relaxing restrictions would literally kill people that could otherwise survive. How many deaths would be okay? What's the level people are prepared to accept to make their lives easier?

I'm not blind to the frustrations. I've found the last 2 months in particular very tough. But my frustrations and difficulties are not more important than other people's lives. So I just have to suck it up and get on with it as best I can.

People ignoring restrictions is a stupidly self defeating action. The more that do it, the more the virus spreads, the longer restrictions will last.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

molloyjh wrote: »
    Relaxing restrictions would literally kill people that could otherwise survive. How many deaths would be okay? What's the level people are prepared to accept to make their lives easier?

I'm not blind to the frustrations. I've found the last 2 months in particular very tough. But my frustrations and difficulties are not more important than other people's lives. So I just have to suck it up and get on with it as best I can.

People ignoring restrictions is a stupidly self defeating action. The more that do it, the more the virus spreads, the longer restrictions will last.

Agreed

People don't seem to get the point of your last paragraph at all

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The last couple of months have been particularly awful. I can completely understand why people are struggling with it now more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What is the most frustrating is the lack of punishment for groups that are brazenly ignoring restrictions. I'm reasonable when it comes to the limits etc but there needs to be enforcement.

I expect come April that some form of travel will be allowed. Maybe it goes back to travel within your county. No household visits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »

I suspect this is meant as a rhetorical question, but the reality is that there is in fact an answer to this question and it is not zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I suspect this is meant as a rhetorical question, but the reality is that there is in fact an answer to this question and it is not zero.

The reality is that there's more than 1 answer to that depending on who you ask and what their perspective is. And that's the real issue. We could ease restrictions, but there will be others who feel we should ease them more. There isn't a single line that everyone agrees to. So no matter where its drawn, some will say not enough is being done while others saying we can ease up a bit.

Based on how it’s going in Israel I can’t see Ireland getting anywhere near “open” until after the summer. Not sure if hiding from that truth is not just going to do far more damage or make restrictions completely unsustainable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Based on how it’s going in Israel I can’t see Ireland getting anywhere near “open” until after the summer. Not sure if hiding from that truth is not just going to do far more damage or make restrictions completely unsustainable

What do you mean by whats going on in Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I just want the country open by June so I can go to a few gigs. Missed out completely last year obviously and I am desperate to go see some live music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I just want the country open by June so I can go to a few gigs. Missed out completely last year obviously and I am desperate to go see some live music.
    Wont happen by June. I work them for most of the summer and we wont have any by June. Maybe some small events in late summer but cant see any large scale gigs this summer.
    Just means summer of 2022 will be like the wild west

Hundreds of skanger bastards marching to Stephens Green...and now in O'Connell Street "protesting" the pandemic.. masks.. vaccines....the colour purple, fck knows....makes you despair..not a fckin mask in sight and that so called comedian Fabu-D live streaming the whole sorry mess

Who?

Wont happen by June. I work them for most of the summer and we wont have any by June. Maybe some small events in late summer but cant see any large scale gigs this summer.
    Just means summer of 2022 will be like the wild west

Shut your filthy mouth!! Stop ruining my life!
    😜😭

I know what you are saying is true. My wife says the same. It's just so depressing. I'm still holding on to my tickets in the desperate hope you're both wrong. I'm also looking into festivals and gigs overseas this summer. Once I get the vaccine.

Shut your filthy mouth!! Stop ruining my life!
    😜😭

I know what you are saying is true. My wife says the same. It's just so depressing. I'm still holding on to my tickets in the desperate hope you're both wrong. I'm also looking into festivals and gigs overseas this summer. Once I get the vaccine.

Yep it sucks. Its like some never ending repeat of yesterday every day

I'm feeling optimistic today, its March on Monday, the days are a bit brighter and hopefully the full effect of the vaccines in those vaccinated will start to have an effect and we can see an end in sight

January was the pits

I want the country to be open by June so I can have 14 pints of Guinness in one sitting

Stheno wrote: »
    Yep it sucks. Its like some never ending repeat of yesterday every day

I'm feeling optimistic today, its March on Monday, the days are a bit brighter and hopefully the full effect of the vaccines in those vaccinated will start to have an effect and we can see an end in sight

January was the pits

Very true. January is always a tough month for me because theres the post Xmas blues, it's cold, wet and dark and theres nothing really going on. Then on top of that I'm getting messages and FB posts from friends and family back home enjoying summer. This year has been a thousand times worse. Upcoming gigs and holidays and going to the pub with my mates to watch rugby is what gets me through Irish winters. This one has just been brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

After watching Tokyo Diner, bought myself a bottle of Sake. Not too bad at all I must say. Better than the rocket fuel sake my cousin brought back from Japan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Very true. January is always a tough month for me because theres the post Xmas blues, it's cold, wet and dark and theres nothing really going on. Then on top of that I'm getting messages and FB posts from friends and family back home enjoying summer. This year has been a thousand times worse. Upcoming gigs and holidays and going to the pub with my mates to watch rugby is what gets me through Irish winters. This one has just been brutal.

I've a mate who's currently in the Welsh bar in Wellington and I think he's homing in on IBF's 14 pints target... fair jealous. Hopefully we'll have a bit more normality by the Summer.

• Advertisement

Toasting a good performance today :)

Advertisement