Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's being reported that contracts have been signed. If true, this will almost certainly end up in Court.
    I don't doubt contracts were signed. But I'd be very surprised if those contracts didn't have exit clauses and were heavily hedged.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not sometimes, all the time. It's also a pretty silly argument as there's no metric to what decides if a club is a top club or not. Villa are one of the relatively few teams to have won a European Cup in the past. Are they a top side? City, Arsenal or Spurs have never won one, why are they top sides? Barcelona are regarded as one of the richest clubs in the World and yet they're over €1 billion in debt and in serious trouble.

I don't agree with this new idea of giving 2 teams who haven't qualified on merit a place, and hopefully they change it before it comes in (not until 2024). But to say the whole reorganisation was done to ensure the top teams are in it, is in my opinion, wide of the mark.

A "top club" is one who brings in ****loads of revenue. Obviously that is not Villa.

They do not want a scenario of a CL without Man United because they bring in lots of revenue abroad. Therefore they have set up a new system where one bad league campaign won't stop them being in the competition. Even without this superleague thing they are making steps towards tilting the competition wildly towards the big name sides. Superleague just went a step (or several to be fair) too far.

They are not going to change the new process because they don't want a repeat of the scenario where one of the big selling teams aren't in the competition.

Personally I think they should go down the German club route. Fans owning 50% + 1 share and the rest can be bought by whoever.

Unless "the fans" have several billion to spare that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Podge_irl wrote: »

I think you just list it right? As a PLC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Can't see many billionaires queuing up to buy the clubs now. Hopefully they have to sell at a huge loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

That's unfortunately very true....if United is sold, we're looking at an oil rich Saudi ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can't see many billionaires queuing up to buy the clubs now. Hopefully they have to sell at a huge loss.

There'll be plenty of Sheiks/Oil barrons lining up to take over a club like United unfortunately.

The UAE/Qatar/Saudis etc have been absolutely flinging quid around lately for sportwashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There'll be plenty of Sheiks/Oil barrons lining up to take over a club like United unfortunately.

The UAE/Qatar/Saudis etc have been absolutely flinging quid around lately for sportwashing.

And this goes back to a point I made previously.

Soccer is absolutely filthy. Like, I genuinely can't think of a more corrupt system. (Germans possibly aside). So the fury at this proposed league, and how it would disrupt some noble, fair, honest, status-quo, it's just fantasy.

Neil3030 wrote: »

Soccer is absolutely filthy. Like, I genuinely can't think of a more corrupt system. (Germans possibly aside). So the fury at this proposed league, and how it would disrupt some noble, fair, honest, status-quo, it's just fantasy.

Would argue Formula 1 is as bad, courtesy of Bernie Ecclestone but that's a different argument for another day.

But yeah I read Wolves statement criticising the league and it kept mentioning how Fosun bought the club because of the history and the respect they have for the current system and competition etc.

This is a Chinese investment company that had their previous CEO arrested and detained over corruption charges, and their co-founder was involved in creating a network of buying and selling young players just for profitd alongside Jorge Mendes

That's not what the fury was about though, as I said before. It was the idea that these clubs wanted a closed shop based on no merit whatsoever. People were never going to allow that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I doubt they left themselves open to this given the speculative nature of the project. I also doubt much money has been spent at this early stage. Just a lot of red faces and you can't sue for that.

You most certainly can.

Causing reputational damage through incompetence that affects investor confidence and the value of the entity. See you in Court.

That's not what the fury was about though, as I said before. It was the idea that these clubs wanted a closed shop based on no merit whatsoever. People were never going to allow that.

Well the good news is that their wonderfully egalitarian, transparent, ethically-financed meritocracy shall continue unabated for the foreseeable future!

Chauvin verdict incoming...

The aftershocks of this will be considerable.

Out of sheer populism, Boris could well try and legislate for the kind of system they have in Germany, that a majority of Club shares must remain with fans. And as Britain is out of the EU, the Clubs would have no recourse to anti-competitive laws in Brussels.

Will be very interesting to see what happens the shares of these clubs on the markets tomorrow morning

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Chauvin verdict incoming...

Whatever the verdict, its 100% guaranteed to be appealed

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Whatever the verdict, its 100% guaranteed to be appealed

It is, but criminal appeals are not massively successful. It's not a new trial.

Well the good news is that their wonderfully egalitarian, transparent, ethically-financed meritocracy shall continue unabated for the foreseeable future!

Well that's a completely different issue.

It is, but criminal appeals are not massively successful. It's not a new trial.

May appeal on the grounds of not sequestering the jury, given Rep. Waters's comments over the weekend.

May appeal on the grounds of not sequestering the jury, given Rep. Waters's comments over the weekend.

Sure, but that's probably still a reach (and that was stupid). Even then its a retrial and the prosecution case was good.

But its important to note that an appeal is never about re-trying the case. The facts decided in the original trial are viewed as facts. Its about making sure there was no point in law error in the judgement and case. Its a high bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Guilty on all counts. I didn't think the yanks would do it.

• Advertisement

For a man just convicted on all counts, he doesn't look too perturbed.

Teferi wrote: »
    Guilty on all counts. I didn't think the yanks would do it.

Just hope and pray the jurors are allowed to remain anonymous and some absolute arsehole doesn't dox them.

Because there'll be a lot of angry rednecks and racists after tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Just hope and pray the jurors are allowed to remain anonymous and some absolute arsehole doesn't dox them.

Because there'll be a lot of angry rednecks and racists after tonight.

At least there is a small consolation that Trump isn't president

For a man just convicted on all counts, he doesn't look too perturbed.

Ask any copper. The one that actually did do something, never looks perturbed, always sleeps while in custody. They know the game is up.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Agnelli resigned from Juve. Peréz under fire at Madrid too.

Talk of the Glaziers planning on selling the club also

Madrid is a little different, their president is elected and to stand for election you need to pump massive amounts of money in. You also have to have been a member for like 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

That was a highly entertaining 48 hours of football drama. Rugby take note. Especially wealthy owners of French clubs etc.

Not sure who showed more misjudgement TBH. Me thinking Neil3030 was a Leinster fan or the big 12. Probably me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's disturbing that these clubs thought they were aove the game. Imagine if Chelsea where to be relegated and still guaranteed fixtures against the likes of Inter Milan! Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How do you both murder and manslaughter someone? Is it not one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

In this day and age should it not be personslaughter...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think it’ll ultimately be considered together when it comes to sentencing. Same with the 3rd degree murder charge.

Advertisement