Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

awec wrote: »
    My folks are mid-50s and they were able to book theirs last week, think they're getting it early April.

There's a definite degree of variety depending on your doctors' surgery etc. I know someone who just turned fifty who is getting it this morning.

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'm giving serious consideration to sticking my name down for the vaccine in the north.
    Am I mad?
    There doesn't seem to be any huge rush here on receiving it and I'm almost in the next group age wise to receive it.

The father has made good recovery from his time in hospital. He's still a bit wheezy talking but every day and all that.
    He worked an hour last Wednesday and the same on Thursday and to be honest I'm delighted because sitting on his arse wouldn't be his style.

https://twitter.com/SeanBurkeShow/status/1373632078693216258?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'm giving serious consideration to sticking my name down for the vaccine in the north.
    Am I mad?

You're mad for even having to think twice about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Scarily accurate.

It's not really though, and this is very important. The reason we're not vaccinating people as fast as the UK is because we don't have the doses, and that's out of the Irish government's hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's not really though, and this is very important. The reason we're not vaccinating people as fast as the UK is because we don't have the doses, and that's out of the Irish government's hands.

The reality is actually quite promising though. Definitely feel like there’s light at the end of the tunnel when looking forward to what should happen in the next month. If only someone’s responsibility was to convey that messaging! Like some sort of elected representatives who could sit between the EU and the HSE. I’m sure we’d be banned from discussing them if there was any evidence that they did exist.

It’s starting to get there though. We’re all going to be downing pints and licking each other again any day now, I think that’s what we used to do it’s very hard to remember.

Shouldn't have suspended on the the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, in fairness.

Disagree to be honest, when a new adverse event occurs with any medicine the response is always 'pause and review'. That's how you ensure people have confidence and don't feel like they are being sold a line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yep, that was a very poor call.

I have sympathy for the government because their expert group advised them to do so, but it was very obvious that it was a non issue and it did a lot of damage to public confidence. It was supposed to be a conservative approach but ultimately it was the opposite.

Am I right in saying that only the US and UK are restricting the exporting of vaccines from manufacturing sites within their borders?

I think over 8 million doses have gone from the EU to the UK.

Am I right in saying that only the US and UK are restricting the exporting of vaccines from manufacturing sites within their borders?

I think over 8 million doses have gone from the EU to the UK.

No, Italy stopped vaccines going to Australia.

Also, it's not the actual vaccine that there are restrictions on. It seems to be other ancillary medicines, used to deal with the wider treatment. Certainly, Pfizer can't produce its vaccine without ingredients produced in Yorkshire.

No, Italy stopped vaccines going to Australia.

It was originally just the US and UK, but in March the EU brought in new regulations to follow suit

It was originally just the US and UK, but in March the EU brought in new regulations to follow suit

The legislation was brought in in January. It's due to expire at the end of this month, hence the current debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

No its actually the shortage of vaccinators despite the waffle they are spouting. Tens off thousands more could be done by now if they thought to start recruiting vaccinators before 6 weeks ago. A certain CHO stopped recruitment from existing HSE staff which has put the rollout back my weeks/months in the area. There would be a shortage of vaccines if they were actually any way near their vaccinator numbers but they simply are not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

UK hasn't technically restricted the exportation of vaccines as I do not think anyone has actually tried to export them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's a defacto ban, a ban in all but name. UK obligations must be filled first. Similar enough to the US.

Disagree to be honest, when a new adverse event occurs with any medicine the response is always 'pause and review'. That's how you ensure people have confidence and don't feel like they are being sold a line.

It's not though. You compare the potential benefit of stopping vs the potential danger of stopping. At the very least the communication around the "pause" was crap but its clearly done long term damage.

• Advertisement

It's a defacto ban, a ban in all but name. UK obligations must be filled first. Similar enough to the US.

Pretty sure that's a choice by AZ though. They should be getting far more of the blame than either the EU or the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's a choice by AZ though. They should be getting far more of the blame than either the EU or the UK.

For sure, they should, but my understanding is that it's part of their contract that the UK government insisted on (fulfill our obligations first). The two are joined at the hip, and it's a convenient screen to hide behind for the UK (and they're right to hide behind it).

I mean the quote was that they haven’t asked to export it.

Then the next quote was that if they asked they’d be told no!

I don’t think it’s their decision at all.

It's not though. You compare the potential benefit of stopping vs the potential danger of stopping. At the very least the communication around the "pause" was crap but its clearly done long term damage.

I think that depends on how it was handled domestically. In Portugal today there was a survey around vaccine confidence and AZ was ahead of Moderna

I mean the quote was that they haven’t asked to export it.

Then the next quote was that if they asked they’d be told no!

I don’t think it’s their decision at all.

I'm just not sure they would be doing anything differently if they had the choice. They are happily choosing to bring millions of doses from the EU to the (higher paying) UK.

I think that depends on how it was handled domestically. In Portugal today there was a survey around vaccine confidence and AZ was ahead of Moderna

Absolutely. And it has, in general, not been handled well by many European countries I think. Though there is plenty of blame to go around between the government communications and the media.

I'm just not sure they would be doing anything differently if they had the choice. They are happily choosing to bring millions of doses from the EU to the (higher paying) UK.

Well they’re not choosing to bring the doses currently sitting in the Netherlands which can’t currently even be legally administered in the EU, and the EU have said they wouldn’t be allowed to if they asked. I’d imagine if they could, they’d be on the next ship. And I think the EU are right to stop them from doing that. And I hope they hold their nerve until that factory is approved and we gobble the lot.

I’m all for AZ hating though myself in general, they’re a load of bollockses. Unlike Pfizer who are a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

But it wasn't an 'adverse' event. 37 people having blood clotting events out of over 17,000,000 who were vaccinated is a fraction of what you would expect in the normal population. Guess what Covid-19 causes. Blood clots ffs.

A careful review of all available safety data of more than 17 million people vaccinated in the European Union (EU) and UK with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca has shown no evidence of an increased risk of pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or thrombocytopenia, in any defined age group, gender, batch or in any particular country.

So far across the EU and UK, there have been 15 events of DVT and 22 events of pulmonary embolism reported among those given the vaccine, based on the number of cases as of 8 March. This is much lower than would be expected to occur naturally in a general population of this size and is similar across other licensed COVID-19 vaccines. The monthly safety report will be made public on the European Medicines Agency website in the following week, in line with exceptional transparency measures for COVID-19.

Furthermore, in clinical trials, even though the number of thrombotic events was small, these were lower in the vaccinated group. There has also been no evidence of increased bleeding in over 60,000 participants enrolled.
    Chief Medical Officer, said: “Around 17 million people in the EU and UK have now received our vaccine, and the number of cases of blood clots reported in this group is lower than the hundreds of cases that would be expected among the general population. The nature of the pandemic has led to increased attention in individual cases and we are going beyond the standard practices for safety monitoring of licensed medicines in reporting vaccine events, to ensure public safety.”

There have also been people with clotting problems on the Pfizer / Biontech. J&J and Moderna vaccines but they were not suspended by the EU. The Astra Zeneca vaccine development was paid for by the British taxpayer and is freely available to any country that wants to make it providing it is on a not for profit basis. I suspect there was a lot of lobbying from those Pharmacy giants who see a gigantic profit disappearing if the Astra Zeneca shot its used instead of there wildly expensive alternatives. The vaccine has been attacked politically from day one by the EU and in particularly by Macron. First we had the lies that it didn't work in over 65s...which has turned out to be the exact opposite of it's efficacy. Then we had Moron Macron saying it basically didn't work at all. Then we had this utter bilge about clots. The attack on this Vaccine is of a purely political nature. The EU should hang it's head in shame over their utterly inept record in this matter. Also remember not long ago the EU under Fuehrer Von Der Leyen illegally banned the prospect of Vaccines travelling in to N.I. from Ireland. As a response to that the British Government suggested that they could supply 4,000,000 doses to Ireland and the EU forbade any such notion. No EU country is allowed to benefit ahead of any other which sounds good in practice but is bollocks. I would have thought it was utterly impossible to make those clowns in Westminster look good but Ursula managed it in spades.

jacothelad wrote: »
    There have also been people with clotting problems on the Pfizer / Biontech. J&J and Moderna vaccines but they were not suspended by the EU.

Neither was the AZ one. I believe the EMA did not support or encourage the "freeze" on usage of the vaccine. It was individual countries doing so, and quite irresponsibly it appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Neither was the AZ one. I believe the EMA did not support or encourage the "freeze" on usage of the vaccine. It was individual countries doing so, and quite irresponsibly it appears.

Yes and shamefully this isn't just a matter of a lot of backhanders from Pfizer or Macron getting a stiffy. It will have caused people to die.

Advertisement