Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That is a **** stupid law

It's just utterly absurd. He shot three people killing two and a claim of self defence (despite being the aggressor) has been successful. It is absolutely outrageous that this kind of (at best) vigilantism has just been sanctioned when his response was incredibly disproportionate in regards to the two deaths.

I think his attendance at a black civil rights protest heavily armed tells me everything I need to know about him and why he was there.

Things will kick off again now, and white supremacists like Rittenhouse have just been given carte blanche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

A just outcome, I think. The second a third shootings were just open and shut self-defence. The only one there could have been any debate over was the first shooting of the child rapist who chased him and tried to grab his gun.

He shot three people killing two. It's an outrageous over use of force and only a country that bends over backwards to justify the use of guns in any and all situations would return a verdict like that.

If the same situation played out anywhere in Europe or most developed countries he'd get 30 years and it would be 100% justified. He is a murderer, and the court in Wisconsin just opened up the floodgates to justify the unjustifiable.

I've no idea what skin you have in the game to be supporting him, albeit if I recall correctly some of your historical comments I can probably guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm not surprised by the verdict! But, different states have different laws. Some states are open carry and some are concealed carry. There's going to be aggro in Kenosha.

• Advertisement

To protect the ability for people to walk around armed at all times, the US has created utterly insane self defense rules allowing entirely non threatening and certainly not fatal situations to develop into fatal shooting incidences.

Incredibly broken, stupid country.

The Ahmaud Arbery trial outcome has the potential to be much worse tbh.

I think the case in Georgia is more clear cut! Guilty will be the outcome. Deservedly so.

You are more confident than I. I will agree it should be clear-cut.

Strange comments. People behave according to the laws of the country they are in - or, if they are alleged to have broken the law, they are tried by that country's/state's laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A failed state slowly consuming itself. That’s all that place is at this stage.

Some of the comments coming from Republicans / Right wing commentators are obscene and celebratory. I mean, there is one thing thinking he is innocent in a legal sense, but to be happy almost gleeful that he killed two people and won't be punished is sociopathic and it seems concerningly wide spread (and not just in the US).

I increasingly wonder has the world around us become more indecent the last decade or so.

That a contrivance of laws and loopholes exist which allows a person in no danger, drive to a location, point a gun at people and ultimately shoot two unarmed individuals because of what was, at worst, a scuffle is a sign of a completely broken judicial system.

Morally, by any standard - he is completely guilty of ending two lives with nothing remotely approaching justification.

And I guarantee you this is going to snowball. People like Rittenhouse, driven by the same supremacist attitudes are going to be showing up at every rally or protest held by people they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nah, the Arbery case is being called a modern day lynching. And that’s exactly what it is. But it’s just a continuation of issues that have been allowed to persist for generations. It’s coming to the fore again but only because it never really went away.

The race thing in America epitomises how messed up their entire society is. It’s something any country with an ounce of maturity or decency would have addressed decades ago, but the States has allowed it to fester and develop into a real powder keg because far too many people are too focused on what they can get for themselves. A society that is literally built on “what can I get for me” was probably never going to go any other way.

EDIT: That said, we aren’t exactly the model for a responsible adult society as Covid is currently showing us. People saying they need direction on how to behave when all we’ve been getting for almost 2 years is direction on how we should behave shows me we are going down a very similar path. Individual focus over societal.

God, the Covid thing drives me mad. Without wanting to massively go down that rabbithole, people who complain about the authorities recommending not to do certain things without outright banning them. Since when are we so obsessed with the govt controlling everything we do!?

Boys! Knocking the ball bag of the U.S is getting old! Europe has justice systems that is gash! Look at the shitbags in Ireland! The drug cartel murderers doing LIFE? What? 8 or 9 years? There's no weapons in Ireland and yet, there's drug dealers getting shot frequently.

There's racism everywhere. I see it all the time. I've seen it in Ireland. There will never be equality! There will never be a racism free word! There has never been a Utopia or any crap like that.

I see that refined European football fans on you tube mocking African players. I once saw someone throw a banana at a player. Europe, is as fcuked as the U.S. The idea that crime and racism is just American, is a joke. Look at the situation Belarus! Poland wants nothing to do with the refugees. Are the Poles racist?

I often think about the world, how people's perception of 1 nation is one way and yet there's no or very little commentary about the treatment of women or guys in middle east nations!

America isn't perfect, but Europe is no better. Never has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Your drawing of false equivalences and whataboutism is utterly tiring.

America isn't perfect, but Europe is no better. Never has been.

Its **** way better. The situation in US does not absolve Europe of all ills, everyone can improve. But its objectively worse in the US on pretty much every metric you can think of

Also the average time served for life in Ireland is about 20 years and you remain on remand for life.

What false equivalences? Europe is so much better? Really? No racism or violence in Europe. Lol.

How is it worse? Is it not crap in the slums of Paris? Or Warsaw?

Is Europe in a perfect situation! Absolutely no and never! Have anyone of you been to the U.S?

You talk a lot about America and it's culture. You all are probably on one of Zuckerbergs **** apps? Most of you probably order crap on Amazon. American companies employ millions.... in Europe!

I understand the views that are expressed. I have similar views on other things, but the total hatred of America by some on here is weird.

I don't disagree that there's crappy problems here. But, there's no doubt bigger and worse problems elsewhere.

I know people who have done time in Ireland. For a variety of offenses and the Irish judicial system is not perfect.

• Advertisement

Spent a lot of time in America, have a lot of American friends, like America.

Politics and the justice system in America are a complete disaster and utterly broken. It has a massive knock on impact on everything from healthcare to education.

For a country with such wealth, America has astonishing poverty immense wealth inequality, appalling crime an extremely unhealthy population with a low life expectancy. The fact that America still struggles with literacy highlights just how badly governed it is.

This isn't an attack on you, or on America people, this is just people talking about reality. The warped and highly manipulated public discourse that has allowed standards to fall so low is no friend to anyone in America.

As for Europe, on most quality of life metrics European countries score notably higher, not just slightly but notably higher. No one is saying it's perfect, no one is highlighting this in a competitive way - just pointing out how things can and should be in relatively normal functioning democracies.

Maybe rather than project nonsense onto Europe, you looked at the US in an honest pragmatic fashion and asked how can it be better.

It won't be better! It is what it is. Just like everywhere else. There's poverty everywhere! Homeless everywhere! Drug addiction everywhere and crime everywhere!

Equating someone saying Europe is better on some metrics than than US with a claim that Europe is perfect is a false equivalence.

But Europe has it's shitshows too! There's minge all over Europe!

I don't like the justice system here either! There's levels of justice. But it's not just an American issue

Jason Quigley fighting for the title tonight! Best wishes for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

I would pay a lot to see a black dude walk out of court having killed 2 white people and maimed a third at a MAGA rally he rocked up to with an illegally held assault rifle to protect something or other. I can't imagine cops giving him hi 5s in that scenario. Laws are one thing, the manner in which they are enforced is another.

Just watch the show over the coming weeks! It's going to be nasty!

Glenn Greenwald good as usual on the Rittenhouse case:

https://rumble.com/vphnor-the-rittenhouse-veredict.html

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am closing this thread for tonight. This is not the politics forum, I think us mods are going to have to review the decision to allow politics in this thread as it has become overwhelming at times.

This is supposed to be a fun, light-hearted thread that requires little to no moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Reopening this.

Political discussion of any kind is no longer permitted in this thread.

Advertisement