Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The winning song was terrible. Looked like one of them was caught snorting a line on TV too

https://www.thejournal.ie/maneskin-members-deny-doing-cocaine-5445698-May2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

b.gud wrote: »
    Does anyone know was the song completely rubbish or was it a bit more of a "political" thing because of Brexit?

Definitely the latter.

Big Phil heading for his 6th major, at the grand age of 50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

b.gud wrote: »
    Does anyone know was the song completely rubbish or was it a bit more of a "political" thing because of Brexit?

Not a rubbish song but just not what Eurovision is about any more, just like our entry.

Brexit isn't relevant because a heap of countries aren't even in the EU. Why would the Georgian or Azerbaijani juries care if the UK left the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not a rubbish song but just not what Eurovision is about any more, just like our entry.

Brexit isn't relevant because a heap of countries aren't even in the EU. Why would the Georgian or Azerbaijani juries care if the UK left the EU?

They wouldn't be relevant either way unless it was a particularly good song. The UK missed out on a heap of votes from Western countries they would have got in the past because of the current mood, no doubt. The vast majority of Eurovision songs aren't my bag at all but even I think the song they entered didn't deserve 0 points, there was some unbelievable ****e in there that picked up the odd few pity points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It is "nil points" au francais.

It isn't though, or anything like it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bazzo wrote: »
    They wouldn't be relevant either way unless it was a particularly good song. The UK missed out on a heap of votes from Western countries they would have got in the past because of the current mood, no doubt. The vast majority of Eurovision songs aren't my bag at all but even I think the song they entered didn't deserve 0 points, there was some unbelievable ****e in there that picked up the odd few pity points.

To marry the Brexit and Eurovision themes further, Amanda Holden dropped a clanger that just came across completely un-self-aware and insular:

https://twitter.com/DrClaireH/status/1396349670708981760

I think it comes from the French points giver, speaking in English in years gone by, and their pronunciation sounding half English half French.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its not that far off

nil point is "point nul" isnt it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Advertisement

I think it comes from the French points giver, speaking in English in years gone by, and their pronunciation sounding half English half French.

Nah they never announced zero points for anyone. Imagine how long it would take if they did.

I don't know where it arose, but I don't think any Eurovision announcer ever actually said 'nul points'. Some tabloid headline is my guess.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nah they never announced zero points for anyone. Imagine how long it would take if they did.

I don't know where it arose, but I don't think any Eurovision announcer ever actually said 'nul points'. Some tabloid headline is my guess.

Big fan of Eurovision FFF?

awec wrote: »

Love it.

It combines my main passions of flamboyant theatrics and virulent xenophobia.

Imagine Nigel Farage performing in an amateur production of The Birdcage - that was me on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

awec wrote: »

I heard he lies awake at night wishing he could be Moldovan sax guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

Imagine Nigel Farage performing in an amateur production of The Birdcage - that was me on Saturday night.

That's very very good . I doff my cap.

It was Eurovsion related but back in the 70s, though not known/confirmed if it was actually read out that way or came into being outside of the show.

https://wordhistories.net/2017/01/10/nul-points/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Love it.

It combines my main passions of flamboyant theatrics and virulent xenophobia.

If you like the Eurovision, you'll love this thread. For those not interested, this guy breaks down what exactly makes for a winning song from a musical standpoint.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its not that far off

nil point is "point nul" isnt it

No, it's 'zéro points' but it's not even as though the announcers give out 0 points to anyone, they just don't mention the countries that don't score.

Do people say 'nil point' in English rather than 'no points' or 'zero points' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

No, it's 'zéro points' but it's not even as though the announcers give out 0 points to anyone, they just don't mention the countries that don't score.

Do people say 'nil point' in English rather than 'no points' or 'zero points' ?

Grammar nerd alert. It’s zéro point. Singular in French.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The winning song was not very Eurovision either, I thought. It looked like an Italian Village People tribute act covering something from early Stone Temple Pilots. Not saying you don't get these discordant atrocities frequently in the competition (hell, it's why I watch it whenever I can), but they rarely ever get into double digit points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Do Eurovision artists get any commercial traction after Eurovision? Obviously ABBA, but it seems that in the last 15-20 years they are mostly novelty acts that quickly fade into obscurity.

As a self-contained show, I understand the appeal, but I also completely understand why a serious artist/band would not want to associated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

From Wikipedia
    The first zero points in Eurovision were scored in 1962, under a new voting system. When a country finishes with a score of zero, it is often referred to in English-language media as nul points or nil points, albeit incorrectly. Grammatical French for "no points" is pas de points or zéro point, but none of these phrases are used in the contest; before 2016's voting overhaul, no-point scores were not announced by the presenters. Following the change in the voting system, a country receiving no points from the public voting is announced as receiving "zero points".[23]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

hahashake wrote: »
    Do Eurovision artists get any commercial traction after Eurovision? Obviously ABBA, but it seems that in the last 15-20 years they are mostly novelty acts that quickly fade into obscurity.

As a self-contained show, I understand the appeal, but I also completely understand why a serious artist/band would not want to associated with it.

To a certain degree we are still stuck with Jedward and they didn’t even win it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

hahashake wrote: »

Don't think the Eurovision happened last year, but this was Iceland's enter and was favourite to win. Banger.

https://youtu.be/VFZNvj-HfBU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

dregin wrote: »
    Don't think the Eurovision happened last year, but this was Iceland's enter and was favourite to win. Banger.

https://youtu.be/VFZNvj-HfBU

That's been added to my likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Australia really has it all.

If you don't like mice, don't click the link...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Watching the BBC docu “Gods of Snooker”. It’s pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Watching the BBC docu “Gods of Snooker”. It’s pretty decent.

Enjoyed it myself. Bar Ronnie there's not a single player now with a bit of spark or madness. Just robots who turn up, play and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mfceiling wrote: »
    Enjoyed it myself. Bar Ronnie there's not a single player now with a bit of spark or madness. Just robots who turn up, play and go home.

John Higgins might disagree with that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Any recommendations for artificial grass and patio installation in Dublin?

Advertisement