Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ?? he pulled out of the competition !!

he wasnt trying to play the competition and refusing to do media work

or is there some other situation you are implicitly referring to that hasnt been widely reported?

Um, he literally is playing the competition, which starts today. He pulled out of the pro-am, which is a sponsor's obligation, and the press conference, also presumably a contractual obligation. I presume Piers Morgan and many others will be swift to pile on...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Zzippy wrote: »
    Um, he literally is playing the competition, which starts today. He pulled out of the pro-am, which is a sponsor's obligation, and the press conference, also presumably a contractual obligation. I presume Piers Morgan and many others will be swift to pile on...

Maybe he discussed it with them instead of announcing it on twitter and then ignoring them.

Morgan is an insufferable twat and his views are not relevant to anything ever. If you think he should be fired out of a cannon into the sun I'm happy to agree with you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sweet jesus this stuff isn't hard....

He pulled out of the pro am (a competition in itself) and didn't do the associates press conference.

Didn't play the competition, didn't do the press.

He's playing in the memorial trophy and IS doing the media.

Osaka wanted to play the competition and NOT DO the media.

Do you at all see the difference here???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I don’t think Osaka handled it great but the pile on is disgusting. As already said people are encouraged to speak about mental health, elite athlete does and is rewarded in this fashion.

She’s 23 and lives under an intense spotlight, anyone who didn’t something dumb in their early 20s is free to criticise.

I'm completely missing this supposed pile-on (and I'm excluding f*cking Piers Morgan from this as of course he is piling on).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Sweet jesus this stuff isn't hard....

He pulled out of the pro am (a competition in itself) and didn't do the associates press conference.

Didn't play the competition, didn't do the press.

He's playing in the memorial trophy and IS doing the media.

Osaka wanted to play the competition and NOT DO the media.

Do you at all see the difference here???

Semantics.

The pro-am is not a competition, it's a sponsor's day associated with the tournament. It's an integral part of the tournament and is supposedly a contractual obligation, otherwise players would skip playing with wealthy bankers and get more time on the range. He is playing the actual competition but chose to skip part of his contracted duties. No reaction. Osaka wanted to skip media duties and was told she wasn't allowed. So she pulled out, and received a torrent of abuse even though she specified she had mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Gotta hold my hand up here on one thing.

There I was, thinking to myself, "I wonder if Piers Morgan used terms similar to "petulant little madam" to describe Alex Ferguson, when he refused to talk to the BBC for most of the naughties...."

However, turns out, he pretty much did:

"He's petty to the point of puerility; witness the pathetic on-going ban he has imposed on the entire BBC, after Panorama investigated his son..."

So I think we can all agree... he's still a complete <word removed to stay in line with charter... rhymes with... bunt>.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Runt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Runt?

Punt. C'mon man, this is the rugby forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Semantics.

The pro-am is not a competition, it's a sponsor's day associated with the tournament. It's an integral part of the tournament and is supposedly a contractual obligation, otherwise players would skip playing with wealthy bankers and get more time on the range. He is playing the actual competition but chose to skip part of his contracted duties. No reaction. Osaka wanted to skip media duties and was told she wasn't allowed. So she pulled out, and received a torrent of abuse even though she specified she had mental health issues.

Maybe people learned from the Osaka story? Like, would it have been better if there had been a load of outrage about McIlroy? Or is it better that people might have taken a minute to think? So we should be glad that it went under the radar.

But the more likely explanation is no one gives a shyte about a Pro-Am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

They'd give a ****e fairly quickly if every golfer stopped doing it.

I think it's also largely to do with how much more valuable Osaka is (relative to her cohort) than McIroy. Osaka earned more last year than any other woman athlete in history, and her home market is an incredibly valuable market in an Olympic year. Sure there are one or two other global superstars in her sport. But golf has lots of superstars. So plenty of people who are willing to step up and shake hands at a proam if Rory isn't arsed.

Here ultimately no sports star only gets paid for what they do on the pitch or the court. If they did their wages would be whatever the hourly rate for skilled manual labour happened to be in their country, and there'd be no reason for Christiano Ronaldo to get paid anymore than the world's best lacrosse player.

Some sports stars do opt out as much as possible. Mike Trout is probably the greatest baseball player to ever live, he famously does almost no publicity. Some people do give him ****, but a lot of people celebrate him for it. There is a famous Marshawn Lynch interview where he answers every question with "I'm only here because I'd be fined if I didn't show" or something.

Osaka wasn't asking to never do it again, she just wanted a break. Ultimately the French open have a bit of history of treating women stars like ****, remember they banned Serenas Post pregnancy tennis attire. If you think Osaka and not the organisers of the French open are in the wrong here, then ask yourself who was more vulnerable, who was more powerful, who won in the end and who really should have known better to begin with in order to prevent this all happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

But the more likely explanation is no one gives a shyte about a Pro-Am.

Apart from the sponsors and organisers and rich people. You know, the people that really really matter.

It's a classic tragedy of the commons really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

OldRio wrote: »
    Apart from the sponsors and organisers and rich people. You know, the people that really really matter.

That's the exactly the point though. Some stockbroker didn't get the chance to shoot 9 holes with Rory McIlroy and Jimmy Fallon, and people are questioning why there wasn't the same level of attention as the world number 2 pulling out of a major?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

That's the exactly the point though. Some stockbroker didn't get the chance to shoot 9 holes with Rory McIlroy and Jimmy Fallon, and people are questioning why there wasn't the same level of attention as the world number 2 pulling out of a major?!

I thought it was more to do with the attitude of organisers of the competitions?

Yeah the point is the organisers could have given Rory ****, escalated it into something it wasn't. Until he decided to just pull out of the whole event. But instead they were like "no biggie, you don't have to do this stupid banal sponsor / press hack side gig, you can just play" and he was fine.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Osaka wasn't asking to never do it again, she just wanted a break.

By all accounts she didn't ask anything. She announced it publicly and then would not answer contacts from the organisation. And this wasn't one press conference, it was press for the rest of the tournament.

Also several comments from other players were clear that they consider the press part of the job and being able to skip it a completive advantage. On a sporting fairness level it wouldn't be right to let her play while not doing it all tournament. And her sister's comments certainly support the idea that she thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That’s because McIlroy clearly has the option of choosing not to do that part of the weeks activities without much penalty. So he didn’t have to pull out of the competition

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Also several comments from other players were clear that they consider the press part of the job and being able to skip it a completive advantage.

Lol. This is tennis, a sport where people often choose to compete in both Doubles and Singles at the same tournament.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Lol. This is tennis, a sport where people often choose to compete in both Doubles and Singles at the same tournament.

and? not sure of the relevance of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Gotta hold my hand up here on one thing.

There I was, thinking to myself, "I wonder if Piers Morgan used terms similar to "petulant little madam" to describe Alex Ferguson, when he refused to talk to the BBC for most of the naughties...."

However, turns out, he pretty much did:

"He's petty to the point of puerility; witness the pathetic on-going ban he has imposed on the entire BBC, after Panorama investigated his son..."

So I think we can all agree... he's still a complete <word removed to stay in line with charter... rhymes with... bunt>.

Boris Bank manager?:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Highly recommend the Bo Burnham special 'Inside' on Netflix. It's not your usual comedy special, but it has blown me away. Produced on his own, in a single room and is just a brilliant piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

I'm watching with interest, Trevor Ringland's appointment as special envoy to America, massive appointment for him

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Poor fastly SRE. Pretty amazing to see how many major websites have them as a single point of failure with what looks like no failover option. Github, I'm looking at you.

dregin wrote: »
    Poor fastly SRE. Pretty amazing to see how many major websites have them as a single point of failure with what looks like no failover option. Github, I'm looking at you.

“Degraded Performance” according to their status page, makes me feel less bad if we ever use that as a catch all term for an outage again!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

dregin wrote: »

You'd think they'd all have learnt from the last cloudflare outage but apparently not.

engineer: It's not DNS
    5 hours
    narrator: It was DNS

You'd think they'd all have learnt from the last cloudflare outage but apparently not.

To be fair, a redundant CDN isn’t that trivial. It may not be worth the cost or you may have a plan that isn’t feasible to enact quicker than it took Fastly to put that fix in place.

To be fair, a redundant CDN isn’t that trivial. It may not be worth the cost or you may have a plan that isn’t feasible to enact quicker than it took Fastly to put that fix in place.

Cost shouldn't really come into it for the likes of github and twitter (their fnucking emoji's are behind it?!)

I hope they do a decent post mortem for it. It'd also be nice if they avoided the Salesforce "engineer meets underside of bus" approach... https://www.theregister.com/AMP/2021/05/19/salesforce_root_cause/

• Advertisement

Always enjoy a good marvel movie, thought Wandavision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier were average enough but Loki seems very promising, quite liked the first episode.

Advertisement