Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Stheno wrote: »
    Its also lack of enforcement by the powers that be imo

And the combination of people refusing to follow restrictions and no enforcement is what infuriates me

Now I wfh and most days don't go anywhere apart from to walk the dog

I know I'm very fortunate that I am not affected financially from this and I'm OK mentally, but my partner has had a torrid time of it

The government through their botched comes and lack of backbone have lost a significant minority imo and thank god for the vaccine as imo there is no other way out

Lack of enforcement is an issue, but the Irish govt clearly recognised early on that they couldn't harshly enforce rules and needed to rely on getting people on board. They could do better for sure, but we don't have the resources for an enforced lockdown. And once you go down that route you have other problems.

I think its always worth remembering that Ireland is still in the bottom third of Europe for cases and deaths.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I would question this bit though. I think the explosion was because of everyone's actions over Christmas. I don't doubt that many people who came home acted irresponsibly. But equally I'm sure that plenty of Irish residents simply mixed a lot more over Christmas.

It does not take much for the UK variant to become dominant. It is becoming so in Switzerland and we have reasonably severe restrictions on incoming travellers.

On your first paragraph I know equal amounts of people who stayed home and had a quiet Christmas as I do those who went to pub lockdowns/thought it was ok for seven siblings to visit their parents at different times

So no, the explosion was not down to everyone

On your first paragraph I know equal amounts of people who stayed home and had a quiet Christmas as I do those who went to pub lockdowns/thought it was ok for seven siblings to visit their parents at different times

So no, the explosion was not down to everyone

I am obviously casting broad brushstrokes. But 50,000 people flying in is nothing compared to even 1,000,000 people mingling more than needs be and that is only 20% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think its always worth remembering that Ireland is still in the bottom third of Europe for cases and deaths.

About 6 weeks ago we had the highest case incidence per capita in the world!

Zzippy wrote: »
    About 6 weeks ago we had the highest case incidence per capita in the world!

And now we don't....

We had a massive peak and a very quick dropdown from it. This should also be taken in context of testing in Ireland being at pretty decent levels. It's a simple statement of fact that Ireland has one of the lowest death and case rates in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And now we don't....

We had a massive peak and a very quick dropdown from it. This should also be taken in context of testing in Ireland being at pretty decent levels. It's a simple statement of fact that Ireland has one of the lowest death and case rates in Europe.

So do you think we should have less restrictions?

So do you think we should have less restrictions?

No, I think the restrictions have obviously worked quite well and achieved their goal. Obviously restrictions will lessen as time goes on, but the rate of that is up for debate and its far too soon for it to start in any large sense. Ultimately I think "local" behaviour probably had more impact than incoming travellers and focusing on the latter isn't all that helpful though its not something I have significant stats to back up.

Ireland has still had one of the lowest death and incidence rates in Europe though. We don't need to **** on ourselves at every possible opportunity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The FT have a good interactive site to compare how countries are doing

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=usa&areas=gbr&areas=irl&areas=eur&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usnj&areasRegional=usaz&areasRegional=usca&areasRegional=usnd&areasRegional=ussd&cumulative=0&logScale=0&per100K=1&startDate=2020-09-01&values=deaths

We were doing far far better than most places in the Autumn and then our numbers went bananas at Christmas. I think these two things are related as I think (some) people lost their fear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭OldRio

This is funny. Some of the comments are priceless.
    Read the old letter first. Also it's rather rude so....

https://twitter.com/fineanddanya/status/1365763983244996612?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Just watched Wonder Woman 1984, what a mess of a film. After the first one being good, I would have hoped for a lot more from the sequel. Really awful film.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    Just watched Wonder Woman 1984, what a mess of a film. After the first one being good, I would have hoped for a lot more from the sequel. Really awful film.

The first third is decent I thought, the rest is a saccharine mess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

sydthebeat wrote: »

Well I’ll grant you that much was alright but unfortunately you have to sit through another hour and 45 minutes of a film then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Now there's a word you don't see everyday. Particularly on the rugby forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Now there's a word you don't see everyday. Particularly on the rugby forum :D

“Sweet as” bro :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

My grandmother was vaccinated yesterday. She's 87 and has been in and out of hospital in recent months due to a number of health problems. Each time she went in we were worried she might catch the virus on the ward. So it's a major relief to us that she got the jab.

I know the rollout isn't happening as fast as we'd all like, but progress is being made!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Guys and gals... I'm looking to get my hands on some formal shirts. Online of course given current restrictions.

But I'm looking for brightly unicoloured ones.
    Lime green, canary yellow, fire engine red, turquoise that kind of stuff.

Used to get some when I travelled, and need to refresh the wardrobe.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

kuang1 wrote: »
    Guys and gals... I'm looking to get my hands on some formal shirts. Online of course given current restrictions.

Olymp shirts have a fairly good range of such shirts,

My OH has a lime green, rust and red shirt from there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

kuang1 wrote: »

Have you tried aversion therapy?.......:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What are the chances of being able to visit Ireland this summer, does anyone know?

• Advertisement

What are the chances of being able to visit Ireland this summer, does anyone know?

With or without a vaccination passport?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

With or without a vaccination passport?

It's almost certain we won't have been vaccinated by then.

It's almost certain we won't have been vaccinated by then.

all we can really go by is the current regulations around travelling

if you are coming from Switzerland at the moment and dont want to be in a mandatory quarantine situation, you need to have a negative PCR test result within 72 of landing here

you are also required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival, at the address specified by you beforehand. This duration can be reduced / finished if you obtain a negative PCR result no less than 5 days after arrival.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/#requirement-for-a-pre-departure-covid-19-rt-pcr-test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I have a week off in April! I would love to go home and visit my mom. I'm vaccinated. Would I be able to visit minus the quarantine?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I have a week off in April! I would love to go home and visit my mom. I'm vaccinated. Would I be able to visit minus the quarantine?

Vaccines haven't been taken into account for any of the quarantine measures yet because there's been no studies that have shown significant decreases in terms of vaccinated people spreading the virus even though they may be immune themselves.

So you'd still have to get a test before you leave, and then a test within 5 days of your arrival to cut the quarantine down to 5 days as opposed to 14.

Vaccines haven't been taken into account for any of the quarantine measures yet because there's been no studies that have shown significant decreases in terms of vaccinated people spreading the virus even though they may be immune themselves.

So you'd still have to get a test before you leave, and then a test within 5 days of your arrival to cut the quarantine down to 5 days as opposed to 14.

Ok. Thank you.

I don't know what vaccines are available to the Irish public, but I received the moderna vaccine. Just a heads up, I haven't felt right since the last shot. I have experienced headaches, back pain and general lethargy, as well as some dizzy spells. Moderna was the only option available to myself and my co workers. That said, most of the lads suffered no ill effects. There are a couple that had different types of reactions to the vaccine. One lad was covered in hives for a couple of days and another lad developed a lump in his armpit, which he still has over a month later. Massachusetts introduced the Johnson & Johnson vaccine this week and there's also a pfizer vaccine available.
    There ye have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I don't know what vaccines are available to the Irish public, but I received the moderna vaccine. Just a heads up, I haven't felt right since the last shot. I have experienced headaches, back pain and general lethargy, as well as some dizzy spells. Moderna was the only option available to myself and my co workers. That said, most of the lads suffered no ill effects. There are a couple that had different types of reactions to the vaccine. One lad was covered in hives for a couple of days and another lad developed a lump in his armpit, which he still has over a month later. Massachusetts introduced the Johnson & Johnson vaccine this week and there's also a pfizer vaccine available.
    There ye have it.

I was quite unwell after my first dose of Pfizer/biontech and still like yourself have lethargy and back pain. It's not dissimilar to what I felt for a few months after I had Covid. Slightly anxious about getting the second dose today but at least it will be done with. Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I was quite unwell after my first dose of Pfizer/biontech and still like yourself have lethargy and back pain. It's not dissimilar to what I felt for a few months after I had Covid. Slightly anxious about getting the second dose today but at least it will be done with. Hope you feel better soon.

I have anecdotally heard that if the first shot makes you feel a bit unwell the second usually wont.

Absolutely not medical experience. Just anecdotally from others that I have had it.

• Advertisement

I do worry that covid will mutate into something else. Like a cross between the flu and the current covid, and become like a seasonal type illness. If it does mutate, hopefully the vaccines keep pace. It's a evolving battle and I hope it doesn't become more deadly.

Advertisement