Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Rewatching the wire at the moment. Pity they can’t make TV like that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Great show! That is a binge worthy show! Except for Rome, I can't think of any show that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭b.gud

Anyone had the covid booster yet? How did it compare to the first/second dose? Due to get it next week and trying to figure out if I'll be couch bound or able to get a few things done

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Got it last week and barely a sore arm. Talking to a colleague who got it Monday and he was wiped out, has to take yesterday off. Very variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lol! Right! What a show. Season 1 of line of duty was really good. But then it kind of fizzled. I'm watching money heist atm, very good show!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oh got it last week, sore arm for a day or two and a bit tired

I got it today and have some joint pain same as with my first dose but much milder

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rome was an absolute masterpiece. Such a pity that it cost a fortune to make and the second season had to condense 3 seasons worth of content into one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Never even heard of Rome until dubinusa posted about it. Must give it a watch.

Never heard of Rome before either. Is that on anything other that Now TV?

I'd assume it's on HBO Max. So however you get that.

Or you could sail the high seas.

Either way - it's definitely worth a watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Rome is absolutely stellar. In some ways it just came too early, before really big budget TV was a thing. Though I think it also helped usher that in so swings and roundabouts.

Looking to get a PCR test done privately just to give myself and my herself peace of mind before visiting my relatives for a day over Christmas. Been looking at the list provided here. Have any of ye any experience getting them done, or can recommend one? Requirements would be next day (early) results, price isn't too much of an issue, in or around the Dublin/Pale area would be preferential.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

why dont you book a public one? they are doing 1.5 million tests per week... if its for your peace of mind then id consider that a health reason

Ok so the gist of it is, I'm going to visit relatives on the 28th, haven't seen them in three Christmases for various reasons. We're isolating ourselves up until the 24th, then staying with her parents on the 24th, then my parents on the 25th and doing antigen tests before those days. Not an issue, as even if we catch it on the 24th, we wouldn't be contagious on the 25th. However, the 28th is a different story - hence me wanting to get as accurate and late a test done that can guarantee me results on the 28th, so I and my relatives have as much peace of mind as we can. Also so that if I do have something I obviously won't be visiting.

My understanding of the public ones were you can't book a specific day in advance and they don't guarantee results quickly - up to 2 days. So if I did a test on the 26th, it might show up negative but I still had caught Covid, etc and I wouldn't know. I know doing a test on the 27th is only a day later, but still more accurate.

I hope that all makes sense, and gives you the idea of what I'm looking for.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah that makes sense, and great that you are so wary of you visiting (probably elderly) relatives

if it was me though id do daily antigen tests (right through from the 23rd to the 28th) and if they are continuously negative then happy days.

100%, we're doing that too. Have the home antigen kits, will be doing them daily up to and including the 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I've used Randox and they're great. In and out quickly and results in about 20 hours

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We used one of the private ones last time, was very fast.

Last time I went with the public one I was waiting over 3.5 days for the result. Total mess.

Any idea which one you used?

In the last month I went private as was a close contact, got an early test slot and a result that evening. I similarly went public a few weeks later for one of my kids - got a late afternoon test slot and result the next morning. Disparity - but not a dramatic one.

Many of the private testing sites don't take people who are symptomatic either, worth bearing in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

We got PCR tests done near dundrum. Gosafe 48?? Had the results back in about 5 hours.

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think GoSafe is what we used, but you aren't supposed to use them if you have symptoms. It's more to confirm you're negative.

That's ok, that's my plan - to be negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Good question posed in the Guardian today: is Omicron actually milder, or do enough people now have antibodies (from previous recovery and/or vaccines) to help fight it off?

Getting a clear answer to that question will take a while, since so few people will be both (a) unvaccinated and (b) never had some variant in the past.

Used Randox in Sandyford very efficient and got the result in less than 24 hours. That was over a year ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Answer to that will come from South Africa first.

They've less than 30% (I think) of their population vaccinated and signs starting to emerge already that omicron could be the best thing that's happened since the beginning of the pandemic.

Virologists there talking about the peak of omicron could be as early as right now, and that delta could be totally obliterated out of existence by omicron in a matter of weeks.

Evidence so far appears to all point to omicron being significantly milder. With 3-4 times the infection rate of delta, and huge jump in case numbers, hospitalizations have remained steady and even dropping slightly in SA.

Shame it's not being reported more imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

South Africa has low vaccination but massive levels of prior infection. That is likely reducing the impact of the current wave in terms of severe illness.

It is still way too early to say that omicron itself is less severe.

Advertisement