Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I still rate Italy to win. Germany are fairly muck at the moment. It’s a monkey off the back for England. In theory they have a dream draw to the final: 2 of Sweden, Ukraine, Czech Republic and Denmark. If they can’t make a final with those teams then it’s their own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

England did very well today.... Sterling is getting some stick in the press about him being a makeweight in any Man City deal for Kane ....tbh ..Kane is muck this championship and should be on the bench for a game or so, see if he can rediscover his mojo.
    The youngsters could be the winning of this tournament of Southgate let's them loose.... Mount, Rashford, Bellingham, Sancho & Foden....a cracking bunch of players who could carry England all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    I watched the walking dead until the season where they were at the prison and then I just gave up. It seemed to go on forever.

It’s gone 11 seasons with enough content for 5. The pacing after about the third season is brutal, totally drawn out.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    It is just smoke and mirrors to get the 20s group vaccinated. Numbers of people in the 30-40 group refusing any vaccine getting larger each week. They needed an incentive to increase the uptake and hence the story that's being spouted.

Any factual information to back this up?

stephen_n wrote: »
    Any factual information to back this up?

He's not wrong unfortunately, I know quite a lot of people who are not getting vaccinated and have no intention of doing so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I don't know a single person who doesn't intend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I don't think I'll bother with the vaccine.

He's not wrong unfortunately, I know quite a lot of people who are not getting vaccinated and have no intention of doing so

Well that’s not factual, that’s anecdotal. I barely know anyone who is not taking it. The only data I have seen so far suggests we have one of the highest uptakes in Europe. With up to 90% of the eligible cohorts down to 50 years old taking the vaccine. I kept hearing stories that the over 60’s weren’t taking it, yet 90% of them did. So with this, I’ll believe it when I see the data to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Polling doesn’t support the idea there’s high vaccine hesitancy anyway.

And we’re at 60+% with a vaccine and still only registering 35+ year olds, so there’s clearly strong interest.

If it takes some sort of hospitality pass coupled with the travel certificate system to convince these people to protect themselves and those around them then maybe that’s for the best

stephen_n wrote: »
    Well that’s not factual, that’s anecdotal. I barely know anyone who is not taking it. The only data I have seen so far suggests we have one of the highest uptakes in Europe. With up to 90% of the eligible cohorts down to 50 years old taking the vaccine. I kept hearing stories that the over 60’s weren’t taking it, yet 90% of them did. So with this, I’ll believe it when I see the data to back it up.

Would you like me to name names or something?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I don't think I'll bother with the vaccine.

Sure you will

9. Gibson Park
    10. Sexton
    11. Lowe
    12. Henshaw
    13. Pfizer vaccine
    14. Larmour
    15. Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Polling doesn’t support the idea there’s high vaccine hesitancy anyway.

And we’re at 60+% with a vaccine and still only registering 35+ year olds, so there’s clearly strong interest.

If it takes some sort of hospitality pass coupled with the travel certificate system to convince these people to protect themselves and those around them then maybe that’s for the best

Ooooh. I like it IBF.

"Hospitality pass, or a Hospital pass, which do you want"?

Sell that to the HSE's PR department and send me my 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I was in a hotel on Saturday night past and it was lovely to be back to a kind of normality. Restaurant was packed, tables nicely distanced and people using their masks to leave the table or go to the bathroom.
    I just hope to god that in 2 weeks time we don't get another fresh restriction. The hospitality industry must be on their knees at this stage.

I've also booked a holiday for the 3rd week in August. Flights and accommodation are refundable or transferable so no real risk. Need something to look forward to after nearly 2 years of this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mfceiling wrote: »
    I was in a hotel on Saturday night past and it was lovely to be back to a kind of normality. Restaurant was packed, tables nicely distanced and people using their masks to leave the table or go to the bathroom.
    I just hope to god that in 2 weeks time we don't get another fresh restriction. The hospitality industry must be on their knees at this stage.

I've also booked a holiday for the 3rd week in August. Flights and accommodation are refundable or transferable so no real risk. Need something to look forward to after nearly 2 years of this.

Where are you off to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't know a single person who doesn't intend to.

Well they surely have greatest incentive! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Would you like me to name names or something?!

Unless you can list enough names to be statistically significant I really don't think there's any point, is there? Stephen is basically saying you don't have national data that can back up what you are saying. A few names wouldn't change that.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Unless you can list enough names to be statistically significant I really don't think there's any point, is there? Stephen is basically saying you don't have national data that can back up what you are saying. A few names wouldn't change that.

You can't prove a negative though.
    There have been studies by NUIG showing 10% hesitancy, up to 20% in younger women.
    Orla Muldoon in The Times had an article saying that vaccine hesitancy was looking to be an issue with only 50% of people believing what the HSE & the government were telling us about vaccines.
    We can't know the full non -vaccinated numbers until the vaccination program is finished, but I wouldn't be as unwaveringly positive as some of you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Where are you off to?

Santorini.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mfceiling wrote: »
    Santorini.

Noice

There have been studies by NUIG showing 10% hesitancy, up to 20% in younger women.
    Orla Muldoon in The Times had an article saying that vaccine hesitancy was looking to be an issue with only 50% of people believing what the HSE & the government were telling us about vaccines.
    We can't know the full non -vaccinated numbers until the vaccination program is finished, but I wouldn't be as unwaveringly positive as some of you
    Over 80 years of age, 98 per cent of eligible people have taken it; 70-79 year olds took it in their droves, 95 per cent; 60-69 year olds – we were worried because it was the AstraZeneca vaccine – almost 90 per cent uptake,” he said. “And so it is with 50-59 years olds, and so on right down.”

That’s from the Times, the official data for uptake. So whatever Orla Muldoon is basing her opinion on. It is not supported by evidence.

Though that would suggest there may well be a 10% hesitancy. Anything from 80% up should guarantee herd immunity. So 10% of people excluding themselves won’t be a huge issue. Except of course for their socializing I would imagine.

• Advertisement

A Quiet Place 2 is very enjoyable. Two excellent films.

Looking forward to seeing that one all right.

10% hesitancy is tiny. Mainly because hesitancy doesn't mean a hard and fast no. Some of those will take the vaccine.

The young women thing is a known. The impacts on pregnancies and reproductive health are unknown, which will clearly have a big impact on uptake, at least until more data has been compiled and the i.pacts of the vaccine become known for that cohort.

There isn't much in those 2 figures to make anyone raise an eyebrow. I've no idea where Orla Muldoons got her figures, but it doesn't tally with the uptake we've seen to date or those NUIG figures. We're over 40% now on their first jab and have ony just started on people in their 30s. We're doing fine by all available metrics.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,545 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Slightly less tentative than the first, but a great middle to the story.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Slightly less tentative than the first, but a great middle to the story.

Opening 10 minutes were phenomenal.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,545 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Opening 10 minutes were phenomenal.

Something I think they can expand on in the third chapter

Found this a useful read in relation to the delta variant and why there is still a high level of concern.

https://twitter.com/CillianDeGascun/status/1410007665258946566

• Administrators Posts: 53,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What's interesting about this delay is that we have an excellent control case in NI that will show us whether or not NPHETs modelling is in any way accurate.

If NPHET are correct, things in NI are going to get very grim over the next few months. I will watch with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What's interesting about this delay is that we have an excellent control case in NI that will show us whether or not NPHETs modelling is in any way accurate.

If NPHET are correct, things in NI are going to get very grim over the next few months. I will watch with interest.

The case rate in the UK has gone from ~50 to ~240 over the course of June already and it’s still accelerating

• Advertisement

There was a report in one of the papers predicting 1000 cases a day by August. So if that comes to pass, it will be similar to the height of infections last December. What will be more interesting to see is wether the link with hospitalization and severe infection are broken by the vaccine. As a huge proportion of the North’s population is already vaccinated twice.

Advertisement