Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Woodward is a smarmy git.... but this was not of his doing... the Glazer family drove this on ....I'd think that United will be the last English club to pull out

Wrong.

They just have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They are trying to put extra qualification places in for teams that have historically done well in the CL but don't make the tournament no? That is the essence of protecting the big money teams.

FFP is a joke, there is not a hope of a properly enforced salary cap.

2 places, which is completely different than what you said. And people aren't happy about that either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

2 places, which is completely different than what you said. And people aren't happy about that either.

How is it completely different? They want to make sure that Man U, Liverpool, Juve or whoever don't miss out on the Champions League because of one bad domestic campaign. 2 spots should be more than enough to make sure none of them ever drop out because rarely will multiples of them face such a concern. Its already making a farce of the meritocratic nature of the comp.

It's also completely and utterly money driven and one suspects will pass easily now.

The entire revamped CL idea was completely money driven to make sure the big name teams all make it

This sentence just isn't true.

How is it completely different? They want to make sure that Man U, Liverpool, Juve or whoever don't miss out on the Champions League because of one bad domestic campaign. 2 spots should be more than enough to make sure none of them ever drop out because rarely will multiples of them face such a concern. Its already making a farce of the meritocratic nature of the comp.

It's also completely and utterly money driven and one suspects will pass easily now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Money will guide this, long term. If enough revenue is generated outside of Europe and if enough of the bigger clubs and their billionaire owners don't like their cut, a break-away NFL-style league is not just likely, I'd go as far as to say it's probable. The impotent rage of fans in England can be channeled into whatever antisocial behaviour they please, these "clubs" are now global corporations, seeking to maximise their return.

Why is there any need to do this with existing clubs? With the kind of cash they're offering why not just start a global mega league from scratch with new teams with cool names for the kidz?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Jesus, imagine if you had a massive shareholding in one of these Clubs and this was the strategic judgement of the executive officers playing out in front of you. You'd be fit to be tied.

Absolute school of clowns.

Perez, Agnelli, Woodward, all up in front of a firing squad by Friday.

With Woodward nothing surprises me.
    Absolute gobdaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Wrong.

They just have.

United have pulled out?! Haven't heard that yet.. thought it was Chelsea, City and Athletico maybe so far?
    Are you getting your Manchester clubs mixed up?

This sentence just isn't true.

They are changing the format and as part of that making sure the big name teams have a much higher chance of qualification. Man U could finish 10th in the PL and deny the 6th place team any European place while they swan into the CL.

They are also adding more games etc, but it is 100% designed so that the biggest profit making teams are always in the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Why is there any need to do this with existing clubs? With the kind of cash they're offering why not just start a global mega league from scratch with new teams with cool names for the kidz?

Primarily because the EPL (and major Euro teams) have a fairly unassailable brand value in these international markets. Hong Kong alone shells out something like ~100m per year for EPL rights.

They are changing the format and as part of that making sure the big name teams have a much higher chance of qualification. Man U could finish 10th in the PL and deny the 6th place team any European place while they swan into the CL.

They are also adding more games etc, but it is 100% designed so that the biggest profit making teams are always in the comp.

So what happens if 4 of the biggest teams don't make it? Who are the biggest teams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I reckon City and Chelsea were first to learn that the FAI had condemned the Super League idea, and knew the plan was doomed.

United have pulled out?! Haven't heard that yet.. thought it was Chelsea, City and Athletico maybe so far?
    Are you getting your Manchester clubs mixed up?

Confusion about it, but a late night call of the 12 Chief Execs is to happen this evening. Thatll be the nail in the coffin.

Of course none of those execs can remain in their jobs now. Gross incompetence on all their parts.

So what happens if 4 of the biggest teams don't make it? Who are the biggest teams?

The chances of that happening are absolutely tiny.

What is the rationale for having extra places and not simply making them competitively available to a European league?

Ed Woodward off the end of the plank.

Its so delicious.

The chances of that happening are absolutely tiny.

You mustn't watch much football if you think all the top sides qualify every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So 'ready, fire, aim' seems not to be the best way to go about launching a new European super league. Who knew? And just how stupid do JP Morgan look now?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ed Woodward off the end of the plank.

Its so delicious.

https://twitter.com/EdWoodwardCEO/status/1384585119554547712?s=20

How United fans managed to somehow end up with a net positive from all this is unbelievable.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So 'ready, fire, aim' seems not to be the best way to go about launching a new European super league. Who knew? And just how stupid do JP Morgan look now?

Depending on how far agreements had gone, JPM could sue some of these characters out of existence.

Agnelli resigned from Juve. Peréz under fire at Madrid too.

Talk of the Glaziers planning on selling the club also

I haven't heard anyone calling for the head of Matthew Collecot yet

• Advertisement

You mustn't watch much football if you think all the top sides qualify every year.

I don't particularly.

Also the entire point is that sometimes all the top sides don't qualify. But they want to make it so that unless there is a scenario where at least 3 of the top sides don't qualify they are all in there anyway. And that is pretty bloody rare.

Unless I have wildly misunderstood the format change which is possible.

Agnelli resigned from Juve. Peréz under fire at Madrid too.

If anything good comes from this, it will be the exit of these billionaire owners. All they've done is cost fans money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Depending on how far agreements had gone, JPM could sue some of these characters out of existence.
    I doubt they left themselves open to this given the speculative nature of the project. I also doubt much money has been spent at this early stage. Just a lot of red faces and you can't sue for that.

I haven't heard anyone calling for the head of Matthew Collecot yet

Been plenty of backlash at ENIC as a whole, but you're right in that it's mostly being focused at Levy.

But I think that's more due to the way Levy operates in that he tends to stamp his name all over stuff as opposed to the likes of Woodward being the mouthpiece for the Glaziers

If anything good comes from this, it will be the exit of these billionaire owners. All they've done is cost fans money.

Who do you think is going to buy the clubs?

It's a blessing that poor Malcolm is no longer with us and doesn't have to watch, as his lifelong love and devotion to Manchester United is ruined by his sons......

I don't particularly.

Also the entire point is that sometimes all the top sides don't qualify. But they want to make it so that unless there is a scenario where at least 3 of the top sides don't qualify they are all in there anyway. And that is pretty bloody rare.

Unless I have wildly misunderstood the format change which is possible.

Not sometimes, all the time. It's also a pretty silly argument as there's no metric to what decides if a club is a top club or not. Villa are one of the relatively few teams to have won a European Cup in the past. Are they a top side? City, Arsenal or Spurs have never won one, why are they top sides? Barcelona are regarded as one of the richest clubs in the World and yet they're over €1 billion in debt and in serious trouble.

I don't agree with this new idea of giving 2 teams who haven't qualified on merit a place, and hopefully they change it before it comes in (not until 2024). But to say the whole reorganisation was done to ensure the top teams are in it, is in my opinion, wide of the mark.

Reports Woodward has gone!!

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I doubt they left themselves open to this given the speculative nature of the project. I also doubt much money has been spent at this early stage. Just a lot of red faces and you can't sue for that.

It's being reported that contracts have been signed. If true, this will almost certainly end up in Court.

• Advertisement

Who do you think is going to buy the clubs?

Personally I think they should go down the German club route. Fans owning 50% + 1 share and the rest can be bought by whoever.

Advertisement