Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Apparently they are from prison riot squads. Hence being from the DoJ.

Ah good.

What's needed is people with military intelligence, but looking like ordinary people.

What we get is people with ordinary intelligence, trying to look like military.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone with a decent knowledge of graphics able to help me with this issue?

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AMLILXwFgt3UHmc&cid=37613539E6AF1526&id=37613539E6AF1526%2145464&parId=root&o=OneUp

I've been trying to Overclock my card a bit and it is a little unstable. This is warzone, occasionally all the textures go black (it wipes from right to left). I still have the HUD (as you can see) and in that case had those circles of texture.

When I got killed the killcam was fine, Gulag was fine. and I redeployed and played the rest of the game fine.

I can revert to default and it'll be fine, but it should be able to handle this and it would help.

What are temps like?

I'm not sure, I had this issue shortly before my GPU failed so I'd go easy on the overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Probably worth saying what card it is and which version (is it a reference card or Gigabyte/Zotec/MSI etc).

A lot of cards are probably pushing the limits as it is depending on what kind of overclock you're trying to do unless it's a bigger card with beefy fans/cooling pipes.

Probably worth saying what card it is and which version (is it a reference card or Gigabyte/Zotec/MSI etc).

A lot of cards are probably pushing the limits as it is depending on what kind of overclock you're trying to do unless it's a bigger card with beefy fans/cooling pipes.

I've an RTX 2080 and the cooling in my PC isn't quite good enough in certain game engines to maintain low enough temps for me to be happy.

I use MSI afterburner to switch profiles but I'm less inclined these days to overclock and there is less need imo.

I've an RTX 2080 and the cooling in my PC isn't quite good enough in certain game engines to maintain low enough temps for me to be happy.

I use MSI afterburner to switch profiles but I'm less inclined these days to overclock and there is less need imo.

Yeah it all really depends on the setup. A big case with decent ventilation shouldn't pose an issue once you've got a card that has decent cooling itself, but I've seen some big cards like a reference 1080 stuck in smaller cases with only a couple case fans really struggle to do anything over stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

What are temps like?

I'm not sure, I had this issue shortly before my GPU failed so I'd go easy on the overclocking.

Barely above 60c on the gpu. It's a Vram issue it's called the black hole or black void from my research.

It's a GTX 1060 6GB and it's an EVGA one.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IPVSLTC/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_WPu2EbF6EG1EZ

I'm not looking for high graphics or 4k. A stable 60 fps on an HD Ultra wide would make me a happy boy. I was overclocking the card slightly today which is when the problems started, but I'd really like that stable 60fps if I can get it. :(

errlloyd wrote: »
    Barely above 60c on the gpu. It's a Vram issue it's called the black hole or black void from my research.

It's a GTX 1060 6GB and it's an EVGA one.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IPVSLTC/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_WPu2EbF6EG1EZ

I'm not looking for high graphics or 4k. A stable 60 fps on an HD Ultra wide would make me a happy boy. I was overclocking the card slightly today which is when the problems started, but I'd really like that stable 60fps if I can get it. :(

Few forum posts seem to be suggesting pushing the core up by 12mhz increments as that's how they're timed, maybe give this a try:

stock voltage
    120% power
    +120 core (always use 12mhz increments, that's how this card is timed)
    +660 memory

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/max-safe-overclock-for-evga-gtx-1060-6gb.2951227/

I'm guessing Chauvin's only prayer to avoid lengthy imprisonment (no death penalty in Minnesota) is the fairly flimsy defense that he intended to restrain and not kill/hurt George Floyd. So establishing "intent" will be the main decision for the jury, i.e., was it some manner of "murder".

In which case, is it wise that so many fairly prominent public people refer to the case as "the George Floyd Murder"? E.g., Gov. Cuomo used this term today, and even had it written on his slides.

Chauvin's defence will surely set out to immediately establish that a fair trial cannot be held since the very decision that the jury need to make has already been made up in the public sphere and such ubiquitous terminology will bias anyone charged with that task.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

One of the police officers tried to talk him out of kneeling on Floyd twice, I can't find where I read it earlier but it's understood Chauvin was aware that what he was doing was outside protocol/reasonable etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Few forum posts seem to be suggesting pushing the core up by 12mhz increments as that's how they're timed, maybe give this a try:

stock voltage
    120% power
    +120 core (always use 12mhz increments, that's how this card is timed)
    +660 memory

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/max-safe-overclock-for-evga-gtx-1060-6gb.2951227/

This appears to have done the job!

Thank you so much.

• Advertisement

One of the police officers tried to talk him out of kneeling on Floyd twice, I can't find where I read it earlier but it's understood Chauvin was aware that what he was doing was outside protocol/reasonable etc.

I've no doubt you're right, I just think the discourse will hurt the case to convict him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,487 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I've no doubt you're right, I just think the discourse will hurt the case to convict him.

Nope

I don't expect anything that resembles a neutral, unbiased trial.

He's gonna be sent down for as long as possible.

Not that I have one atom of sympathy for him

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Where are they going to get 12 impartial jurors from?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,229 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Where are they going to get 12 impartial jurors from?

They ain't. There's no way a juror is going to be able to sit through that trial, deliver an innocent verdict and not be in fear of the safety of themselves and their families regardless of where the trial is heard.

There's little doubt that a man died due to the actions of another so I think a guilty verdict is pretty much a given regardless; the question is which charge sticks and whether the other officers are found guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'd be just as worried about the opposite, that a jury would end up with a couple of conservative hardliners who would refuse to convict a police officer regardless of the circumstances.

Sh1t would really hit the fan then.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can there be a bench trial instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Can there be a bench trial instead?

He might be offered a deal to avoid a trial for which he has no answer and the opportunity to serve jail time in a safe prison environment. General prison population would be ideal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Seems like we're positioning ourselves to loosen social restrictions at a faster rate than first anticipated. Bit anxious about that and what it means for the progression of the virus. But for the moment we look to have it under control. It's not like we could stay locked down forever either.

From what I can tell, the limiting factor right now is testing and tracing. Any localised outbreaks could be contained if we had that up to speed. A combination of our cultural attitude and lack of technology means we can't quite do what South Korea has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Clegg wrote: »
    Seems like we're positioning ourselves to loosen social restrictions at a faster rate than first anticipated. Bit anxious about that and what it means for the progression of the virus. But for the moment we look to have it under control. It's not like we could stay locked down forever either.

Did you say the pubs are opening next week? Woohoo!!!

That's how I'm interpreting your post ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »

They had to. People simply weren't observing the measures or even pretending to. Traffic on the road this week has been increased again. I've know people whose family members have turned up on their doorsteps after driving from the west for a day visit.

No point in having unobserved restrictions whilst punishing our economy. Hopefuly this compromise will see people work within the limits whilst allowing some aspects of our economy slowly open in a safe and controller manner.

With that said, I'm surprised to see them lift restrictions on hotels and shopping centres so quickly.

If hotels are to open, then surely they'll be lifting the travel restrictions in tandem with them also. It doesn't make much sense for a hotel to open in Killarney if nobody from outside of Kerry can stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Buer wrote: »
    They had to. People simply weren't observing the measures or even pretending to. Traffic on the road this week has been increased again. I've know people whose family members have turned up on their doorsteps after driving from the west for a day visit.

No point in having unobserved restrictions whilst punishing our economy. Hopefuly this compromise will see people work within the limits whilst allowing some aspects of our economy slowly open in a safe and controller manner.

With that said, I'm surprised to see them lift restrictions on hotels and shopping centres so quickly.

If hotels are to open, then surely they'll be lifting the travel restrictions in tandem with them also. It doesn't make much sense for a hotel to open in Killarney if nobody from outside of Kerry can stay there.

On hotels, the reports suggest they can reopen on the 29th of June. That's another 3 week cycle away. So by then we could see the lifting of county only travel restrictions if the infection rate remains low.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The wording in news articles is a bit odd, but I can only assume it's "20KM and within your own county". I mean, I live in North Kildare, 20KM gets me to the Customs House if I so desired, or close enough. Bit silly if it's just within your own county.

Anyway, by the next three week cycle we'll have seen if there's much of an impact from the protests there last weekend. See if things need to be tightened a bit again (can't imagine that happening though unless there's a massive uptick in cases).

Enforcement seems to have dropped off fairly significantly. There was plenty of checkpoints originally around here, on the main roads into the city centre and at other points heading out to popular spots like Howth etc, but they seem to be non-existent now. Which probably plays a huge part in things as people are always going to chance their arm if they know it's likely they won't get caught.

The wording in news articles is a bit odd, but I can only assume it's "20KM and within your own county". I mean, I live in North Kildare, 20KM gets me to the Customs House if I so desired, or close enough. Bit silly if it's just within your own county.

Anyway, by the next three week cycle we'll have seen if there's much of an impact from the protests there last weekend. See if things need to be tightened a bit again (can't imagine that happening though unless there's a massive uptick in cases).

They clarified that it's your own county and you can extend to 20km into another county if you live in a border area.

I haven't seen any clarification on what constitutes a border area, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Leo is on in a few minutes. I'd just wait until we get the definitive answer.

Everything else is based on leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,761 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leo quoting Samwise Gamgee is probably the oddest part of this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

molloyjh wrote: »
    Leo quoting Samwise Gamgee is probably the oddest part of this whole thing.

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who noticed.

I wonder what way the reopening of the bars will work in hotels. I know they're saying they're only allowed if they have table service and serve food, but I'd say it'll get flooded fairly fast if it isn't a residents only situation.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Every pub in the country will be serving ham sandwiches this time next month :D

Advertisement