Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Clegg wrote: »
    Vice on Abbey Street was my local coffee shop before the lockdowns began. Think it was €3.30 for a flat white/latte/americano. It's pretty much the standard price for any barista made coffee I think.

Vice has moved (for now) to Clanbrassil St, up by the canal.

Their Vietnamese Ice coffee is spectacular on a hot day.

3fe, Grove Road, Project Black, Legit, Shoe Lane, Brew Town are my gotos. I'd probably expect to pay 3.50 for a flat white at any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dime in Ranelagh is quite good for a coffee.

The Old Barracks in Birdhill is worth a visit if you're ever in the area: https://theoldbarracks.ie/ I haven't found a better coffee in Ireland. You pay for it (€4) but the backdrop of the Clare hills makes it worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Am I the only person left on the planet who doesn't drink coffee (excepting Irish coffee of course) ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bazzo wrote: »
    Am I the only person left on the planet who doesn't drink coffee (excepting Irish coffee of course) ?

Nah, I very rarely touch the stuff.

Oodles of tea though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had bubble tea for the first time recently

It was vile

• Advertisement

One of my mates doesn't. Unless its an Espresso Martini.

He gets a hot chocolate in solidarity when he can though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Nope, don't drink coffee, milk or tae.......my body is a beer swilling, whiskey guzzling temple!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,545 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I never drank coffee till I went to work in Holland in the summer of 95.

At break time, after hours of sorting flower bulbs indoors in a papersuit in the height of a Dutch summer, I would have drank anything. All they had was strong coffee, with "coffee milk".....

Came home addicted to the stuff

Euro 2020 in Scotland has been linked to almost 2000 cases of Covid amongst football fans ...I wonder what the English cases will be..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Euro 2020 in Scotland has been linked to almost 2000 cases of Covid amongst football fans ...I wonder what the English cases will be..
    34% of those cases came from pubs.

E5IIIGxWYAYdw2m?format=png&name=900x900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,659 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »

3fe, Grove Road, Project Black, Legit, Shoe Lane, Brew Town are my gotos. I'd probably expect to pay 3.50 for a flat white at any of them.

Baste BBQ, the restaurant they're after setting up in is also unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Don't drink tea or coffee either.

Now a good coffee stout on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Shoe Lane on Tara Street is my other local coffee shop! Vice doubles as a bar as well so it's an excellent after work spot too.

I think they've reopened recently on Abbey Street but are keeping the Clanbrassil St location going.

Speaking of coffee, food and pints.

I recently (bragging here) managed to buy an apartment in Dublin 8, which was a horrific process but I am incredibly glad to be done.

Anyone have any recommendations for food, drink, caffeine, or other random odds and ends in the Liberties / D8 sort of area?

Potentially silly Covid question here, but given the rate of infection of Delta is there a concern that reopening now would see that run rampant in the community and lead to a far greater likelihood of another variant? And with increasing transmissability and a more virulent virus the likely outcome for that, the risk and groups at risk could shift? Reduce how much its being transmitted, reduce the risk of variants, reduce the risk of wider sections of the society becoming sick etc etc?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Potentially silly Covid question here, but given the rate of infection of Delta is there a concern that reopening now would see that run rampant in the community and lead to a far greater likelihood of another variant?

While this is technically true, the reality is that there are large parts of the world where the delta variant is absolutely rampant and the populations are far far larger. It doesn't really make a difference where a new variant emerges. So while we could reduce the chances of us creating a new variant, we would have very little material on the chances of new varients emerging.

While this is technically true, the reality is that there are large parts of the world where the delta variant is absolutely rampant and the populations are far far larger. It doesn't really make a difference where a new variant emerges. So while we could reduce the chances of us creating a new variant, we would have very little material on the chances of new varients emerging.

Yeah, should have phrased that better. That's what I meant. Control what you can basically...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I recently (bragging here) managed to buy an apartment in Dublin 8, which was a horrific process but I am incredibly glad to be done.

Anyone have any recommendations for food, drink, caffeine, or other random odds and ends in the Liberties / D8 sort of area?

Two bars I always quite liked were Lucky's and 57 The Headline when they were open. Two Pups and the Fumbally are 2 incredibly hispter cafe's, but I've rarely seen a hipster with a bad coffee. Well wear with the purchase, as they say.

Potentially silly Covid question here, but given the rate of infection of Delta is there a concern that reopening now would see that run rampant in the community and lead to a far greater likelihood of another variant? And with increasing transmissability and a more virulent virus the likely outcome for that, the risk and groups at risk could shift? Reduce how much its being transmitted, reduce the risk of variants, reduce the risk of wider sections of the society becoming sick etc etc?

This was one of Tomas Ryan's points. More virus = more likelihood of more variants. On the flip side, it is believed that the spanish flu mutated into a benign version and that's what made it disappear.

Two Pups is a good spot for coffee alright. And it's just down the road from Drop Dead Twice which is a decent hipstery bar on Francis Street. There's also a 3FE on Clanbrassil street iirc. As well as Vice Coffee and Baste BBQ.

What part of D8 are you in Errlloyd? If it's the South Circular part the Headline Bar is a very good pub. And if you wanted to go a bit further there's a lot of good spots in Rathmines which is in walking distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This is true, but a vaccine escaping variant emerging anywhere will surely see them cut off from all travel for a very long time. It would be extremely devastating.

And it’s just the smart thing to protect against as a global citizen. But yeah it’s definitely more likely to come out of places with much bigger populations with far less control

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My usual coffee haunt is up@brews in terenure rugby club. Ran by Harrison Brewer (lucky choice of surname).

Sound lad for those of you who don't know him and he's reasonably priced for the coffee hit. 3 quid on the flat white and 2.50 for an americano. Plus you get to shoot the breeze about the rugby when you're there.

The coffee trailer this morning is on my doorstep but they dirtied their bib with me on the prices. To be fair the coffee is good but we're slipping into 2 pints price territory here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This is true, but a vaccine escaping variant emerging anywhere will surely see them cut off from all travel for a very long time. It would be extremely devastating.

And it’s just the smart thing to protect against as a global citizen. But yeah it’s definitely more likely to come out of places with much bigger populations with far less control
    Didn't the Kent variant come from a much smaller population than Delta? I know it centred in the UK, but still a relatively small population.

This was one of Tomas Ryan's points. More virus = more likelihood of more variants. On the flip side, it is believed that the spanish flu mutated into a benign version and that's what made it disappear.

My understanding is that as virus's evolve, they select more for transmissibity over potency, but I've no idea how much or over how long a period that takes (like, months or decades).

Two Pups is a good spot for coffee alright. And it's just down the road from Drop Dead Twice which is a decent hipstery bar on Francis Street. There's also a 3FE on Clanbrassil street iirc. As well as Vice Coffee and Baste BBQ.

What part of D8 are you in Errlloyd? If it's the South Circular part the Headline Bar is a very good pub. And if you wanted to go a bit further there's a lot of good spots in Rathmines which is in walking distance.

Last time I was in there, The Headline had Soulwater craft beers on tap. Their Bulletproof IPA was an incredibly good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Would also recommend Luckys on meath street. Always have exhibitions, markets, events going on
    Nice spot..

aloooof wrote: »
    Last time I was in there, The Headline had Soulwater craft beers on tap. Their Bulletproof IPA was an incredibly good beer.

They do/did Scraggy Bay on tap as well. Which makes the place an automatic go to for me.

After it had killed over 50 million people... we're on about 4 million deaths from covid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Don't drink tea or coffee either.

Chai lattes on the other hand…

#hipstermolloy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This is a great topic. Where’s the best outdoor hospitality now?

Advertisement