Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Would a variant be more likely to emerge when the virus is fighting against a healthier immune system? Suppose you took two islands, one with a hundred million 30-somethings, the other with 100m folks over 70 and just let Covid run wild on each - everyone unvaccinated. You'd obviously see far higher death and serious illness on geezer island, but I wonder if a variant would be more likely on young-pup island, given the greater evolutionary pressure on the virus fighting stronger immune systems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

I see Bill Cosby's conviction has been overturned and he has been released from prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This is a great topic. Where’s the best outdoor hospitality now?

The Headline has made a good go of it, but they're really hampered by lack of space. It's right next to the South Circular so you can't fit many people along the narrow path.

A few places on Camden Street are doing outdoor dining. Hang Dai has opened up a street food service in the window of their restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is there anywhere more seaside that has a terrace? As in outdoor, couple of pints, sea view.

I wouldn't venture into Dublin much, feral place full of headers, but that might swing it for me. This midlands lad needs proof the ocean is still there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is there anywhere more seaside that has a terrace? As in outdoor, couple of pints, sea view.

I wouldn't venture into Dublin much, feral place full of headers, but that might swing it for me. This midlands lad needs proof the ocean is still there

Findlaters in Howth has a fab rooftop beer garden, you'll need to book though

Witherspoon Dun Laoighire too

I spent a fab afternoon recently at the White Sands in Portmarnock amazing sea views

Theres a couple of places in Malahide too

• Advertisement

I'm almost a bit taken aback at how good the Loki series is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I see Bill Cosby's conviction has been overturned and he has been released from prison.

It would remind you of Royce Burke-Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Some off topic today
    Covid
    Coffee
    & Cosby

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just watched the latest episode. It really has been good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,659 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm not a big Marvel fan to be honest, didn't watch a lot of the avengers movies. But I thought Wandavision was good, bit slow at the start, Falcon and the winter soldier was wholeheartedly meh, but Loki's been unreal, even without not being aware of a lot of the backstory it's very entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Where does it fit in timeline wise with the rest of the MCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Some off topic today
    Covid
    Coffee
    & Cosby

Sounds like the law firm from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Where does it fit in timeline wise with the rest of the MCU?

Technically directly after the first Avengers movie. But in Endgame they created a new timeline when doing that ridiculous time travel stuff when he escaped custody after the events of the first Avengers. So it isnt part of the MCU timeline we know.

Yes it's time travel/alternatively timeline stuff, but it isn't that heavy on that. It's still very much Loki. Owen Wilson is very good in it too.

I'm not a big Marvel fan to be honest, didn't watch a lot of the avengers movies. But I thought Wandavision was good, bit slow at the start, Falcon and the winter soldier was wholeheartedly meh, but Loki's been unreal, even without not being aware of a lot of the backstory it's very entertaining.

Might give it a go then. I'm very meh about marvel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I've been very supportive and understanding of strict government measures all throughout covid and even I have to admit I'm fairly flabbergasted at some of the stuff coming out of Ireland the last couple of days. They wouldn't have opened indoor hospitality until late September without the vaccination caveat?? Fairly mental stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It's taken the ingredients of Thor:Ragnarok as it's model. Humour, a knowing sense of it's own ridiculousness, a bit of warmth, a touch of camp, and absolute commitment to whatever setpiece and drama it's building towards.

A proper "comic book" approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bazzo wrote: »
    I've been very supportive and understanding of strict government measures all throughout covid and even I have to admit I'm fairly flabbergasted at some of the stuff coming out of Ireland the last couple of days. They wouldn't have opened indoor hospitality until late September without the vaccination caveat?? Fairly mental stuff

That's only since the data they've collected about the increased danger from the new variant though. Professor Nolan's thread from this evening is a really good read explaining what they found, and the difference in the model once they add in the perceived increase danger of the new variant:

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1410318244947402752?s=20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Covid is going to continue having variants for years to come. The ideal scenario is that it eventually develops a variant that is wildly transmissive but not that serious - i.e. the same as the other coronaviruses we are used to living with.

It's taken the ingredients of Thor:Ragnarok as it's model. Humour, a knowing sense of it's own ridiculousness, a bit of warmth, a touch of camp, and absolute commitment to whatever setpiece and drama it's building towards.

A proper "comic book" approach.

Yeah that's a very fair summation of where things are. Taika Waititi and the Russo's were very smart collaborations for the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That's only since the data they've collected about the increased danger from the new variant though. Professor Nolan's thread from this evening is a really good read explaining what they found, and the difference in the model once they add in the perceived increase danger of the new variant:

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1410318244947402752?s=20
    And there are real world examples that back this up. Missouri has roughly the same number of fully vaccinated people as we do (38%) and are getting really slammed by Delta. Hospitals in Southern Missouri are having to send patients hundreds of miles away as they can't handle them.

Edit: Just saw this. Not good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Clegg wrote: »
    Two Pups is a good spot for coffee alright. And it's just down the road from Drop Dead Twice which is a decent hipstery bar on Francis Street. There's also a 3FE on Clanbrassil street iirc. As well as Vice Coffee and Baste BBQ.

What part of D8 are you in Errlloyd? If it's the South Circular part the Headline Bar is a very good pub. And if you wanted to go a bit further there's a lot of good spots in Rathmines which is in walking distance.

I am moving to Cork St, around the junction with Marrowbone Lane. It's a tiny bit of a dry spot for pubs and coffee. Meath St is about an 8 minute walk for Legit and Luckys. South Circular is about the same for Marlowe and Co and Noshington. I don't think Rialto village is a million miles away, and it seems to have a few spots. The Circular for instance.

Some great tips in here. I'll check out the headline and luckys as soon as I can.

I currently rent on Charlemont St - so Ranelagh, Rathmines, Camden St, etc are all on the doorstep. Pretty spoiled for choice!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

errlloyd wrote: »
    Speaking of coffee, food and pints.

I recently (bragging here) managed to buy an apartment in Dublin 8, which was a horrific process but I am incredibly glad to be done.

Anyone have any recommendations for food, drink, caffeine, or other random odds and ends in the Liberties / D8 sort of area?

Second shout for 2 Pups. The Thomas House would be a regular haunt in normal times. Great beer selection and tunes.

A little further afield in Kilmainham, The Royal Oak is great.

Noshington on the siuth curcular is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am moving to Cork St, around the junction with Marrowbone Lane. It's a tiny bit of a dry spot for pubs and coffee. Meath St is about an 8 minute walk for Legit and Luckys. South Circular is about the same for Marlowe and Co and Noshington. I don't think Rialto village is a million miles away, and it seems to have a few spots. The Circular for instance.

Some great tips in here. I'll check out the headline and luckys as soon as I can.

I currently rent on Charlemont St - so Ranelagh, Rathmines, Camden St, etc are all on the doorstep. Pretty spoiled for choice!

Cork Street is within walking distance of a good few spots. There's Spittalfields by the Coombe which is pretty good. And Two Pups and Drop Dead Twice are down the road on Francis Street.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is two pups near the knitting shop on Francis St?

• Administrators Posts: 53,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I see that in the week when Ireland announced delays to reopening, and even suggested they would have delayed until September without the vaccine caveat, NI has announced that live music is now allowed to resume for indoor hospitality.

Stheno wrote: »
    Is two pups near the knitting shop on Francis St?

Down the bottom towards Cork Street. No idea where the knitting shoo is.

dregin wrote: »
    Down the bottom towards Cork Street. No idea where the knitting shoo is.

Right on the corner across from the hotel?

Stheno wrote: »
    Right on the corner across from the hotel?

Jesus, I would have said Fallons, but yep; looks like there's a hotel over there now.

dregin wrote: »
    Jesus, I would have said Fallons, but yep; looks like there's a hotel over there now.

Yeah big enough one

The wool shop is beside another coffee place which is nice

I'll check next time I'm in

And I just realised I managed to introduce the subject of knitting into the rugby forum :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just managed to weave it into the off topic thread

Advertisement