Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Any posts I've made about TV shows and box sets most recently have been negative in the main. Apologies for being a negative Nancy. I do actually enjoy some of the stuff that's out there...

I'm in the process of discovering "American Gods."

Jaysus it ain't bad!!!
    Have watched all but the final episode of season 1.

For the first time time in a long time, I don't give a fcuk how long they drag out a story line. This is class.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

kuang1 wrote: »
    Any posts I've made about TV shows and box sets most recently have been negative in the main. Apologies for being a negative Nancy. I do actually enjoy some of the stuff that's out there...

I'm in the process of discovering "American Gods."

Jaysus it ain't bad!!!
    Have watched all but the final episode of season 1.

For the first time time in a long time, I don't give a fcuk how long they drag out a story line. This is class.

Oh dear...

Stop after the next one

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Oh dear...

Stop after the next one

fully agreed

i loved season one and only got to about episode 3 or 4 of season 2 before i gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Oh dear...

Stop after the next one

Ah really?

Pheck.

Thought season 1 was ok but not great. Don't think I finished the first episode of season 2 - just struggled to have any interest.

Finished Wandavision last night. I really have no idea what they were aiming for, but whatever it was they missed. Well written, visuals and CGI were great, but the premise just didn't work for me and it was a bit of a mess of plot holes and incomplete narratives.

Watchable (as is almost everything Marvel produces) but nothing special. Hopefully Falcon and the Winter soldier is a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thought season 1 was ok but not great. Don't think I finished the first episode of season 2 - just struggled to have any interest.

Finished Wandavision last night. I really have no idea what they were aiming for, but whatever it was they missed. Well written, visuals and CGI were great, but the premise just didn't work for me and it was a bit of a mess of plot holes and incomplete narratives.

Watchable (as is almost everything Marvel produces) but nothing special. Hopefully Falcon and the Winter soldier is a bit better.

Wandavision was a strange one for me. I think they took way too long with the first few episodes running through the 'simulation' and dropping in tiny hints, and then the finale was just a big mash of everything coming together with all the plot holes being exposed and a lot of the 'conclusions' not making much sense.

On another note, watched the first few episodes of Superman and Lois, would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm struggling to find a good binge worthy TV show at the moment. Nothing jumping out at me on Netfilix or Sky. We only got Prime in the past 6 months so I've been going through loads on there but I'm finding I get through a few episodes or maybe a season and then I move on. I got through all of The Boys and I think that is the only one I have finished. Still got a season of The Expanse to go. Think I binged the first 4 too quickly and I needed a break. Halfway through the second season of Jack Ryan.

I might go back and watch Justified or The Shield again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I couldn't finish the 2nd season of Jack Ryan. It got ridiculous from memory. Undone on Prime is well worth a watch.

I just bought the Battlestar Galactica Blue Rays. I have very very vague recollections of watching the 70s show on TV as a very young child in the 80s. Other than that I've never seen an episode. I've also never bought a Blu-Ray. What a time to be alive

Battlestar Galactica (the modern series) was great. I have actually searched Sky, Netflix and Prime to see if any had the series. Unfortunately not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jack Ryan was enjoyable fluff in the first season. The second season was ridiclous. Plot devices all over the place. Supposedly this exceptionally smart and cautious CIA operative would just do something incredibly dumb to further the plot.

They spent the entire first season cultivating his character as this shrewd and insightful guy. Season 2 looks like it was written by a bad 80s action screenwriter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Seconding the recommendation for BSG. Really was excellent stuff. You really ended up caring about the characters involved, even the Cylons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I couldn't finish the 2nd season of Jack Ryan. It got ridiculous from memory. Undone on Prime is well worth a watch.

I just bought the Battlestar Galactica Blue Rays. I have very very vague recollections of watching the 70s show on TV as a very young child in the 80s. Other than that I've never seen an episode. I've also never bought a Blu-Ray. What a time to be alive

It goes slightly askew in the last season, but Battlestar Galactica is utterly phenomenal TV. Like nothing that was on TV at the time I think.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Battlestar Galactica (the modern series) was great. I have actually searched Sky, Netflix and Prime to see if any had the series. Unfortunately not.

Its on Prime Switzerland.

FINALLY A BENEFIT! :D

Started this. Only two episodes in and it seems great. Could be good for the sci fi heads out there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Looks vaguely Fringe alternate universe-esque. Will have to keep an eye on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Maybe an obvious one but Line of Duty, Season 6 is out in a few weeks. If anyone hasn’t seen that it’s very watchable / binge-worthy. I think it’s season 4 that goes a little silly, but other than that, it’s excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Battlestar Galactica gets mixed reviews I think but personally I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I'm struggling to find a good binge worthy TV show at the moment. Nothing jumping out at me on Netfilix or Sky. We only got Prime in the past 6 months so I've been going through loads on there but I'm finding I get through a few episodes or maybe a season and then I move on. I got through all of The Boys and I think that is the only one I have finished. Still got a season of The Expanse to go. Think I binged the first 4 too quickly and I needed a break. Halfway through the second season of Jack Ryan.

I might go back and watch Justified or The Shield again.

Have you tried Gomorrah , it's about the mafia in Naples. Although it's in subtitles it's one of the best series I've watched. Recently watched Ozark and though it was excellent aswell

Have you tried Gomorrah , it's about the mafia in Naples. Although it's in subtitles it's one of the best series I've watched. Recently watched Ozark and though it was excellent aswell

I have to be in the right mood for lots of subtitles. Watched the Das Boot series and the first Narcos. Keep meaning to go back to Narcos. I completely forgot about Ozark! That's another I watched the first season. Thanks. I might check Gomorrah as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I have to be in the right mood for lots of subtitles. Watched the Das Boot series and the first Narcos. Keep meaning to go back to Narcos. I completely forgot about Ozark! That's another I watched the first season. Thanks. I might check Gomorrah as well.

Gomorrah's well worth it . If you've a few hours to yourself with no distractions about , stick it on . I actually thought it was a big far fetched till I watched a few documentaries on naples and outside of it's tourist zone it's a pretty rough place . The final season is being film at the minute .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Swiwi mentioned The Kingdom recently. It was watchable stuff without being the next big thing or anything like that. An interesting premised and not a massive commitment either. I've found Snowpiercer easy going stuff too. Both on Netflix.

Battlestar was superb for the majority but I lost interest in the last season. Not sure how it's aged though.

I found Oats Studio's Volume One interesting. It's basically a series of shorts toying around with various ideas. That's on Prime. Sigourney Weaver makes an appearance which will generally be enough to peak my interest.

I'm assuming everyone has watched The Punisher on Netflix....

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    Swiwi mentioned The Kingdom recently. It was watchable stuff without being the next big thing or anything like that. An interesting premised and not a massive commitment either. I've found Snowpiercer easy going stuff too. Both on Netflix.

Battlestar was superb for the majority but I lost interest in the last season. Not sure how it's aged though.

I found Oats Studio's Volume One interesting. It's basically a series of shorts toying around with various ideas. That's on Prime. Sigourney Weaver makes an appearance which will generally be enough to peak my interest.

I'm assuming everyone has watched The Punisher on Netflix....

Nope, but I am currently struggling through Daredevil Season 2.

awec wrote: »
    Nope, but I am currently struggling through Daredevil Season 2.

I thought Daredevil was fine. Some good parts, some not so good. Like Jessica Jones, it had a pretty good first season that it struggled to follow up. Daredevil season 2 does introduce a lot for the Defenders season and The Punisher. Other than that I barely remember it.

The Defenders was decent too I thought. I couldn't get into Luke Cage or Iron Fist. The last season of Jessica Jones I thought was pretty weak too. The Punisher was for me the most consistent of the lot, although it did try too hard to tie everything together at times. There were no super powers or any of that crap, which probably grounded it a bit better than the others.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    I thought Daredevil was fine. Some good parts, some not so good. Like Jessica Jones, it had a pretty good first season that it struggled to follow up. Daredevil season 2 does introduce a lot for the Defenders season and The Punisher. Other than that I barely remember it.

The Defenders was decent too I thought. I couldn't get into Luke Cage or Iron Fist. The last season of Jessica Jones I thought was pretty weak too. The Punisher was for me the most consistent of the lot, although it did try too hard to tie everything together at times. There were no super powers or any of that crap, which probably grounded it a bit better than the others.

I enjoyed season 1 of Daredevil, just struggling with season 2. It's a bit boring.

awec wrote: »
    I enjoyed season 1 of Daredevil, just struggling with season 2. It's a bit boring.

Stick with it so and then move on to Jessica Jones season 1, then The Defenders and fit in The Punisher whenever (the others are interlinked but the Punisher is stand alone). Daredevil Season 2 lays a lot of ground work for the latter 2. I wouldn't bother with any of the other ones tbh and even Jessica Jones beyond season 1 is a bit meh. David Tennant is the antagonist for season 1 and is great.

Daredevil S2 is definitely the weakest. Though I quite enjoyed S3.

The Punisher is ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Didn't the punisher show only come about because people loved him in Daredevil so much.

It wasn't originally planned to have its own show

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Didn't the punisher show only come about because people loved him in Daredevil so much.

It wasn't originally planned to have its own show

I believe so. Berenthal was the perfect casting choice for the role IMO He absolutely nailed it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

These were going to be my two!

Deutschland 83/86/89 is well worth a watch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I mentioned it before, but if you haven't seen it already... Warrior on Amazon is a very good watch
    Taken from Bruce Lee's idea, Chinese immigrants in San Francisco in the 1870's. tongs against the Irish and the police.... very enjoyable 2 seasons

Advertisement