Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Just managed to weave it into the off topic thread

Seamless

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah is Fallons closed down? That's very sad news.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ah is Fallons closed down? That's very sad news.

Nah, there's just a hotel mashed up against the side of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Stheno wrote: »
    Right on the corner across from the hotel?

Actually, i just checked google maps and there are now 3 coffee shops within mattress if each other. 2 pups is the OG. It was in a unit with 3/4 thrift stall you're things, but expanded to their spaces and then in next door. Best thing for it is google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Back to the Swiss crumbling under pressure that I know (but don’t love)

:(

Spain would bore you to death with their passing and non-existent strikers but fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Spain were so desperate to avoid penalties that I thought the might crumble under the pressure but that was one of the worst displays of penalty taking I've seen from Switzerland (Sommer was great again).

It's only halftime, but England are looking very good so far.
    Tournament football seems to be Southgate's forté

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's only halftime, but England are looking very good so far.
    Tournament football seems to be Southgate's forté

For reasons unknown my wife turned the game on. Thankfully our 3 year old daughter set her straight by shouting at her that she didnt want to watch that, but wanted the rugby instead. Now that's how to make her dad proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Croatia is the first European country I can remember in recent times with an actual road border: queues, angry looking border guards, passports for everyone, COVID certs for everyone. Like the good ol’ times. They even have their own currency, which looks expensive until you do the maths (math for dubinusa). Country is cheap as chips though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Got the J&J yesterday - has hit me like an absolute truck today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,659 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Teferi wrote: »
    Got the J&J yesterday - has hit me like an absolute truck today.

My parents got it a day apart about a month ago, my ma was grand and my da got absolutely smacked around by it, which was very quickly met with quips about man flu.

Did you get it through the HSE or through a pharmacy?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,543 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Going in for my second Pfizer tomorrow.

No effects from the first other than a slight tiredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Going in for my second Pfizer tomorrow.

No effects from the first other than a slight tiredness.

I've had both mine and thankfully nothing more than a slight pain in my arm each time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    I've had both mine and thankfully nothing more than a slight pain in my arm each time.

I had both mine. Was flattened for a week both times with joint pain and inability to sleep

Still done now

My parents got it a day apart about a month ago, my ma was grand and my da got absolutely smacked around by it, which was very quickly met with quips about man flu.

Did you get it through the HSE or through a pharmacy?

Got it through a pharmacy. He said he had about 40 doses and then was hoping for more today but didn't seem confident - I think there will be a bit of a backlog in the chemist system.

• Administrators Posts: 53,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I had no real reaction to both Pfizer's either.

I see Eamonn Ryan is talking about August now for indoor dining. :rolleyes: They must be getting tired moving the goalposts so much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    I had no real reaction to both Pfizer's either.

I see Eamonn Ryan is talking about August now for indoor dining. :rolleyes: They must be getting tired moving the goalposts so much.

I put my reaction down to a. Possibly having had Covid and b. I only weigh 55kg so the vaccine dose hit me harder tbh

I'm sick of the lack of clarity from the govt

• Registered Users Posts: 21,659 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Got it through a pharmacy. He said he had about 40 doses and then was hoping for more today but didn't seem confident - I think there will be a bit of a backlog in the chemist system.

Good stuff, yeah any of the pharmacies I spoke to when I rang them over the weekend were in fire fighting mode around here, one around the corner had to take the phone off the hook on Friday because they're only a small independent place and as soon as the announcement was made they had hundreds calling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I put my reaction down to a. Possibly having had Covid and b. I only weigh 55kg so the vaccine dose hit me harder tbh

I was flattened for two days after both Moderna

I am very much not 55kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Only had the 1st Pfizer so far, with no side effects other than a slightly sore arm. Hopefully it's the same with the 2nd dose

• Advertisement

I will add my voice to the definitely-not-55kg (read: fat bollix) crowd and still got flattened.

• Administrators Posts: 53,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I went for a feed of pints the same day I got my second dose and the day after, so this may be a way to avoid having a reaction.

Not yet scientifically proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The problem is that they don't have clarity. They can't give us clarity if they themselves don't have it. Its a swiftly evolving situation where the more info we have the better prepared we'll be. We just have to wait to get that info and hope it doesn't run contrary to the data gathered previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

fitz wrote: »
    What does it mean for the 36% then? If it's only effective against infection for 64%, then it was ineffective for 36%. There's no other way to read that data.

There is, unfortunately.

Your maths only works if 100% of unvaccinated people would catch Covid in identical circumstances. No virus in history has ever been that virulent and Covid certainly isn't, even the Delta variant is nowhere close. That's sci-fi movie stuff.

A better way to think of it is if 1,000 unvaccinated people and 1,000 vaccinated people behave in exactly the same way and are exposed to exactly the same risk: if 100 unvaccinated people and 36 vaccinated people get it, then you have 64% efficacy.

Or put it another way. 64% efficacy means you're three times less likely to catch the virus than an unvaccinated person.

But I'll bet that many of those Israeli infections were in people who had only recently had their second dose. As more people become vaccinated and for longer, the problem will resolve itself.

If you want something to worry about, it's that so many people (esp in the UK) have had the AZ vaccine which is rubbish in comparison.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,543 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    I went for a feed of pints the same day I got my second dose and the day after, so this may be a way to avoid having a reaction.

Not yet scientifically proven.

I wish to subscribe to your methods

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

I will add my voice to the definitely-not-55kg (read: fat bollix) crowd and still got flattened.

I'll add myself to this list too. Achey all over within a couple of hours of first jab, with headache too, and them completely wiped out the following day, had to be woken up for lunch and dinner, and I love my grub.

If you want something to worry about, it's that so many people (esp in the UK) have had the AZ vaccine which is rubbish in comparison.

Both my folks got AZ... It's absolutely worrying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I've been pretty phlegmatic about the vaccine rollout, but after several weeks of being registered (I'm 38, registered the first day) and no sign of a registration text (I've logged in to make sure there isn't a glitch, there isn't), it's starting the get a little frustrating. Not only have 18-34 year olds opened up via pharmacies, 30-34s are opening shortly, and plenty of places down the country have loads left over and are doling it out to 20 year olds or whatever. Most people I know in their 30s have at least one dose, if not two at this stage.

Citiwest seems to have massive delays, the one my area is assigned to. My partner is 40, waited 4 weeks for a text, nothing, had to call them up three times to get it sorted. Another week delay after getting the text though.

Maybe if there are such obvious delays, and bugger all delays in other rural areas, it might possibly, just possibly point to the need for there being another bloody vaccination centre servicing this highly populous area.

Ah, I'm just venting. But it is starting to frustrate me quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

There is, unfortunately.

Your maths only works if 100% of unvaccinated people would catch Covid in identical circumstances. No virus in history has ever been that virulent and Covid certainly isn't, even the Delta variant is nowhere close. That's sci-fi movie stuff.

A better way to think of it is if 1,000 unvaccinated people and 1,000 vaccinated people behave in exactly the same way and are exposed to exactly the same risk: if 100 unvaccinated people and 36 vaccinated people get it, then you have 64% efficacy.

Or put it another way. 64% efficacy means you're three times less likely to catch the virus than an unvaccinated person.

But I'll bet that many of those Israeli infections were in people who had only recently had their second dose. As more people become vaccinated and for longer, the problem will resolve itself.

Not True at all.
    Going by clinical trial results alone the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna jabs have the highest efficacy – scoring 95 per cent and 94.1 per cent respectively. However, as data from mass administration of the vaccines begin to emerge we are getting a clearer picture on the real-world effectiveness of all of the jabs.
    For example, data from Public Health England in May showed that both the Pfizer and the AstraZeneca jabs prevented 90 per cent of infections in the real-world after both doses.
    That's actually even better than the AstraZeneca jab's trial efficacy results, at 76 per cent after one dose and 82 per cent if the second dose is given 12 weeks later.
    Other vaccines do not yet have such strong real-world data to back up trial results.
    The J&J vaccine – which was tested in the United States, South Africa and several Latin American countries – had 66 per cent efficacy overall, but this varied depending where it was tested. For example, in the US the vaccine achieved 72 per cent efficacy, but in South Africa – where a new variant was running rampant – it was just 57 per cent.

• Advertisement

I've been pretty phlegmatic about the vaccine rollout, but after several weeks of being registered (I'm 38, registered the first day) and no sign of a registration text (I've logged in to make sure there isn't a glitch, there isn't), it's starting the get a little frustrating. Not only have 18-34 year olds opened up via pharmacies, 30-34s are opening shortly, and plenty of places down the country have loads left over and are doling it out to 20 year olds or whatever. Most people I know in their 30s have at least one dose, if not two at this stage.

Citiwest seems to have massive delays, the one my area is assigned to. My partner is 40, waited 4 weeks for a text, nothing, had to call them up three times to get it sorted. Another week delay after getting the text though.

Maybe if there are such obvious delays, and bugger all delays in other rural areas, it might possibly, just possibly point to the need for there being another bloody vaccination centre servicing this highly populous area.

Ah, I'm just venting. But it is starting to frustrate me quite a bit.

Am in the same catchment area...I'm in the 40-44 cohort, and I waited the three weeks from registration date that they said I'd get a text within, and then rang the HSE line first thing the morning it went past 3 weeks. They escalated and I got a text the following day, appointment 5 days later. Give that a try maybe. I know a couple of 39 year olds who were done Monday, both after a frustrating wait like yours, and both of whom got texts last Friday. So hopefully you won't be waiting much longer.

But pretty clear the Citywest catchment should have had another vaccination center to serve it alright... There's clear delays even against other Dublin centres, never mind the rural ones.

Advertisement